main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wawrinka knows how to beat Berdych too, I think they played at last year's US Open.

Sad to see Ana go out right after ousting Serena. She looked good, just fell apart at the end.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Wawrinka!

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Stanislas the Manislas!

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Vika getting torched so far.

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rafa down early break here.

With the way Fed shredded Jo last round, I am eager to see the Murray match.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The wheels are coming off for Dimitrov right now. He has looked alternately terrific and downright awful at times while I've been watching this match. I get the feeling that Nadal's long experience will see him through this match. Dimitrov is a force, though.

Edit: Dimitrov came right back and now needs 5-4 in the third set.

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The streaming connection cut out just as Dimitrov was serving for the third set. It didn't return, so I missed Nadal's coming back to win.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I can't get to work fast enough to get CourtCast on. Fed leads two sets to one, playing brilliantly.

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Federer wins in 4 sets.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think he's going to give Rafa everything he can handle.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I agree. I think this is it for Federer, and I bet he pulls out a win. Nadal hasn't looked great and is playing through a bad blister on his hand. If this were clay, it would still be Federer walking into defeat, but not in Melbourne.

There will be 30 grand slam titles on the court when they meet, which is an exceptionally high number, particularly for men.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm inclined to agree, I'd give Federer a slight edge. If this is it for Roger, it'd be pretty awesome if he got to play his pal and old Davis Cup teammate Stan the man in the final.

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    When players get older, they need some breaks to go all the way. Federer's breaks here are that Djokovic is out and that Nadal is weakened from a blister, along with just not playing his best.

The intangibles will be pretty great. Players of their caliber in tennis history rarely meet at a high level at this point in their careers. If Nadal wins the title, he would match Australian Rod Laver's feat of winning every Grand Slam title at least twice. If Federer wins it all, it would be his 18th (matching him, incidentally, with Jack Nicklaus).

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Indeed. Perfect example was Sampras at '02 US Open, the most memorable tournament of my young adulthood. Safin got knocked out early, Roddick played poorly. Agassi had a grueling semi against Hewitt, Pete cruised through Schalken in straights.

Agassi starts poorly in final, Pete gets one last great serving performance, and the title as a 17 seed.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    really excited for the match. i give a slight edge to nadal, but only if the blister isn't a big factor.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd really like to see Bouchard beat Li Na and then face Radwanska in the final. That would be a great match, I think Bouchard is going to be a big-time star.

Berdych-Wawrinka is going to likely leak into the early work hours tomorrow, US EST- I have high hopes for that match too.

17. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I give Fed the edge…I think he's on a mission.

I agree about Bouchard, it would be fun to see her become something great.

18. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Bouchard just got schooled by one of the best. I'm still proud of her though. This will go a long way for her. The experience alone will make her better.

Rebel_Padawan likes this.
  19. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Cibulkova takes the first set 6-1

Radwanska looks kind of deflated. Probably physically exhausted from her match yesterday?

20. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    For sure. This is a straight sets win. Cibulkova is looking really good here.

21. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    The pocket rocket prevails!

It will be a flashy final on Saturday no doubt but I would put money on Li Na if I was a betting man.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Though I'm a big Cibulkova fan I feel bad for Radwanska, the scheduling definitely played a role as she looked very out of sorts. Should be a great match between her and Li Na.

23. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    The nature of the schedule is such that at some stage one half of the draw needs to play 2 days in a row instead of every second day...

On one hand they are professional athletes so they should be able to handle it.
    But on the other hand does it have to be the quarters and semis, where the back-to-back occurs?

At Wimbledon they don't play on the middle Sunday, correct? So playing back-to-backs there is in middle of the tournament.
    Not sure about the other grand slams

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Stan the man is through to the final.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Considering they are 1 and 3 on the all time list, I don't think any other match would be even close.

The 1986 women's French final had Evert (17) and Navratilova (13) for a total of 30 as well...if they played in any matches later in their career that would be the highest surely. When Graf and Court hit their massive numbers they didn't have anyone else around with 10+ victories.