main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2017 Fanfic WORD RACE! (IT IS OVER POST YE FINAL COUNTS!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 22, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome to the February 2017 Fanfic WORD RACE!

Let’s face it, National Writing Month is fun, but writing 50,000 words in November just isn’t plausible for some people (students and people with dead muses) and can be intimidating for those that know they can’t make it even close. So this a similar idea (to turn off that inner editor and jut write!), with much less pressure and hopefully during a better time. The purpose of this is just to get people writing fanfic (and also to give a chance for people daunted by or unable to participate in Nano to see how fast they can write).

The rules are pretty simple:
    1. Sign up here!

2. Beginning Feb. 1st keep track of all the words you write for fanfics (FANFICTION OR RP POSTS ONLY! This is to encourage people to work on things that can be read here). It can be fics that you have already started, a new fic, heck; if you are the kind of writer that likes to write out very detailed plot outlines, included that too!

3. Post your word count every few days. I will keep a master tally.

4. Keep writing until the clock strikes midnight on Feb. 28th (SHORT MONTH WARNING!). Post a final count sometime on March 1st or 2nd.

5, Encourage your fellow racers! No pimping, but light discussion about plot lines is allowed. We all love feedback!

6. There will be no prizes this time. Only bragging rights and some fun competition.

Anyone is eligible to participate (and can sign up at any point in February).

If your muse needs a boost, I can post some prompts or something.

Participants
    A Blind Prophet - 19761
    Briannakin - 9280
    Chyntuck - 19691
    earlybird-obi-wan - 2800
    Ewok Poet - 36 385
    Findswoman - 5305
    Kahara
    mavjade - 4,189
    Mistress_Renata - 11,088
    Pandora - 2321
    Raissa Baiard - 12,826
    SatineNaberrie - 310
    yahiko - 3945

yahiko, Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Count me in, please! I always enjoy the motivation and encouragement these races provide, even though I can't guarantee how well I'll do.

Incidentally, is there a particular reason you're not offering colors or prizes this time? (I'm still glad to take part—just curious, is all. :) )

yahiko, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Without getting too into it, there are a number of reasons. One is simply that there will be an actual Mod Challenge pretty soon, so I want to save colours for that.

I'm not sure if I'll be participating this time around. I have a really weird semester - I have no term papers, but all my assignments are due in Febraury/early March, so I'm not sure I need the distraction.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm in! I'll be writing up the Eliskandro story/prize-fic for Findswoman that I already started outlining.

yahiko, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Motivation is always good. I'm in!

Also, it says " is allowed is allowed" somewhere.

6. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
  7. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I want to try
    Motivation would be nice.

8. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Shhh. It was a glitch in the matrix

Participant list has been updated.

I've decided to add my name to the list. My February isn't THAT horrible (I've survived much worse months). My personal goal is 3000 words. It is just over 100 words per day, but the total should make 2(ish) updates for my diary.

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'll give it a go. I've got a sequel to Hobbie's Law underway but nowhere near done, the Celtic challenge to tackle, and another story which is writing itself in my head but hasn't made it to paper yet (I need to do some research).

My problem is when I really get into the writing I might forget to keep track.

12. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Sounds worth a try! :) Sign me up.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AWESOME! More people participating despite me being a stingy butt with colours!

Kahara likes this.
  14. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm in. Gonna try to translate the first chapters of my fiction into English. Hope this is legit with this "contest" :p

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  15. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i'm in, the addition of stuff in the RPF helps me out a lot since that's mainly where i'm based. looking to expand outwards again.

yahiko and Kahara like this.
  16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Even though I shouldn't, because I have too many papers due, I'm going to join in this time. The muse is a little more cooperative at the moment and I want to take advantage.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it is fine as you are working on something that will eventually be posted here.

Come to the dark side, we have lower GPAs but much more fun :p

jcgoble3, Ewok Poet, yahiko and 4 others like this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I am in.
    My big move to a new home is done and I have some waiting to do with decorators, technicians and movers coming and going.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  19. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Word Race Tomorrow !

Let's get ready to rumble!
    *Cue inspiration jam

Let the creativity flow through you!

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Now that I feel like a toddler again :p (seriously, I remember watching that movie when I lived with my cousins)

Everyone can start writing as soon as the clock hits midnight in whatever timezone they live in!

Sadly, I have a mid-term tomorrow morning, so there probably won't be any post-midnight writing from me, AND I want to try to work on an essay tomorrow, so we shall see how much writing gets accomplished.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have guests in the evening and an important appointment before that, but I can't pick the time when I'll concentrate on things, so that doesn't mean anything.

My current #1 priority is to finish the remaining chapters of my fic-gift, then all the fanon challenges starting with the newest one, then the award fics I owe. Since the OTP challenge deadline is this month, too; I'll probably work on that as well. Everything else will be, well, random.

What are everybody else's priorities for this word race?

Findswoman likes this.
  22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
  23. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    My priorities are:
    --my 6 posts for February for my DDC
    --Finishing the last OTP challenge story :p
    --OTP holiday challenge

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i'd say for me, my main goals are to keep up with the RPG's i'm in, get a bit ahead in my DDC17 challenge (possibly challenges if i can get the second one going tonight), i have a story idea from the celtic song challenge, and then the actual challenge itself..., and then i have a few plot bunnies i have ideas for from the borrowed plot bunny thread. and there's the other song challenge as well, and the mod challenge...

which when i actually look at all of that, feels like a lot.

Findswoman likes this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have an idea that I'm itching to write, but I'm going to hold off for a few hours until midnight. Hopefully I'll be awake enough to work on it.

My priorities are
    my 2 DDC entires
    The Celtic Challenge idea I just got last night (though it's still kinda vague at this point it's the one I'm itching to write)
    The OTP challenge
    and to get ahead on DDC

Findswoman and Briannakin like this.