main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Arena Federer/Nadal Era - Still Not Over Yet

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    went back and watched the match after learning the result - that was easily one of the best finals on the women's side that i've seen in 10 years, maybe longer.

outstanding tennis. expect the same tomorrow with a friendly surface for cilic. great start to 2018!

2. Point Given

Point Given Mod of Literature and Community star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  3. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Federer 20 grand slams
    8x Wimbledon champion
    6x Aussie open champion
    5x Us open champion
    1x French open champion
    96 career titles (2nd most in open era)
    82% career winning percentage

Undisputed goat

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 19, 2015
    fantastic Australian Open women's and men's finals this year. They went the distance. Poor Simona hospitalized from the effort. The men's final maybe wasn't quite as high quality from start to finish, but very nearly.

KnightWriter likes this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    roger federer has won 10% of the grand slam tournaments in the Open era.

unbelievable

bizzbizz and epic like this.
  7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Everything hinges on that fifth set last year. If Nadal closes it out, I think he could well be regarded as the best ever to play (three Slams at his age, and another conquest over Federer). Instead, Federer seized the moment, and history with it. He's the greatest ever now.

It will be fascinating to see what happens at Roland Garros this year.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    @KnightWriter

If Nadal is healthy, he wins there. Period.

@heels1785

Or think it this way. Since 2003, Nadal and Federer have won 36 majors out of 61 played. Therefore over the 15 plus years, either Roger or Rafael have hoisted the trophy at the end of a Grand Slam Event. Now is that due to them being the two best players perhaps ever or is the competition overall that crummy? Perhaps a bit of both??

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    @Luke02

I bow to no one in my appreciation of Rafa. If you remember, there was concern about Federer's leg going into the final last year. He overcame that, and Nadal, to win the title. It was an historically great and iconic moment, down a break to his biggest rival, his conquerer many times over in years past. Federer blew past that stop sign and into undisputed greatness. There are no more peaks to scale, except for ones of his own making. Rafael Nadal is almost certainly the second-greatest men's tennis player ever, and that is a remarkable accomplishment in itself. Let's just remember who the best of all is. There's no doubt anymore.

They've succeeded as much as they have because they're both extraordinarily athletes, motivated by things that have zero to do with money. Jimmy Connors said it best-- Rafa plays like he's broke, and Federer has zillions of dollars from endorsements before taking into account his tour winnings. Djokovic has been a formidable rival for both of them, and I think he pushed them into places that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise gone. There have been some great players over the past fifteen years that would have won multiple Slam titles if not for Roger and Rafa. It's not the competition-- it's the champions we've had.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    bizzbizz and heels1785 like this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    You definitely have a Federer era from 2004-2009 and a Djokovic era from 2011-2016, giving way to a Djokovic/Murrray/Wawrinka mixed era and a Federer renaissance in 2017-2018, but the thing about Nadal is that his own era cuts across all that from 2005-2017, with him only really going away in 2015-2016. Nadal is the spoiler of everyone else's era with his epic dominance of clay and his occasional successes on all other surfaces and his unique mastery of Federer at Federer's own peak performance.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i grew up as an enormous pete sampras fan, i idolized him. even though i've never been a "rafa-first" (or even fed-first) fan as i migrated from pete to roddick to nole, there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that of course all-time roger is one, and rafa is two. i don't think we'll see that change for a very long time.

i would have said the same thing as a 15 year old punk in 2000 about goat sampras and #2 agassi, though. :p

so who knows. just grateful to have lived to see all of this class, in so many sports, over these years. especially so in tennis.

12. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    think fed is taking the clay court season off again he has something planned with his charity in africa jim courier was talking about it on the australian telecast last night. also apologies who ever had to put up with basil zempilas doing the trophy presentation

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I think Roger also doesn't really see the point in going up against Rafa at Roland Garros at this point in their careers. He's won a French Open and doesn't stand to gain much while tiring himself out for Wimbledon. Nadal is less than a year removed from his most dominant run ever in Paris. I think Federer understandably says, "why bother?" and moves on.

Also, @Rylo Ken: I think Rafa has had more than "occasional successes" on surfaces other than clay. He's won six GS titles away from clay (and was an eyelash away from winning either one or two more in 2012 and 2017).

Rylo Ken and bizzbizz like this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes I should have written it "regular successes."

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    no reason for fed to risk injury on the clay that would jeopardize wimbledon. i would almost say the same is true for rafa staying off of the grass to set up for hard court season and New York.

although personally I hope novak, murray, stan, and many others factor into the title picture this year too.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It would be nice to see them all healthy at the same time, but realistically not all of them are going to be playing at a high level to 36. Personally, I think Nadal has been too hard on his body for that, and likely Djokovic too.

Nadal turns 32 at Roland Garros. Djokovic and Murray turn 31 right before it. Wawrinka will be 33. Federer will be 37 at the U.S. Open.

Am I missing someone, or are Cilic and del Potro the only other active slam winners who will play this season while still in their 20s?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2005
    Sorry but Agassi isn't even Top 10. Great talent who turned it on far too rarely. Your 15 year old punk self was an idiot.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hard to believe delPo is still in his 20s. So young when he won that US Open.

That was the point, mate.

KnightWriter and yankee8255 like this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 7

Mar 14, 2004
    to me the federer/nadal debate is the exact same debate it always has been. that is that federer is well ahead but nadal could potentially catch him or at least make the debate more interesting. when nadal won his first french open in 2005 federer had already won four majors. and here we are in 2018 heading into the french open with nadal incredibly still four majors behind. yes, nadal actually catching fed seems more unlikely as more time passes and his body takes more wear and tear, but one thing that is true about both of these guys is that they are full of surprises and you can never count them out. who knows how long they will continue? all i know is that i don't think we can really have the debate until they both finally hang it up.

yankee8255 likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Force Ghost star 7

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm not a tennis person (as you will soon be able to tell) but I have read the last page or two with interest, so I pulled the stats, because I do like a stat.

Nadal Federer
    Age 31 36
    Pro for 17th year 20th year
    Slams 16 20
    Titles 75 96
    Aus 1 6
    French 10 1
    Wimb 2 8
    US 3 5

Obviously Nadal is the undisputed clay champion, and one could argue that pads his stats somewhat and that Federer is the better all rounder (except in france) and therefore the best, given he has more slams and titles - although given time favours Nadal, it's possible he ends up more in both (although unlikely in total number of titles).

So to my un-expert eye, I'd have to say the greatest player ever is Serena Williams.

Edit: I did try and format that a little, I promise.

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Martina Navratilova by a mile. 59 grand slam singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles, the most singles and/or doubles titles overall of any open era player.

Serena's at 38. The Williams sisters as a doubles team are still 6 back from Navratilova/Shriver.

22. Diggy

Diggy Force Ghost star 7

Feb 27, 2013
    She isn't even the top Martina on google predictive text!

Rylo Ken and yankee8255 like this.
  23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The Slam distribution definitely leans heavily towards Fed. But the the head-to-head record, at least back when they were both in their primes, go exactly in the opposite direction.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Navratilova had the biggest impact of any woman on the sport, but I'd put Williams and Graf ahead of her in terms of "greatness".

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's a close call. No grand slam singles champions in the last 15 years have excelled at doubles more than the Williams sisters. Most singles champions in the last 20 years haven't bothered with doubles at all, so there's no doubt Serena is one of the all time all round greats.