main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass February meet

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthIshyZ, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    In our Monthly Meets thread an idea was thrown out for the BeerAdvocate.com's Extreme Beer Fest next month. I love a good beer and any opportunity to get together with friends...

It's Feb 15th & 16th this year. I believe we would probably prefer Saturday the 16th, correct? I think this should be a car-pool thing for several reasons:
    1. Designated drivers.
    2. It's in Boston, the less vehicles to get lost, the better.
    3. I'm a tree-hugging liberal.
    I volunteer our big ol' Buick (Big Ugly Indestructible Car Killer) for one vehicle. We can also meet at my house to coordinate carpool. If someone else is closer with sufficient parking, that may be better. Who else can drive? How much interest is there?

2. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    What's the cost for the event?

Saturday's are no good for me usually and for an event like this, I would need to check the visitation schedule to see where the kids are scheduled to be.

I'm still thinking about it though. :)

3. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I've volunteered for the last 8 or 9 Festivals and went to a few before that as an attendee, and I'm one of the leaders for the line crew and speaker series. I usually work all three festivals, but I won't be doing that anymore. I was thinking of taking the Extreme Fest off this year, but now I've decided to work the first session on Saturday.

If you want to volunteer and give out wristbands for the festival, let me know. You'll be able to drink for free, as well as get one free meal. If you'd rather not volunteer, I believe it's $40 for a ticket to the event.

If you volunteer or buy a ticket, everyone receives a tasting cup and get's 2 oz. pours of beer, you can try as many beers as you'd like, as many times as you like. Just remember to drink responsibly.

WARNING: The Extreme Festival only offers beer with "extreme" alcohol by volume, everything is over 12% or so, and some are upwards of 20% abv. If you don't like strong beers this might not be the fest you want to come to (if you're going to buy a ticket, doesn't really matter if you're volunteering). The others, including the American/New England, German and Belgian Fests have aren't so "extreme".

4. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    I can car pool with anyone who is volunteering for the first session, because we have to arrive an hour or so before the Fest starts. I think it would be best to meet at my place in Waltham, as I'm right off 95 and only one exit from the pike. We can take my wife's Pathfinder into Boston and only pay for one vehicle.

Either way, I'm excited some people are thinking of going. It's a really well run event and if you appreciate craft beer, there's no better fest East of the Mississippi.

5. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I may be up for this. I need to see where I am with the house and all before I commit.

6. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I don't know if I'll be able to make this or not. After being away from my job here for all of January, it'll be iffy to request off so soon after my return. So I'll see what my schedule looks like closer to the date. I'm closer than anyone to this though, so I'd hate to miss out.

7. McLOVIN

McLOVIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    Not sure if this will be doable for me yet either.

I think we might have to tone down the "alcohol" discussion of this meet idea.

I believe it may be in violation of TFN rules.

But I think it sounds great and a lot of fun.

I have a question do you have to be 21 to attend?

8. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    Yes, 21 and up. If people want more information send me a message and we can talk off the forum, that way we can avoid breaking any rules on the boards.

9. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    Well, I obviously can't go. :(

10. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Maybe we should rethink the February meet. Not that it's a bad idea, but do we want to have a get together that one of our members can't legally attend?

How about we do Jillians, Good Time Emporium or a similar-type place?

11. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    They have bowling @ Jillian's, don't they? If so, I might be up for that. :)

12. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    If you're referring to me, I don't mind. Don't let my age get in the way of what all of you sound excited and happy about. There are plenty of other ideas we have for the rest of the year. :)

13. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    The BA event doesn't have to be the February meet, since it does exclude members, just something that if anyone's interested in attending they can do in addition.

14. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    There is a good possibility that I will be having a Superbowl party of sorts on Feb. 3rd.... I will know definitely in a couple weeks.

Just figured I would post something as thing thread has been lying dormant for a couple days... don't want to lose the momentum that the December meet/dinner brought, you know?

15. McLOVIN

Aug 19, 2007
    Ok folks February is getting close what do we want to do?

And let's pick a date also :)

So let's hear it

16. DeathProof

DeathProof Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2007
    I like the Jillains idea myself. Not a big fan of Boston so Worcester is the place I vote for.

17. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I've not been to Jillian's in a while either and we've been dying to play some stick.

I vote for Jillian's... or a place of that sort (Boston Billard's, London Billiards...)

How does Sunday, February 17th look for everyone!?!!?!

18. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    February's going to be tough...my best friend Ed's wife is going in for surgery, so he may have to play nursemaid for a while, depending on what they find (she has an ovarian cyst).

19. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I am out this month I have way too much going on right now. Maybe in March we can get back on track.

20. McLOVIN

Aug 19, 2007
    The 17th is bad for me I have to go into work that night.

Do we want to reschedule for March?

Maybe it will be warmer hopefully.

I think the cold months deter people from meets alot of the time also.

21. McLOVIN

Aug 19, 2007
    Alright I am going to say we put off the meet until March since a a few people can't make it.

I will put up a new thread for March.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.