Chic, IL February 2004 Book Club

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Mos_Eisleian_Radio, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Here's info on the February meeting of the Errant Venture book club:

Saturday, February 28, 2004
    1:00 P.M.

Borders
    150 N. State St.

Specter of the Past by Timothy Zahn

We'll have lunch afterward at Bennigan's at Michigan and South Water.

Phil
  2. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    Half way threw it reading it at school and I have been only reading it for 3 days. Alas i have read it 3 times before though. If I don't get my insider today im gonna pop!
  3. ThomSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Why do you start new threads for each EV meeting? (or at least each of the city ones) There is already a thread for the book club, and since the forum provides links to the last few pages of each thread, right next to the thread title... I think it would be a lot simpler to contain it all in one thread. This is especially true because that thread is where the link leads in the header/footer "Upcoming Chicago Force Events" banner-thingy.

All you're doing is creating more work for yourself and another topic for people to wade through.
  4. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Because there's so much spam in the other thread that you never know what's going on...at least that's my assumption.
  5. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    That's the reason why I do it. It's hard to page through the thread and find the pertinent information on a meeting. Some months there are a few people who post asking when and where the next meeting is. I don't mind the main Book Club thread going off-topic necessarily, but it does preclude it from being a convenient way to communicate the details for each month. I only do the city meetings since those are the ones that I moderate.

Phil
  6. ThomSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I had a private rant at Phil late last night, so I'm not really angry about this anymore... but I have been thinking about it. My issue was never really with having the info in an easy-to-find place. I just find having yet another topic to skip over to be personally irritating.

So why not use the sticky thread at the top? The one where the year-long schedule is posted? Since we have no apparent time limit for editing posts, put one up for each of the three clubs, with the following info:
    - date
    - time
    - address of meeting place
    - other pertinent information (like the title of that
    month's book or some specific theme for Black Sun at the next meeting)

Then just revise the post whenever there's new information.

If I were a newcomer to the boards, that thread is the first place I would look to find out when and where things are happening.

It's just a thought. ;)
  7. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Soundslike a good plan.
  8. ThomSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey... it's me! :D

I will put up a post for the March EV meeting in the schedule thread, then. That way Phil and I can both edit it... him as City Rep (or do they not have such power?) and me as the poster. ;)

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Only the original poster can edit his or her own post. I have no power other than changing my name to blue. As far as a sticky thread, only a mod can create those. I could ask DarthJurist to start one, then one of us would post and update the information. I'd be happy to do that.

Phil
  10. JediAutobot Force Ghost

star 4
    Instead of a sticky thread for bookclub, one for collector, and one for rpg, why not a sticky for clubs in general, so all of us are grouped together. That way, all four of us can have a post in there to keep it updated. While I can see the arguement that it'll be to much in one spot, I prefer to think of it as your one stop shop.
  11. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    ok bump. Book Club tommorow. Specter of the Past at Borders on State at 1 p.m.; lunch at Bennigan's at 3 p.m

Ps Rogue are you going haven't gotten a reply from my PM's but what ever I will be there.
  12. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I won't be able to make it now; I have to pay off some moving karma.
  13. ThomSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, I was referring to posting the club notices in the existing sticky thread topic for Chicago Force schedules, but setting one up for "Chicago Force Club meeting info" (or something similar) would work too.

Oh, and I believe that Jurist and others at that level can edit posts not their own... wasn't sure if that ability extended to City Reps within their own forum, but obviously it does not. ;)
  14. Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Knight

star 3
    I had a great time today. You guys are awesome. I can't wait to talk about Vision of the Future. Of course, it won't be the same in Schaumburg without UFO guy and smelly boxing swearing guy.

See a bunch of you at the Black Sun Meeting in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, I will have found a bunch of figures by then.
  15. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    yes it was a good book club. DAN READ VISION NOW!
  16. JediAutobot Force Ghost

star 4
    So what did I miss after I left? I know there was, shall we say, a developing situation when I left early.
  17. Sithman Chosen One

star 7
    UFO guys? Smelly boxing guy?

Do tell! :D
  18. Amber_eyes Jedi Master

star 4
    Naw, you really had to be there. :p
  19. Rogue4809 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Why ruin all the fun for Sithman - he'll learn all about it when he moves down there! :p
  20. JediAutobot Force Ghost

star 4
    But I want to know too, and I did witness UPO guy as well, so doesn't that count for something?
  21. Sithman Chosen One

star 7
    Awww, I want to know what happened. :_|
  22. Rogue4809 Jedi Knight

star 1
    What happens at Border's stay at Border's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.