main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Maybe the Roland Garros crowd will actually like him for a change next year. They love Rafa at Wimbledon, and RG loves Federer, but it sure doesn't seem to care too much for Nadal.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Safarova beats Ivanovic in straight sets. Williams up next!

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ack.

Sorry about Ana, Jabba. She made a good run.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Thank you. I'll be ok eventually.

Meanwhile, Williams drops her opening set for the third time in the last four matches. Presumably this means she'll come back and steamroll Bacsinszky in the third set. Or maybe her luck will run out. Hope not.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Wawrinka all the way to the final. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see him win another major? I don't think it's going to happen for him this year.

The second most anticipated match of the tournament would have to be Djokovic-Murray, now playing.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jo just cannot finish the job. That's what his career will be known for. Great for Stan - if Murray somehow catches Novak napping today, I'd say Stan is the favorite. If Novak continues his form, it will be a brief affair.

tom and Jabbadabbado like this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    is Djokovic going to take the French without dropping a set? So far the Djoker doesn't look like he's having a harder time with Murray than he had against 87th ranked Nieminen in round 1.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I've never seen him this sharp on this surface.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    while I'm floating scenarios: 33 year-old-Williams and Djokovic both take calendar slams in the same year. Hopefully Serena feels better tomorrow.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh wow. That would be incredible. I mean, we're already living in an incredible time for tennis, but that would take the cake.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd love to see Serena go out as an unstoppable category 5 hurricane. Take the whole thing, set a slam record, then exit.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Murray did well to get back into the match but let all the good work go to waste in the 5th. O well

13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Serena walks through the first set. This one ain't going to 3.

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    She's holding up well. Can't imagine how she must be feeling. What a rock star.

15. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    serena with a 2 break lead in the second set and still manages to lose it. Crazy.

16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Serena on 20. Equalling Graf at the U.S. Open? Wouldn't bet against it.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

The greatest American tennis player of all time?

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I consider her the greatest women's player of all time, and did so before this championship.

Martina, Chrissy, and Steffi were great champions - Serena has transformed the game in a way I'm not sure we'll see again.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think i would argue that steffi really changed the game, and that the williams sisters came into their own at just the right time to fit into that mold that she established. to me saying that serena changed the game is a bit like saying kareem changed the game, even though he came right on the footsteps of wilt. i will happily concede serena is the greatest ever when and if she gets to 23 majors, until then i will stick with steffi, who dominated the game unlike anyone else in my lifetime, as evidenced by the fact that she won her 22 in a timespan 4 years shorter than it has taken serena to get to 20.

serena is a great player, just not greatest ever yet imo.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't really want to mention it, but it has to be said-- the specter of what happened to Monica Seles is a shadow over Graf's career. Seles was terrific, including against Graf outside of Wimbledon. Their career numbers against each other are asterisked by Seles' career after her stabbing, which was not nearly what it was before that.

Having said that, Graf was a tremendous player and I have no problem with her being considered the best. She pretty much is, really. But, Seles deserves some mention in the conversation, if only because she burned so brightly before being taken out completely against her will. There's no way of knowing what would have happened if Seles hadn't been stabbed-- perhaps her career would have ebbed anyway. Graf certainly beat her on many occasions, and it's not like Seles had power over her the way Nadal came to dominate Federer. But, Seles also did well against Graf, and better than almost anyone else in their overlapping careers.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Monica Seles was really something. Two real tragedies of that era - Seles' stabbing and Jennifer Capriati's downturn. Robbed us of a potential "big three" on the women's side that could have defined the era before Hingis and Davenport took hold.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And that's why a lot of Tennis players get up in arms whenever there is a lapse in security and fans get onto the court (maybe not necessarily the streakers since, well, you know), as they all have knowledge of what happened to Seles, even over 20 years after the fact.

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Wawrinka is on fire!

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    This match is fantastic.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  25. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Wow

EDIT: Wow X2