main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Febuary Book Club- Darth Mual (moved to the 10th due to snow)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    No Book Club Today!
    With the snow, and with JPCS and other area schools except the one I work in being out-- BC has been moved to next Monday, Febuary 10th.

So, more time to read. If someone needs a copy they can PM me to borrow mine. Also, if you haven't read the book-- feel free to join us anyway. I mean, were are just talking about Darth Maul!

Be safe, and May the Force be With You!

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I'll see you there!

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Be there or be cut in half but somehow still be alive ten years later with just your top half and no legs or vital organs like a colon or intestines. Oh, and your legs are made of trash.
    -So just be there :)

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    See ya there!

5. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Guys... this day has sucked. My deep apologies but we won't make this one. My mood is .... yulk, and I love you all too much to subject you.

However... We will see you soon and by the by.... this read was EXCELLENT! [face_batting]

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry your day sucked, hope things are better.

Good one on one discussion between me and Jammies, in depth as always.
    Thanks for the heads up on XWing Wave 4 Jammies!

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    By all means, post your thoughts on the book up on the board! I will. I had a blast with Mika talking the warz.

I had a lot of fun with this book (spoilers below, by the way), and read it in maybe 2 days. Schreiber writes 2-3 page chapters with small (and graphic) words that make it an easy read. Del Ray said they edited a lot of the gore out of this book, but Mika found some very graphic sentences. Del Ray also hyped this up to be a sort of companion to Darth Plagueis. Certainly the two books have connections, but comparing Lockdown with Darth Plagueis is like comparing a WWE match with Shakespeare-- you just can't. Two different types of literature.

Overall, I'd say this was a really good 2/3rds of a book. I do think the last third was maddeningly dumb and as a reader I felt let down.
    First chapter was awesome! I loved the writing style (the tone, mood, etc). I also loved the basic premise: Maul in a prison, to get a guy, and he can't use his force powers. I loved everything about the prison. That it was a gambling hub, it changed shape (how did it do that?) and the rooms could be moved around. I loved the Warden, and I really thought the brother who didn't talk would be a really cool charictor. I loved how we see Maul rise to the top of the prison food chain and take over all the gangs, like he would later do during the Clone Wars. I liked the EU nods (I always do). A Ventriss reference "the gladiator in RataTack (however you spell it), the ship Purge shows up from Deathtroopers, and the Bando Gora cult and their leader from the vedio game Bounty Hunter was cool to see. Some of the plot twists I did not see coming, which is rare and I like it! I would have bet money that the mute brother was Radique. Wampa scene was awesme! I loved that it too a part of Darth Plagueis and expanded it out. We now know that the nuke that went off at Sojourn, Plagueis's home. So, honestly, I liked it.

But it is easier to write about what you didn't like then what you did, isn't it?

I HATED that Maul broke down and used his force powers to, do what? Threaten a Muun. Why!?! Why do that? The entire book is predicated (by inference, narration, and the charictor';s own dialogue) that he is to not use the Force. But, then he does but only to do what a smile from Maul would have done too-- eaither way some muun is going to poop his britches. If your going to break the rules of the book (that you the auther established) then give Maul something big if he is to use the Force!

That is what I mean by the last 3/rd being a bummer. Sence when does Maul care about kids? How in the name of the 7 Corellian Hells does Vosa know who Maul is? He is a secrete assacen-- and was not given a name untill the events Ep 1. And why would Vosa want him to train her? She is allready a super powerfull dark Jedi. Mika pointed out, why would the weapons shop guy be making sabers anywayy?If you don't know the Force a saber isn't going to help you. Better stick on old blaster by your side, kid.

I liked the getting of the nuke. Which, as stated, flushes out the Darth Plagueis-- and the nuke was mentioned in the book Darth Plagueis. Why? Why go through all that trouble to get a nuke? It is a galaxy with faster than light travel-- they have to have something stronger than an H bomb. Moreover, every tech book I read shows that most SW ships run off of some time of nuclear power (I think fission). Maul, to me, could have just bought some stuff from watto and made his own bomb. I mean, pull a part off a freighter and light a match! But, the nuke was first mentioned in Darth Plagueis-- and in that book it was used by King Veruna with help from Black Son and the Bando Gora with Vosa as it's head. But, now we have proof from Lockdown that it was Sidious who planned the whole thing! Sppeeking of, I didn't like the sidouse and plagueis chapters. I don't think they were written well, or rather, they were not written in charictor. Plagueis never had a clue Sidious was planning on taking him out. He thought that with his knowledge of immortality, that the Rule of Two was over and that it would be an eternal Sith Empire with co-emperors. Well, he did untill he passed out drunk and woke up with a pillow over his face.

Didn't know Zabracks had 2 hearts though. That was cool.

My question to the gang is this:
    Do you think Darth Maul is a Sith? By Sith I mean a Sith Lord, like rule of two, like a master and an apprentice. Like Sidisus or Vader or Bane,etc?
    ?

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    No one?

Well, I think Maul is NOT A SITH. I think he is a acolyte, or an assassin (like Ventriss)-- but not a Sith Lord.

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I'm going with assassin like I said. But if he were a pre-Bane Rule of Two Sith he could get away with it. Everybody was giving themselves the title of Lord back then.

10. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    Going off just the movies, (never read the books, and I refuse to watch Clone Wars. I think it is a stupid show, it's destroyed lots of previous canon, and the Maul story line was one of the worse things to happen to SW, right up there with Jar-Jar,) I think he is more of a Sith Assassin. He was sent to kill and/or enforce Palpatine's plans.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Interesting.
    I would have assumed that if one just went by the films, that Maul would appear to be a Sith Lord. I agree with Vox, he is more of an assassin, even if he thinks he is a Sith.
    To me, the Bane line goes: Tenebrous and Plagueisis; Plagueisis and Sidious; Sidious and Tyranus; Sidious and Vader.

12. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Well I can say one thing for sure.

He talks a heck of lot more in prison than in all of his other appearances combined. But then he should being the main character. Credit goes to him saving himself (sucking water through the bolt hole in the floor, which I thought was really good thinking on the authors s part) when matched against the aquatic and the way he handled the wolf worm (man that would be an awesome scene in a movie) don't you think? I thought the graphics of the story were (for the most part) pretty good. I did think it was kinda of strange that the prison construction was never completed and if that was the case, then wouldn't that interfere with restructuring events when they happened (because of the in competed area)?? Plus add to that how would the wolf worm know were to go with the changes? That would be like solving an internal rubic cube (it would be different every time it changed. Just tossing some of the things that stuck in my head. But overall I enjoyed much more that another book I've red? (What was that line "All hail…." To answer your question on what he is I've viewed him as the assassin type (stealthily, deadly and fast).

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Huh. I would have thought my view on Maul would have been more controversial. Seems we all agree-- he may have "thought" he was a Sith Lord, but he was just an assassin-- another tool for old Palpy.

APPO you make some great observations. This book did showcase Maul well, and the water battle was very cool.
    And yet, as you point out and as I did and Mika did-- the book has no real internal logic. Didn't think about the uncompleted part of the prison but yeah? How would that work? And that worm seemed to show up everywhere all at once. And like I wrote before, how the heck did Vosa know Maul's name!?!?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Still, it was a fun book. I am enjoying the audiobook now. It was not as good as Death Troopers, but a lot better then Red Harvest.