main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    monfils struggled with his consistency in this match, like he often does. some great tennis in spurts though. so happy to see rafa make it this far.

i said this at the time, but there's no guarantee that rafa would have won that final if he was healthy. it's a pity that we didn't get to see both players at full strength and it was amazing that nadal was even able to get a set in his condition, but stan was playing incredible tennis in that tournament. he beat novak in peak form in the quarters and was the only guy to beat him there in that amazing 6 year run with 5 titles. plus he's since validated that he is for real by adding two more slams to his resume. also think he's a guy to look out for in this tournament. he always seems to find his top form in the second week. i like to think that rafa would have won too, but it's really unfair to stan to just assume that would have been the case.

but we all know rafa is my guy. worried about this matchup with milos though.

yeah exactly. neither novak or andy played bad, they just weren't ready to be their absolute best at this point in the tournament. zverev and istomin just hit every shot and amazingly never folded in the pressure moments of the match.

KnightWriter likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    On the men's side, half the guys in the quarter finals are over 30 years old. The youngest is almost 26.

On the women's side, 3 of the quarter-finalists were born in 1982 or earlier.

Muguruza and Pliskova are the only players of either gender under the age of 25.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the lucic-baroni story is pretty compelling. would be amazing to see her reach a major semifinal 18 years after the last time.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Tennis is becoming like the Democratic party.

Point Given , tom and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wonder if we'll ever see a teen break through and win a slam again.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I doubt it. The years of endurance training the older players have will always tell, now that long rallies are such a huge part of the game.

Compare this to the 1989 French Open.
    Chang won the men's at 17. The women's semis were Seles (15) Graf (19) Sanchez-Vicario (17) and Fernandez (17).

tom likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    seems like it's going to be common moving forward for people to peak mentally and physically at about 26 or 27. The height of tennis players has probably maxed out on the men and women's side. Lots of 6'1 women and 6'5 men, so the emphasis has moved to peak strength and conditioning.

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    There's also this, shameless stolen from elsewhere.
    [​IMG]

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I would be most interested to see one more Federer-Nadal final, in large part to see whether age and injuries have acted as an equalizer for them, particularly on Nadal.

It's more than a bit disconcerting that this July will mark nine years since their scintillating match for the ages at Wimbledon, and a decade since their first five set final there.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    and venus just made it to her first aussie open semi in 14 years.

KnightWriter likes this.
  11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Venus and Lucic are great stories on the women's side.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    coco vandeweghe is just crushing the ball. venus was helped by a pretty lucky draw in getting this far but she's going to have her hands full if this result holds.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Dominant stuff from the Manislas, Tsonga was just overwhelmed after that first set.

Go Fed go.

14. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So the first Men's semi has been decided; unsurprisingly it will be an all Swiss affair!

M Zverev got schooled by Federer.
    Keen for the Milos v Rafa match tomorrow!

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Wasn't really a quarter finals of extremely exciting matches, but some dominant performances. Aside from Murray and Djokovic not being in the mix it's an exciting lineup of 3/4 oldies

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Two very dominant performances last night. Goffin was much too predictable, though - every single second serve went to the exact same spot, and Grigor just ate them up.

Of the four remaining players, I'd give Stan a 40% chance to win it all, Rafa 25%, Roger 20%, and Grigor 15%.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That seems more or less right to me. Since 2013 Stanimal is 3 for 7 winning a major title once he reaches the semis.

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    a Fed Nadal final would be ace (bad pun intended)

yankee8255 likes this.
  19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If we get a Federer/Nadal and Serena/Venus final my head will explode.

KnightWriter, tom and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    welcome to 2005

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    2008 wimbledon, the only time those two matchups have happened in the finals of a major. 6 years since rafa and roger have met in a major final, 8 since their only finals showdown in melbourne that brought fed to tears. will we ever see them get this close again? it would be a shame if it doesn't happen.

i pretty much agree with heels' percentages, stan is looking very good, but i don't think his record against roger can be ignored. he's only ever beaten fed three times in 21 attempts and all of those were on clay. should be a great match, we'll see if i can stay up.

i only made it through the first set last night. looked like all the key moments happened at the end of the second. really could have turned the match if milos converted one of those set points.

KnightWriter and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    how bout the Bryan brothers. Haven't won since 2014. Haven't won at the Australian since 2013. The Bryan Brothers era is almost over, but maybe not quite yet.

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Plz give us one more Federer-Nadal final. Just looking at the names, they both carry tremendous weight and history. It's hard to believe that enough time has passed that it would unquestionably be nostalgic, rather than centered in the present.

Point Given , tom and Rylo Ken like this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    regardless, the moment is almost finally inevitably upon us: some guy born in the 90s is going to win a major. Maybe not this weekend, but soon.

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah it would remind me a lot of the 2002 US Open final and the excitement around that.

KnightWriter and tom like this.