main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KC, MO February Meeting

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by KC-Jedi, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC-Jedi

KC-Jedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 18, 2005
    Sunday Feb. 28th at 9pm.
    Since we had a decent turnout at the last meeting online let us do it again. I will post a link here and on Facebook to which site will host the meeting, kind of just like last time. : )

Things to be discussed:
    Planet Comic-Con - Who will hang out at Darryl's table and for how long each day.
    New name and logo for group - Nominations for new name of group will be taken. Voting will be held here on the TFN boards for one week after the meeting. If you have a nomination and a picture of the logo even better.
    Upcoming activities for March and beyond - If you have an idea, share it.
    Return of the Bantha - June 5th, 2010? Anybody already busy that day?
    Open floor - Anything you want to talk about?

2. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    Have to make a change to the agenda. June 5th may not work out.

3. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    June 4 is 98% sure going to be 'Star Wars night at the T-Bones', or so I'm hearing is in the works ;)

4. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    Cool, that is always a good time.

5. GsWookie

GsWookie Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    I'd also like to talk about possibly having a special "forum" for us on the 70th Explorers board for access and invitations to joint SW events so that we have a place to keep up on what's going on that's SW related in our city and also have volunteering opportunities with our local 501st and RL groups.

I think we should have Darryl mock up some Bantha Tipper and Moisture Farmer logo type things if he's got any ideas. Then maybe someone can scan them in and get them online for everyone to see.

One question I have regarding the Bantha Tipper name, will the Mando Mercs be upset w/ us if we use the Bantha Skull in our logo? Is it copyrighted?

ok, that's all I can think of for now! See you at the meeting!

6. UzTh4ce

UzTh4ce Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2010
    I understand that it's a little late to request for the Feb. meeting, but would it be possible to have future meetings earlier on Sunday? Say like sometime around noon? If we're doing online meetings, hopefully time won't matter quite as much. Given the time difference, 9pm will be 5am Monday for me and the thought of starting my day an hour and a half earlier isn't exciting. If it's not possible, I understand. I'll just keep catching the minutes when they're posted. Miss you guys - it really sucks not having Star Wars around here. Can't wait to be back this summer, though it looks like we'll miss the Bantha BBQ again. Take care and MTFBWY!

7. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    Changing the time may be possible here in the future. Depends what we can find on park shelters that will tell us when the BBQ can be held.

8. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    This is the link to click to attend the meeting.

http://www.dantooinerebels.com/chat.htm

9. SouthernSith

SouthernSith Jedi Master star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    I really doubt the Mando's will mind you using a bantha skull as a logo, seeing as their logo uses's a Mythosaur skull, not a bantha's.

10. GsWookie

GsWookie Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    So what skull is this then?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1tO7Lo2NQ1CiIM:http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/manual/iconography/shoulder-symbol.jpg

11. SouthernSith

Sep 9, 2007
    That's a Mythosaur's skull:
    Several years ago, some incorrectly labeled it as a bantha skull because of the horns coming down and it stuck. But it is not a bantha skull. Just because a google image search comes up with that as the first image and main image doesn't mean it's right(also note that in that image you've shown, the "teeth" are too short, so that image is incorrect as it is). A google image search of "Mandalorian Skull" produces the same results, but that doesn't mean it's a mandalorians skull. And you get the same results with Mythosaur skull and boba fett skull.
    But, back on topic, I don't think the Mando Mercs hold a copyright on that image, just as the 501 and RL don't hold the copyrights to the Imperaial cog and Rebel "bird". Those are held by Lucasfilm, I believe.
    Here's a list of insignia's and such from the SW universe that might help ya'll out a little:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gallery_of_insignia,_logos,_and_symbols

12. KC-Jedi

Jan 18, 2005
    That is good to know. I was on the Mercs website earlier tonight trying to find any copyrights that might be infringed if we used a bantha. Never saw anything anyways.

13. SouthernSith

Sep 9, 2007
    Unless I'm mistaken, all Star Wars copyrights are owned by Lucasfilm.
    I know I have an actual frontal shot of a bantha skull somewhere, I'll try to find it and scan it in for some reference if ya'll want a real bantha skull (which I personally think would be cool, especially if ya'll go with a bantha inspired name). Here is a side shot of a skull:

Notice the horns tips don't go down as far down on the face as on a mythosaur (which I believe are actually tusks, not horns, since they come out of the side of the face, and not the top of the skull like the Bantha's), and they also curve inward, like a spiral, and are ribbed (make your own Bantha jokes).
    And there's also talk that it could be the Skull of Jaing:

And from Star Wars Insider #80:
    But, if ya'll do plan on going with a Mando mythosaur/Jaing skull (which I don't think ya'll should as it could potentially lead to some confusion), please ask the local Mercs (Yustapir Clan) about it first, just out of respect. I doubt they'd have a problem with it, but by asking it would put ya'll in a more favorable light. Also, take a look at other FF's sites and see what they've done with their logo's. See how many actually have logo's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.