main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Federer is still the second-best clay court player right now. Who knows how many French Open titles he would have if not for Nadal. I think that privately, one of Federer's favorite career victories was his win over Djokovic in 2011. That final is the only time Federer seemed to have Nadal on the ropes for real (at Roland Garros), and then that shot was out by inches and Nadal crushed all hopes for him after that.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Nadal lost his opening first round set against 59th ranked Daniel Brands of Deutschland.

3. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    As I recall, he had a five set win in an early round of the French Open in 2011, and in checking on wikipedia, that's what happened.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    kind of ridiculous that berdych would draw monfils in the first round, but what a match.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    great win for monfils. beating the 5th seed in round 1 means that the draw should open up for him a bit until the quarters. i look for him to make a deep run on his home turf.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    great match!

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Federer no doubt doesn't mind seeing Berdych take a hike, though I don't know if they're in the same part of the draw.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    My wife Dominika Cibulkova lost :(

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Nadal is having a rough time once more, at 6-6 in the first set, 4-4 in the tiebreak as I write this.

Edit: Nadal takes the first set, but even the tiebreak was close, at 7-5. It's a long way from any of the times Nadal took Roland Garros without losing a set.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I've only seen the sets Nadal has lost so far.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Damn, heck of a match by Isner and Haas. Wish Isner would've won, though.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Isner gets mocked a bit for having a style of play that forces him into so many endless matches, but I definitely would have liked to see him beat Haas.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i admire isner's perseverance, but i'm not a fan of his game at all.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    hell of a match that Federer just won. goodness.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And Tsonga K.O.'s Fed without breaking a sweat. It's great there are three people still in this thing I'd like to see win it: Djokovic, Ferrer, or Tsonga.

A Ferrer-Djokovic final or a Tsonga-Djokovic final. Any one of those would make me extremely happy.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'd love to see tsonga win a major, but i never would have thought he'd have a chance on clay. even though it's his home slam it's always been his worst surface.

17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I really like both Tsonga and Ferrer, but I guess I'm pulling for Tsonga since it's in his country, though I certainly won't be upset if Ferrer pulls it out.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    We have four guys in the semi finals who all rolled over their quarter finals competition in straight sets. I'm looking forward to great matches. Only Djokovic really seemed to get a challenge in the quarters, from Haas in the second and third sets.

Matchups:

Ferrer has not beaten Nadal on clay since 2004.
    Djokovic has beaten Nadal only three times on clay, but most recently this year in Monte-Carlo.
    Tsonga and Nadal have only had two matchups on clay, and Nadal has won both.
    David Ferrer won his only clay match aganist Tsonga in Rome, 2010.
    Ferrer has won three out of four clay matches against Djokovic, but lost the most recent matchup in Madrid, 2011.
    Djokovic is 2 for 2 in clay matchups with Tsonga, beating him at Roland Garros and in Rome, 2012.

On paper, Djokovic is the only man who has a realistic shot at Nadal, but if he beats Nadal in the semis, he has decent chance of losing to Ferrer, should Ferrer win.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I guess it isn't on TV, but from watching the courtcast, Nadal looks about ready to put Nole away after thrashing him 6-1 in the 3rd. Fourth set tied.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's on the tennis channel. going to the 5th set now, and i have to go to work. :(

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    From the sound of it, that was a set for the ages. Djokovic and Rafa each mounting a comeback at some point.

This is exactly how I had to watch the Australian Open Final in 2012 too, but won't ever forget it. Pulling for the Djoker.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    watching it at work now. you can watch it online here heels.

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Tom send me the link!

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Wow, great shot by Rafa there.