main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hmm, well you were right. it's mostly a bummer because i think it could have been a really great match if they were both at full strength. nadal is of course pure class in all of his post-match comments.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    A rather odd conclusion to our discussion of legacies and the "best-ever" debate. Though, in a certain way somewhat fitting.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, I don't think it changed much. Federer is still aging, Nadal is still near his peak, and Wawrinka is unlikely to suddenly start piling up titles.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the best ever debate would have gotten a lot more interesting if nadal had won. he still has a lot of time though and will be the huge favorite in paris obviously. i hope he can be healthy for wimbledon this year.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Novak beat Rafa senseless yesterday at Key Biscayne. Rarely are their matches so one-sided.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  6. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Yeah, that was as straightforward a match between them as has ever been. I was surprised by it. I thought Rafa would have been able to fight through some of the challenges a bit more. Since the US Open, Novak has won 7 (?) straight sets against Rafa.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Serena got dropped in straights last night, second round, to a virtual unknown down here in Charleston at the Family Circie Cup. Yikes.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    He'd trade them all for that US Open title, though.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Two straight early exits on clay for Nadal now. I have no doubt he'll look great at the French if healthy, but that's always the most important clause when it comes to him. A bit concerning.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Very unusual. I wouldn't be surprised to see him wipe everyone out at Roland Garros, just to balance out what's been happening, but Nadal looks vulnerable for the first time in a long time. He seemed borderline invincible going into the Australian Open final, but he hasn't been the same since that back injury.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Somewhat abruptly, I think Nadal is officially on the downside of his career. Even Rafa can't be completely motivated forever, or have the energy he did in years past. If he wins Roland Garros again, it's going to be a dogfight all the way. Of course, it somehow wouldn't surprise me if he laid waste to the field, but I don't think that's going to happen.

He's got probably two or three titles left in him and then that's going to be it.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with you, but I probably would have given the same estimate a few years ago when Rafa was really struggling with the knees.

I think Novak will be at the top for a while, remains to be seen who steps up to join him. I don't have a ton of faith in Murray, even though I do like him.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't agree. i think nadal is pretty much where he's always been, last year's amazing run aside. he's still a big favorite at the french imo. only one person has ever beaten him there. let's see someone else do it before we count him out. and while he has spent a lot of time at number one, it's not like he's ever been a huge favorite at the other majors. he's always had competition at or near his level. this is nothing new.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think 2-3 more titles at Roland Garros is reasonable. He'd be 31 at that point, and while any tennis fan would hope he's still going strong, its tough to say with much confidence. Clay is easiest on the knees, he has that in his favor.

How lucky have we been, though. Going straight from Sampras/Agassi to Federer/Nadal/Djokovic. Quality of play we may not see for a long time.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't know, tom. There's something different about this. Through all of his previous troubles, I never questioned whether he'd be back, and strongly. He seems to be losing a step not physically, but mentally and/or emotionally.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Shocked that Stanislas the Manislas is done in the first round.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you've been watching his recent matches then? i've caught a few and i just don't see any evidence of this.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Li Na and Wozniacki gone, Lleyton Hewitt gone. All-American Name HOF'r Jack Sock defeats seeded Almagro due to injury.

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Nadal is the king of RG but this is Djoker's year.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I like a bold prediction as much as the next guy, but this is a very bold prediction.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Goodbye Serena, goodbye Venus. Anybody's game on the women's side.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's Cibulkova's time to shine!

tom likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I would like Ivanovic to win it again, but as usual she'll be lucky to make it out of the 4th round.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not if she plays like she did in Australia - if that's the case, there's nobody left in the field who can beat her. I'd say Sharapova should be the favorite, but I hope Ivanovic wins too.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Radwanska out, leaving Kvitova and Halep the top remaining seeds. Ivanovic could have to beat both of them--if she wins her 3d round match--to get past the quarters, with everyone expecting Halep to take the whole thing.