main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ferrer is gone, too. Grass was never his surface, but he really seems to have dropped off over the last two years. Used to be a lock for the quarters of nearly every major, it seemed like - without ever breaking through.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Novak in real big trouble against Sam Querrey. After tight first set loss, just got 1-6'ed. Need a comeback here. Probably tomorrow morning, though, weather ended play.

Stanislas the Manislas, 4 seed, done-zo. Courtesy of Del Potro.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    good to see del potro back!

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm rooting for the American Querrey, as I've watched him at American tournaments since forever, but he's mentally weak. If Novak turns it on, Querrey will probably fold.

5. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Did the Djokovic match resume yet? And Federers era has long past. He is still good and competitive but his era of dominance has been over for years. Tennis competitive levels are so down the past few decades that it hard not to stay in the game and be just good not great. I am a huge Federer fan though.

6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    It has resumed twice, and is right now delayed again.

It's 6-5 in the 4th set, Querrey. Novak serving to stay alive when it resumes.

Wow. Querrey has been great, clutch serving, saving I don't know how many break points.

Novak actually finally got the break to go up 5-4 in the 4th, and was serving for the set, but got broken right back!

I think Novak got cocky there. He was smiling and lost intensity, thinking he had it in the bag. A couple calls went against him (replay showed that if he had challenged he would have won, but he was out of challenges), and Querrey broke back.

The 4th set has been amazing. If you have a chance to catch it on replay, do so.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The rain delays have been really annoying

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Tough loss for Djokovic. But that fourth set was a blast despite rain delays.

9. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Wow he lost, that's nuts. Federer might sneak in another finals appearance

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Competitive levels are "so down" over the past few decades? What do you mean by that? Tennis has rarely seen greatness of the kind we've had over the past fifteen years.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Even as a fan of Andy Roddick, and acknowledging his several good runs on the grass, I'd say Querrey's win over Novak - at this stage in Novak's career - is the most significant singles win at Wimbledon by an American male since Sampras' last title, 16 years ago.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Mentally weak? Guess he showed me.

Best win of his career, no doubt. Hope this gives him confidence going forward.

He had a bit of a reputation for falling apart in clutch situations, even on his serve. No such thing today, was smoking aces to save break points throughout that 4th set.

Djokovic wasn't quite himself. Wasn't really there at all during the second set. Novak is probably the best in the world at punishing weak second serves, but he wasn't doing much with Querrey's weak second serves in the fourth set.

I kept screaming for Querrey to be more aggressive on his second serve, especially when he was at deuce or had the advantage, but the way he played it worked out in the end.

13. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    I believe that a matter of opinion. And my opinion, based what I watch, is that the men's game has taken a dip the past 15 years. It basically has been just Federer, Nadal for a couple years and now Djokovic. As a whole there might be better players but only one real real great. So yes I believe it has watered down with mediocrity.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I refer you to PRENNTACULAR.

heels1785 and Rylo Ken like this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Djokovic hasn't been out in the third round of a slam since 2009.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hoping he won't go out of another until 2019.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody's made a gif of Venus' reaction when a rain delay happened during match point. It was the perfect 'You've got to be kidding me!' face.

19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    "the past 15 years"

So, starting around 2000?

You mean when Gustavo Kuerten was #1? And old Sampras was #3, and old Agassi was #6?

That was one of the lowest points since I've been watching tennis. It allowed Lleyton Hewitt to skyrocket to #1...only to drop off once the next generation of players like Federer and Roddick matured.

The period starting around 2007, when Federer, Nadal, Novak and Murray were at the top, was insanely strong. The strongest I've ever seen. So strong it pushed former #1 Hewitt out of the top 20.

Over the past couple years you can add Wawrinka to that list.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I guess if you're a family member of Marat Safin, it was better 15 years ago. Other than that, there's no possible justification.

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Isner having another paradigmatic Isner match against Tsonga.

Also straight set win for Vandeweghe. Go USA

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    uh oh: Isner broken in the 35th game of the fifth set.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well done, Jo Willie! Signature win. All French battle with Gasquet, then likely Murray in quarters.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    big day for American tennis. One already out, one down against Federer, and two up a set. Then Serena.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, we're watching the Federer match and waiting for Serena and Andy Murray. With Djokovic out Murray actually has a chance if he can get through to the finals.

As far as the rain goes, I'd like to know what fool had the roof on Center Court open over the weekend when the showers were forecast (and we could see them on the weather radar). I could do that job better with just an internet connection..

Juliet316 and CT-867-5309 like this.