main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I still like Murray to win this, he played brilliantly against a game Dimitrov. Without Fed up next, he gets a straightforward match against Kyrgios to prepare for Nadal, or quite possibly the bird man. Djoker likely will have Raonic, who will bring a day full of tiebreaks, and then Stan - I think Murray has the easier road.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm enjoying the federer and nadal as underdogs era. it's frustrating in ways but in a way it's more fun to root for them. i guess i always feel a tinge of guilt when i'm rooting for a heavy favorite. the federer era is over, but it's not like he's suddenly a bad tennis player. he's a good pro still, he can win a tournament, maybe even make a run at a major. now the federer fans can taste a bit of what it's like to be a fan of someone like tsonga or ferrer or even monfils.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Venus Williams is playing as well as I've seen her in years. Really remarkable.

Can't wait for these men's quarterfinal matches -

Raonic's massive serve against Djokovic's world-class return game
    Stanlislas vs. Nishikori, battle of the two up-and-comers
    Can the Bird Man break through with his own massive serve against an ailing Nadal?

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Really liked Stan's fourth set tiebreaker

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good god-- Nadal was bageled in the second set of his straight sets loss to Thomas Berdych (6-2, 6-0, 7-6). It's a good thing Nadal made Berdych win 7-6 in the third, or else it would have been a complete embarrassment.

Rafa has his work cut out for him if he wants to get a tenth French Open title. If he's favored again going into Roland Garros, it will only be because of his unparalleled history there.

Edit: When Nadal's career is done, I'll be interested to see whether people wonder why Nadal didn't win more Australian Opens, or how he got a title there at all. He's not had the best time of it in Australia.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think at this point Nadal will ever have a shot at winning all four titles in a single year.

If I were Nadal I would only be worried at this point in my career about staying healthy for Roland Garros. He could beat Federer's majors record "merely" by dominating clay for another 4 years, and at the same time establish a record at a single slam that may never fall.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think this was a good result for Rafa, given where we all knew he was starting the tournament. I would have expected he and Roger to have flipped results for this tournament, with the quarterfinals being a reasonable expectation for a healthy Roger.

KnightWriter and tom like this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Wawrinka/Nishikori could be a great battle tonight. Hopefully Williams/Keys will be the same. Also, Martina Hingis soldiers on in the mixed doubles quarter final.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Maria just cut down Bouchard like it was nothing. She's going to be a tough out.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Young Madison Keys breaks Serena Williams in the first game of the match, and then holds.

Perfect start, go Madison go.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    And was subsequently dismissed.

Serena v Maria again, yawn.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, about that. Sorry for the jinx.

I really do like Madison Keys, though - she's got an incredible game.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    that service hold at 5-1 in the second set was a hoot

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Murray blasts away Bird Man, winning 3 straight sets after dropping the first via tiebreak. My women's pick may have gone out in the first round, but I'm confident in my Murray pick over Djoker or Stan.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Stan and Novak to a 5th!

Edit- Double break to the Djoker. All but a formality at this point, two excellent finals matchups.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Classic fifth set implosion.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Serena Williams captured her 19th title last night in what appeared to be a relatively good match with Maria Sharapova.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    the second set could have gone either way almost.

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Good old fashioned Murray choke in progress

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    worse and earlier than the Wawrinka implosion.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The thing I like most about Murray is that he plays with a smile on his face

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    from si.com about federer. what a classy guy:

One more for the Federer file: So Federer loses that match to Seppi and crosses the net to congratulate the opponent. He then vacates the court as soon as possible—in part because he is unhappy in defeat, but in part to surrender the stage so Seppi can take his victory lap and do his on-court interview. In his haste, he forgets to shake the hand of chair umpire James Keothavong. Federer realizes his omission and, despite having lost a brutal match, later seeks out Keothavong to apologize.

KnightWriter and heels1785 like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    *peeks in*

Looks like I could be the minority if this thread...but yeah, what the heck...BRAVO, NOLE! :) I overslept the game like a true patriot, but still, BRAVO.

KnightWriter likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not a major, but Federer defended his title at Dubai by blanking Novak in the final.

He also became the fourth player in the history of the game to hit 9K aces - Ivanisevic, Ivo Karlovic, and Andy Roddick are the other three.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Indian Wells. Djokovic looks like he's on target to win again. Federer just had a win over Djokovic, but I don't think it will matter here.