Arena Federer Era - Still Not Over Yet

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Interesting stat just popped up on the twitter- the top 10 ATP rankings the last time Roger Federer was not in the Quarters at Wimbledon was:

1. Federer
    2. Roddick
    3. Coria
    4. Ferrero
    5. Moya
    6. Agassi (!!)
    7. Schuettler
    8. Nalbandian
    9. Henman (!!)
    10. Grosjean
  2. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Interesting thing about Lukas Kubot. His career high ranking is only 41 yet his slam results have been far better than that. This is his first quarter, he has also made 2 slam Round of 16(one at Wimbledon and one 1t Australia) and has made the 3rd round at the other two slams before. Definitely an odd amount of grand slam success for a player that has never been ranked above 41.
  3. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    two ridiculous forehands by Del Potro to wrap up the match! 5-5 in the tiebreak and Ferrer plays 2 great points but Delpo finished each with two rifle forehands.
  4. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Novak blasted 16 aces to Berdych's 6, with 9 coming in that big first set. That's huge. Del Potro will give him a really good fight- neither of them has dropped a set all tournament.
  5. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm definitely watching the Polish battle right now. If Verdasco can make it interesting in anyway I may flip over.
  6. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Verdasco takes the first set over Murray 6-4
  7. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I was just about to tag you to flip the channel. :p
  8. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Verdasco playing amazing. Murray pushed his heart out in that game but Verdasco delivered the goods.
  9. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Woah. Murray holds serve to start the third set, good sign. I hope he comes back, I want to see him play Djokovic.
  10. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Murray rolls through the third set, 6-1. Verdasco holds to start the 4th.
  11. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Great show of sportsmanship between Janowicz and Kubot. JJ overcome with emotion after the win. They said he wanted to go to Australia in 2012 to try and qualify but didn't have enough money for the plane ticket, now in the Wimbledon semis.
  12. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Augh, blasted Courtcast, I don't get to see stuff like that. Well he's certainly on the radar for the slams now!
  13. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Murray on shaky ground here. Not playing well at all.
  14. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Murray trying some gamesmanship now.
  15. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Murray breaks!

And we're all square at 2 sets. Surely Murray's got the momentum and wins this..
    Last edited by heels1785, Jul 3, 2013
  16. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    ah good ole Coria. He and Nadal played the best clay-court match ever in the 2005 Rome final (quality wise). Both guys hit their hearts out.
  17. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I was never aware that Rainer Schuettler made it as high as 5th in the world, or that he was this highly ranked in 2002. Was tracking the game much more closely back then, because I was still playing high school tennis, and Sampras was putting the wraps on his career.
  18. tom Chosen One

star 6
    this is a great match. kw, if you kind of squint you can pretend that murray is playing nadal.
    KnightWriter and Yoda_S like this.
  19. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
  20. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Can't see it live, but I can imagine that most of Western Europe can hear that crowd right about now.
  21. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    And Murray is still British.
  22. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't get that tweet

edit: oh wait I get it. I don't find Simmons comment funny in the slightest. He cares about potential basketball prospects who can barely dribble and can't give respect to some of the best tennis players in the world.
    Last edited by rechedelphar, Jul 3, 2013
  23. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Edit- Not much of a fan either, although he was good on NBA Draft night.
    Last edited by heels1785, Jul 3, 2013
  24. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Big win for Murray. You could tell he was on edge because he tried a variety of things to attempt to throw Verdasco off his game, some of which not tennis related. Verdasco is not good in the tight moments because he plays a high risk game. On some of the biggest points Murray literally did nothing but retrieve balls, not sure how big of a fan I am of that but it worked in the end.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Murray clearly struggled in the match, but a test like that is exactly what he needed to go through. Verdasco played very well, this tournament will no doubt help his ranking.

It seemed in the first set especially Murray struggled to cope with a left-handed server, he himself said it was the first time in 2013 he had to play a left-hander and he clearly didn't adjust properly at the start of the match.