main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN February Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    I curious why you're singing songs from "Annie" in the presence of others? I give a hard sideways glance with a slight frown with raised eyebrow to you. ?[face_plain]

But, on the subject of age.....
    I was nine when I saw ANH at the first theater release in 1977. I'll be 37 when EP3 is released. My parents are the only thing I've known longer than Star Wars.

2. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    JediToren tells me that he is too busy working with the Rebel Legion and doesn't have time to revamp the website.

Huh? I checked out that Rebel Legion site months ago and it doesn't look any different. ?[face_plain]

3. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Nice colors there Elan-rai. :p I guess JediToren is doing other stuff for them. I don't know what. I'm going to work with guber on the page layouts and he says he can help with it. I'm not thinking anything complicated, but just organizing it so all events aren't on one page. Then adding a few cool looking graphics and of course our logo to spruce it up a bit.

4. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    He's been tweaking the code on it. Now it works for Netscape 6.2 with classic skin. Also if you use Netscape 7.0 and 7.01 you see a little rebel symbol in the location bar. IE 4+ gives you a rebel symbol in your bookmarks. Added a bit to the forums for memebers only. Random stuff like that.

I don't even want to know what a rapper has to do with Annie.

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Scott, I'll PM you the FTP login information for NashvilleForce. I use #include files so there is only one page needed for the headers and graphics.

Rebel Legion's site is database-driven and uses Active Server Pages (a server-side scripting language). It is highly interactive and is kind of like a mini-software application. Most of the things I've been doing aren't cosmetic but functional. We just bought a zip code database and I am using that to display forum time and news time according to the time zone that the user lives in, automatically assign them to the correct base for their region, allow users to search within a given mile radius, etc. You wouldn't notice many of the changes unless you regularly visited the site.

There are also some really big features like a chat room and a media gallery that I am working on every now and again, as well as a non-frames version of the site.

6. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Actually, I wasnt singing Annie in public. I was just using it as an example. I was refering to any "old" song that is remade. Then all the kids only know that song by the "artist" that covered it.

Like:
    Cruel Summer
    Kashmir
    Turn the Page
    Come Together
    etc.
    etc.
    etc...

7. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, the hard facts are, more or less, Sunday, February 2, Embassy Suites at 5:00. I might not be there right at 5:00 (may be closer to 6 or 7), but this will be an informal get-together anyway. Just a dinner/discussion type thing, and a movie afterwards for whoever is up for it. Hopefully most of us will know for sure if we're going to DragonCon by then, so that's one thing we'll probably want to discuss.

Matt, is there a way to add an image section to the site? I have quite a bit of cool pictures from different Nashville Fan Force events that I would love to post for everybody to see. Might also be a good way to reel in some of the folks that haven't attended any meetings yet.

Also, I'm taking a few days off next week which should give me a chance to update the e-mail list and get out an announcement about our meeting. I'm also going to use this e-mail as our "roll call" that we discussed a while back, so that we can weed out some of the folks that signed up on a whim.

Scott, did you have to make reservations last year when we met at the Embassy? If so, I'll take care of that early next week too.

Oh yeah, Jeff, you've known me 3 years more than SW.

And as for the Annie song, just watch Dr. Evil and Mini Me's musical number from Goldmember. It is the funniest part of the movie.

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I did make reservations last time. However, the guy I made them with quit right before our meeting, which is why they didn't have any record of them. If I were you I would ask to talk to the manager this time, just to make sure. Since it's the week after the Super Bowl, I can't imagine there being a problem. BTW, Bryan & I are going to be working on updating the website, so if you have any suggestions, please e-mail them to me and we'll be sure to fit them in.

9. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    kindof along this same topic i was thinking about how every kid knows star wars.

the original figures started fading off the shelves in 1985ish.they then came out with the power of the force in 1986ish. only a few years later the redesigned "muscle" figs came out,what 1993-1994ish.then there has been star wars figs and toys for sale ever since.so only the few years around 1990 has there been a gap.There has been a star wars section in the toy store since 1977!any kids born in say,1980, would have been 6 or so when the power of the force figs came out ,then they would have been around 12-13 when the newer figs came back out.they would now be 22-23!their entire life has had star wars figs and toys in the stores.
    any kid born in 1990 would have been around 3 when the newer figs came out.just in time to capture their attention.every time they went to the toy area or toys rus there was a star wars area.they would now be 13 and still interested.
    its amazing that when we go out in costume that everybody knows who we are.except for a few adults that never got into the movie.havent met a kid yet that didnt recognize us.This generation has had this around as long as they have been alive.
    So many toys lines and cartoons have come and gone over the years.I got back into toy collecting in the early 90's.there were so many figs out there its crazy.hardly anything is still on the shelves.I would have to say that power rangers and transformers would be close.those have been on the shelves for nearly 10 years.

anyway its just cool to realize how these movies impacted everyone.who knows how long it will continue.

10. skyshark93

skyshark93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    Transformers have been on the shelves since 1985 when the original show was released in the states. Kind of like Star Wars, the toys were on and off the shelves, mostly whenever there wasnt a show currently on TV. But now we are in the middle of the return of the 80's, with re-releases of original g-1 transformers, He-man, Ninja Turtles, ect. It is indeed a very exciting time for toy collectors and children of the 80s alike.
    "Hippie Trooper"
    TK-7528

11. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    you know youre right,i remember transformers being out in the mid 80's and being extremely popular.

it seems that there was a "dead spot" around 1990.its as if all the ideas were used up and it all kinda dried up.then in the early 90's they came back out with star wars,transformers and thats when power ranger came out.
    I had started collecting spawn,aliens and predator figs at that time.once i hit 200 figs MOC i had to stop.i sold a bunch but still have tons in boxes in my closet.

12. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Since it's the week after the Super Bowl, I can't imagine there being a problem.

Yeah, but the Pro Bowl is that Sunday. Apparently Kevin Carter of the Titans will be in the Pro Bowl this year, so there might be some interest in the area after all.

13. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    So what time is this "Pro Bowl" that you speak of?

14. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    The kickoff is at 12:30. We might miss the crowd, but there might also be a little overlap.

15. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    This Sunday is a go! I just spoke with the manager at the Athletic Club and they will be expecting us this Sunday around 5:00. Hopefully everyone has received the e-mail as well.

For those not familar with the area, the Athletic Club is inside the Embassy Suite just off of I-65 in Cool Springs. From Nashville, go south on I-65 past Cool Springs Mall, take the Cool Springs Blvd. exit and turn left (back over the interstate). Look for the big building with an 'E' on the side. You can't miss it.

For those of you who were with us last year, this is the place where we had our April meeting, just weeks before the opening of Episode 2! This will be our first official meeting of 2003, so hopefully a lot of you will be in attendance. This will be a great chance for those of us planning on going to DragonCon to get our heads together, and also to discuss meeting/event ideas for this year.

Hope to see everyone this Sunday!

16. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I'll be there. After the business part of the meeting is over, I'd be glad to teach anyone who is interested how to make origami X-Wings.

Even you 501st guys would probably like to make those... after all, you need targets to shoot down, don't you?

17. DarthSiren

DarthSiren Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    As always, I'll check with the Mom, and check back with a yay or nay. I really hope we can make it. I haven't been able to go to a meeting in forever.

18. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Barring some unseen emergency, I'll be there.

19. DarthSiren

Jun 25, 2002
    I'll be there!

20. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Turns out I cant get out of work until 6. Meaning I would be there after 7. So I am not even going to try.
    Sorry I have to skip another meeting.

21. DarthSiren

Jun 25, 2002
    It was great to see you guys tonight. Look foward to our next one!

22. mynocknotyours

mynocknotyours Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Sorry I never make it to these meetings...it's not that I don't want to but I am just so busy. I will try harder to be at the next one. I wanted to bring my shuttle to show all the collectors, but I guess that will just have to wait!
    Hope everyone has a good time at DragonCon.

23. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Sorry you missed it Mark. We had a pretty good turnout last night. There were between 15-20 people. Good food & great company. :)

24. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    This meeting was great! I like it when we have the WHOLE place for our group. It makes the waitress hover around the table like a peasant at the palace party. Anybody who missed this meeting, missed a good group. It was good to see everyone again.
    Don't forget to get that check in the mail for DragonCon Tickets!

25. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, it indeed was a fun meeting as always. It was great having the whole place (for the most part) to ourselves. If anyone has any ideas for future activities or meeting places, please let me know. Does anybody have any objection to keeping the meetings on the first Sunday of every month? I plan on sending out a survey to everybody once we get our members list thinned out just to see what times/days/locations/etc. work best for everyone. And just so everybody knows, as of right now out of the 89 members we have signed up, I have gotten a response from 36.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.