main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo February Activity - Life, the Universe, and Everything

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Handyman, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

Our February activity will be BYU's Science Fiction Symposium, Life, the Universe, and Everything XXI which is being held in the Wilkinson center February 13-15. There is a great lineup of lectures, workshops, and panels. You can see the tentative schedule HERE. As MiaTieska is on the Symposium comittee, maybe she can give us a final schedule. ?[face_plain]

Our own Matt Haupt(aka Renegade4E aka Jareth Dakk ;)) will be on several of the panels. Is there anyone else out there who is helping that I don't know about?

The specific activity for the Provo Fanforce will be the two-hour Star Wars costuming panel on Saturday, February 15, at 2:00pm. My wife and I are on the panel and will be giving a presentation on specific costume construction techniques for various Star Wars costumes. We're looking for volunteers to model several of our costumes during the presentation. Think of it as a sort of Star Wars fashion show. ;)

If you have your own Star Wars costume and would like to wear it to the event, that would be fine. If you would like us to talk specifically about techniques to create your costume in the presentation, please let me know.

Models who will be wearing costumes must be at the Wilkinson Center on Saturday the 15th at 1:00pm sharp in order to change into costume. I have a list of costumes that I would specifically like to model. If the list gets filled or there's a costume that won't fit you, I can add a few more costumes to the list.

Imperial/Bounty Hunter Costumes
    • Darth Vader - Already filled

• Jango Fett - Already filled

• Boba Fett - Already filled

• Imperial Officer

• Scout Trooper

• Royal Guard

• Stormtrooper

• Desert Trooper

Rebel/Republic Costumes
    • Jedi Knight

• X-Wing Pilot

• Padme - Battle Dress

• Princess Leia - hooded dress

• Princess Leia - medal ceremony

• Queen Amidala - Theed

• Padme - Tatooine

• Luke Skywalker - Bespin
    If you would like to model one of these costumes for the event, please post here. Or if you have any questions at all about the event or the costumes please let me know.

Later,

2. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Wow! Darnit, wish Provo wasn't so far away. Sounds like you all will have fun! By the way, are the people in the outer frame of this board actual people from Provo in costume? Anyway, chat with you all later.

3. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings SkalenFehl,

> Are the people in the outer frame of this board actual people from Provo in costume?

Yes. :D

Later,

4. LaurenFett

LaurenFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    COOL! I can DEFINITELY participate in this one, seeing as I'm in on-campus housing and won't need a ride anywhere! I'll take any costume that you wanna put me in, but I'd prefer one that wasn't girly (dresses really bother me for some reason...). I'll be hanging out around the sci fi thing practically the whole time, besides when I have work and classes. I'm excited!

5. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Michael would fit best in the Imperial Guard costume, and I'd be interested in the Queen Amidala (Theed) costume.

6. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I would love to try on anything that will fit me. I'm 6'2" and a little hard to tailor to. Please PM me so we can set up a time to find out what you have that I can wear. I'm a little tall for a stormtrooper. :p

7. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

LaurenFett: Well, you could go with either the Padme Tatooine outfit or the Padme Battledress. If neither of those interest you, I do have 2 complete X-Wing pilot costumes. It would be cool to have both male and female X-Wing pilots. :cool:

Navaren: I've got Michael down for the Royal Guard. Are you ok with wearing the headdress and makeup? Here's a photo of Amy wearing the Queen Amidala Theed dress in 1999. The headdress is actually quite light. ;)

Corrin_Wyndryder: You are on the tall side for Stormtrooper armor, but you would look fine as a Scout Trooper unless you are fairly skinny. A Jedi Knight or X-Wing pilot would also do.

Let me know on your final decisions.

Anyone else? :D

8. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    I'm just fine as far as the necessary accessories...no worries here.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm gonna be on at least two panels. :D Tolkien/movies one, and one about Jedi, I think. I can't remember at the moment.

Actually, costumes are kinda frowned upon, I think, since some people did some really outrageous ones. But I'll have to check.

Oh, that reminds me, I may also be doing a panel on costuming.

Dana

10. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Dana,

You mean wearing costumes to the Symposium in general is frowned upon? Correct? ?[face_plain]

Having people model costumes for the Star Wars costuming panel will not be a problem.

Later,

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Wearing costumes to the symposium, yes. Sorry if there was some confusion.

I don't know if there's gonna be a SW costuming panel, however. I asked to be on one, but didn't see one in the tentative schedule I was e-mailed. Oh, well.

The costuming panel I might be on, if the panel gets scheduled, is about quick and dirty costuming. Cheap tricks, basically.

Dana

12. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Actually Dana... There IS a Star Wars costuming panel; Saturday, February 15, at 2:00pm. For details, check the first post in this thread. ;)

13. LaurenFett

LaurenFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Ooooh! Oooh! I wanna be a X-Wing Pilot!!!!

14. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    OK, Lauren. Got it down. You're one of the X-Wing pilots! :D

15. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    You know. I just might be able to clear my schedule and make it down there if I leave Perry (by Brigham City) early enough. I would love to model the "Jedi Knight" Costume. Can you pencil me in tentatively? In other words, if something comes up last minute, because I live so far away, I would have to cancel, and I don't want to flake out like that. How much notice would you need? I would love to see Vader, the Fetts, and all the others. Plus I would love to learn how to make my costume which I am dying to do. Does it cost anything to attend, and is there a costume available for my son to model? He is 5'4" and interested. Actually, do you have patterns for sale to make Jedi Costumes? Sorry for all the questions.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Weird. That ISN'T the schedule they sent me . . .

Dana

17. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Hey Dana,

You better get an updated schedule. [face_plain]

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I really do need to, don't I?

Dana

19. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Thus wrote Dana...
    > I really do need to, don't I?

Actually, you don't. That is unless you were planning on helping out with the Star Wars Costuming panel. That's OK, however, because we will have plenty of help from other members of the Fanforce. ;)

Dana, I'm truly sorry I didn't mention this in my inital post, but I didn't know your real name until today...

According to my schedule of events for Life, the Universe, and Everything, Dana aka DantanaSkywalker aka realname Marianna will be on the following panels...
    • Peter Jackson's Take on Tolkien: Has Peter Jackson stayed true to Tolkien's trilogy so far? Will he do so in the future? - Thursday, February 13, 6:00pm

• The Nature of the Force: Does it have a mythological or scientific basis? How is the Force used? - Thursday, February 13, 7:00pm

• Quick & Dirty Costuming: Need a costume? Need it now? Learn how to get costumes, the quick and dirty way! - Friday, February 14, 12:00pm

• A Jedi Shall Not Know Love: A discussion of Jedi and their emotions. - Friday, February 14, 5:00pm
    Please don't forget to support our fellow member Marianna aka Dana in these panel events. :D

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm on FOUR panels??? Cool! I thought I was on TWO!

My weekend has been much improved. Now comes the stress . . . :D

Don't worry about it, I don't normally broadcast my real name.

Dana

21. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Ack! I didn't even see this thread b/c I haven't visited this board in awhile.

First thing -- I recently sent an updated media panel schedule but the webmaster hasn't updated it on the site yet. Not too many changes, well...okay, some, but mostly on Saturday. SW costuming panel is still at 2 pm.

Sorry, Dana, about the confusion with costuming panels. (There are several different costuming panels.) All panelists, including you, Mike, and Matt will be getting emailed the newest (and final) media panel schedule.

In fact, I may post the final media panel schedule here...any objections? I'll e the webmaster and see if he can update the media panels soon.

-Mia

22. Renegade4E

Renegade4E Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    I want to wear my Jedi costume, but since I'm actually going to be in the spotlight during the panels, I dunno... ;)

23. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    In case you missed my post, I would still like to try and make this activity and model the Jedi costume. I am 6 ft. tall, if that matters. I think I can make it all the way to Provo that Saturday but I also need to know if you have a backup in case something comes up and I can't make the drive. I've never been to one of these before and it sounds like fun, but I also don't want to inconvenience anyone. Please let me know. By the way, you said you and your wife make these outfits. Does she have patterns? I would like to be able to make some Jedi costumes. One for me and one for my son, who is about 5'4". Or maybe she can make one for me? Thanks for your consideration.

24. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I would love to be an X-Wing pilot, but if your Imperial Guard uniform is still open, I could do that as well. I'm not picky.

25. Tori_Dakk

Tori_Dakk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2002
    hmmm ok Mia, if you post it that'd be great I'd like to stop in and check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.