main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I was watching a bit of film of Connors-Rosewall from 1974, where Connors beat Rosewall in straight sets (in almost as easy fashion as McEnroe would someday do to Connors). In the part I was watching, Rosewall was already down a set and down 4-1 in the second. As he paused for a moment, someone in the crowd yelled out "Come on Ken, give it a go! What the hell." Drew quick laughter and applause from the crowd, and Rosewall did win the next point.

Made me think of the moment in 1988 when someone in the US Open crowd yelled out "he's a punk, you're a legend!" to Connors while he was playing Andre Agassi.

You can see it here, starting around the 2:25 mark:

Here's the Agassi-Connors match:

In an odd coincidence, starting around 2:21

I wonder if anyone yelled out for Agassi in 2005 when he played against Federer in the US Open final that year. He had Roger on the ropes for about ten seconds, or thereabouts, but that didn't last.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Made me think of the moment in 1988 when someone in the US Open crowd yelled out "he's a punk, you're a legend!" to Connors while he was playing Andre Agassi.

That's just...not nice. And fits with the things we mentioned last week somehow.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Watched the Davis Cup doubles game today between the Murrays and Tsonga/someone else from France. Jamie is brilliant at doubles. No wonder he got to the Wimbledon final this year. Totally outshone his brother.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Is it just me, or is Kyrgios a complete ****womble?

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rogers Cup, lead-in to US Open - Serena double faults SEVEN times in second set, now in deciding third set vs. 18yo Belinda Bencic (who knocked out Woz). Very interesting.

Women are in Toronto, men are in Montreal this year for Rogers Cup.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fed beat Murray today in Cincinatti. Possibility for a great final with Novak tomorrow.

On women's side, Serena and Halep looking to shake off disappointment of Rogers Cup in their semifinals.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I overslept the other semis...knowing mom and me, we'll probably fall asleep *during* the final or get a lot of food in order to prevent that from happening. Last week, I watched it until the end, with all of Andy's strange outbursts that sort of ruined how great he was in it.

Nole apparently has some stomach bug...let's see how that goes.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Well, those two losses in a row hurt. But Federer the other day was a much more honourable opponent than Murray last week.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    A lot of people are anticipating Serena will make it to the US Open final to attempt the Grand Slam, because the Women's final sold out well before the Men's did.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's great Serena is the top story of the U.S. Open. She's earned it. Who can really take her on? Kvitova beat her in 2015, but mostly Serena is in a pitched battle against the impending decline of her own body, which she seems to be winning for now. The thought that she might be able to carry this winning streak into 2016 is enough to make me more excited about the Australian Open than I've ever been.

But first things first.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Nadal out in an intense late night five setter. Incredible tennis from 32nd ranked Fabio Fognini.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Watching Rafa's first two matches, would not have dreamed he would go out so soon.

Hopefully a good offseason of rest will lead to some better results next year. I know his time is winding down, but I'd like to see him be competitive up until the end.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    If Nadal tried to preserve his body by focusing on clay he'd still have a shot at matching Federer's slam record solely on the back of Roland Garros wins, in my view. Focus all coaching/training efforts on keeping Nadal healthy and tuned up for May.

and yet it was a spectacular match last night

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The Serena train is not slowing down for Madison Keys.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Federer v Isner tonight in what promises not to be a very interesting match no matter who wins. I was sorry about Eugenie Bouchard's exit due to head injury. Best hopes for a speedy recovery.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh boy, oh boy. OH BOY!

Second set to Venus in a romp, 6-1. Third set, got the momentum. Let's go, Venus!!

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hats off to Venus for her effort today. I wish this had been the final.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I have a lot of respect for Serena, even though I constantly root against her - but I love watching Venus play when she's on her game, always have. Very proud of her effort today, and I hope this spurs her on to some tournament wins in 2016.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm hearing a lot of talk about Serena's de facto "coronation," mainly from talking heads who know very little about tennis.

Vika has lost all three of her matches to Serena in New York, but each match has either gone the distance or been very tight, and I think she is playing phenomenal tennis right now. Whether it's Vika or Halep, neither will be a cakewalk.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Either Azarenka or Halep will be the only woman under 32 years of age in the semis. Halep's the only one born in the 1990s.

Odd aside about the residency of tennis players. Kevin Anderson is listed as a South African player with residency in Del Rey Beach, Florida, but he actually lives in Glenview, Illinois, not far from me.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Serena Williams close to losing her match to the unseeded Roberta Vinci. Down a break, 5-3 in the third.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, it definitely looks like Serena may be outplaying herself in this match...

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And there it is: the unexpected all Italian women's final between two 30-somethings not ranked in the top 20.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Got to be considered one of the biggest upsets of all time.

Interesting to see Halep get destroyed so effortlessly, too. She really needs to take a few steps forward next year.