main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Halep has hit the Wozniacki Wall.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Novak just took Cilic to the cleaners. My boy looks about ready to capture another major.

Ewok Poet and dp4m like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    \○/

heels1785 and dp4m like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Woah, I did not expect Fed to wipe out Stan as easily as Novak did Cilic! Unbelievable tennis.

Looking forward to what may well be an epic final.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Fed is playing unbelievable tennis right now.

also, those shoes.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    would love to see a great 5 setter. Don't care who wins.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Good lord this second set. Djokovic and Federer both playing fantastic tennis.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Given his past several years of continued viability as a major title contender, Roger Federer has to get some points for longevity. He hasn't been otherworldly for something like six or seven years now, but has still been a force throughout that time. Not many players have been in contention for as long as he's been, a period of time that dates back to around 2001.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ewok Poet -

[​IMG]

Roger Federer played an incredible match, and deserves all of the respect in the world, as always. #10 for Djoker. All four major finals. Three major titles in one year. Here's to an even bigger 2016. ^:)^

Jabbadabbado and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    We just stopped screaming and pretty sure half of the neighbours are awake early....YEAH! That's our Nole. :) :) :)

Jabbadabbado and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Here's some inspiring news to end the season on - Venus Williams, who has been through just about everything possible these last few years - has now made it back up to #7 in the world!

Job well done. =D=

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Queen on her throne:

[​IMG]

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ack. On the day the Aussie Open starts.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    They really ought to give this story to Buzzfeed US or some such so it can actually be published without censorship. As a tennis fan, I'd really like to know if the players I root for have been complicit in this. It's an astounding allegation.

heels1785 and tom like this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not much of note on Day 1 in Melbourne, aside from Slone Stephens being ousted in the first round.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    ya it's too bad tennis can't get out from under these match fixing allegations. Maybe what ATP needs is a federal criminal investigation to focus its attention.

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I would guess that the big four on the men's side are clean. Likewise with most of the top women, if not all. I think it's the mid to lower level pros who would be most likely to have participated-- guaranteed money and apparently silence for a long time.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    surprising there would be much money in betting on lower level players.

20. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    What are your picks for the singles winners on both sides? I got Djokovic for the men's as the heavy favorite, he'll be looking to win his sixth title at Melbourne. I see his biggest challenges as Stan first since he's knocked him out 2 years ago, and Murray or Fed as second. As for the women's, Serena is the favorite.

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If this year is like last year, everyone comments in the first few rounds about how fit and determined Federer looks and how well he's playing. Then if all goes exceedingly well, he loses to Djokovic in the semis. Williams soldiers on, with a decent shot at the title. Ana Ivanovic loses in the first round. She's seeded, sort of, but still. Andy Murray looks glum. With luck, he loses to Djokovic in the finals, but could be taken out earlier.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, those are the favorites. as usual i will be rooting for rafa and my underdog favorite monfils on the men's side, and azarenka on the women's. think vika is primed for a return to form this year.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

• Winners of singles and doubles titles at Grand Slam tournaments are among the core group of 16 players who have repeatedly been reported for losing games when highly suspicious bets have been placed against them.
    Really?

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well yeah, do you have any idea how much money the big four make? a pretty absurd amount. they are also under a huge microscope and are fighting not only for their ranking, but for historical greatness. likewise someone like serena or sharapova is not hurting for money and under a lot of scrutiny. that doesn't mean the sentence you quoted isn't true. you'd still have players like cilic, del potro, or even stan when he was still struggling a bit, who could fit the bill. or on the women's side, pennetta, schiavone, bartoli, etc.

ChefCurryWindu and KnightWriter like this.
  25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    If it's any men's singles GS winners, it's one of the few who have won since Federer rose to prominence (and Nadal and then Djokovic/Murray), and it probably was when they were young.

Tom said what seems like the best reason-- they've all made way too much money for a long time now. Also, they're really intense competitors. Getting anything in six figures to lose makes no sense and would have cast a shadow on them for the rest of their lives, even if only to themselves for a time.