main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Feel like venting??? Come on in!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Rhiannon, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEICIDE

DEICIDE Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Welcome to the corporate world of hell!
    I too used to work for those ba$%^#%& too
    I used to constantly get into arguments with stupid and moronic customers who loved to say let me talk to your manager. In the end when I saw my management had no spine I got out. I now do corporate shows all the time and laugh because I am not in it anymore hee hee heee. It got so bad I used to keep a bullet in my pocket and would hold it in my hand when they would start up with me. I actually drew a map of my building with the kill zones marked and the area of resistance. My last day I left the drawing in my desk along with a letter telling them how F#$%&*%G stupid they all were. So now I am so much happier I love my job and I don?t get angry anymore because in most cases the majority of the public is stupid and wrong most of the time. :) Remember to eat snackey cakes.

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Heh. [face_plain] How well I can relate. I worked retail for 3 years at Franklin Covey.

First year was on the phones for catalog sales. I had one lady ring through on my line one day, who didn't even wait for my standard greeting to finish before ripping into ME for not getting her order right. I'd never talked to her before! Apparently she had wanted a certain style of Address/Phone pages, and failed to request them when she ordered. So she was throwing a ranting lunatic fit because somehow this was MY fault. Finally, when I couldn't speak from rage, I sent her the pages for free and hung up. I then proceeded to write all kinds of nasty comments in her account record.

The next two years were here in the Mesa store (by Fiesta Mall). Classic "rejected credit card" story. Same situation, some guy was trying to buy a Palm Pilot with his corporate card. I get the message "Please Call." So I did, and the lady at the other end tells me "You need to keep his card." Now, this was one of those customers where you just knew that he wasn't the kind to upset. I felt my face go completely white, and I was shaking when I told him that his card was rejected, and that I needed to keep it. True to what I'd "read" from him, he flipped out. To this day, I remember the vein pulsing on his forehead. After having a screaming fit that wasn't directed AT me, but was delivered to me nonetheless, he finally said "Well, if you have to keep it, then cut it up!!" I've never grabbed a pair of scissors so fast in my life. Two minutes later he was gone, and it was everything I could do not to break down crying in front of the new girl that I was training.

During that same two years there were several other customers that just plain out got smart@$$ with me, and I had to step on them (so to speak) in order to get anywhere. It's almost a power-trip nowadays to crush the ego of a guy that's at least a foot taller than me who's ranting and raving about stuff he knows NOTHING of. But it was scary the first few times...

I weep for those who work retail/customer service jobs. I completely and utterly understand.

Get out ASAP.

3. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    ronin, dude, i used to be on the other side of your story. i was the credit card guy that got screamed at. ah, memories...

the first dozen times it happened, it got to me, shook me up a bit, made me pissed myself. but after a while, i figured out that explaining that this was for their own protection, and if we didn't have them call us to verify it was them then who knows WHAT kind of trouble could happen that we wouldn't be allowed to prevent and isn't it nice that we care about our customers SO MUCH to protect THEIR credit while using OUR card, hmmm?

guilt. it's not just for moms. :D

i also realized something that stays with me to this day:

the customers can scream, curse, threaten to have me fired, and otherwise throw an adult temper tantrum, but bottom line? they're still not gonna get their way. they can't touch me. and if they reeeeally just thought about it, they'd realize...

...i could easily find THEM. [face_devil]

the real fun was when i was trained to access credit histories. nothing like invading people's privacy to make a man happy in his work.

4. Master_R0nin

Master_R0nin Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    Get out ASAP.

I'm trying oh so very hard.

5. TheVTech

TheVTech Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    Well I'm not rich, or in this for the fun of it, but I think my girlfriend is and must think I am...on top of it all it's "Asking a lot to be picked up from work" after I do the following for HER without any expectations...

Pay Car insurance..Pay electric when needed..Pay House phone..Pay cell phone..Take her to D-backs games..Take her out to dinner..Buy or rent a movie that I know she will like..Do whatever I can to be there for her..pay for hair coloring and styling..gave her a key to the appartment and gate code..

After just this stuff (there is much more) it's "Asking A LOT" to be picked up at 8am from work.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    *sob*

Day five of "We need this right away, so even though we know it is physically impossible, could you please find everything on these 7 million pages by Thursday? Thanks. Oh, and by the way, about half of the accounts on the list were either closed or not open yet on the dates we are requesting information for, so there is nothing for you to find no matter how hard you try."

Meanwhile, the regular work that I'm probably going to get yelled at later for not doing is piling up in the inbox and I'm afraid to check my voicemail.

Can I retire yet?

7. wardenx

wardenx Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    VTech: Dude, I know you know this, but relationships are a two way street. Sounds like this girl needs to wake-up and learn to appreciate what she's got or you need to kick her to the curb.

8. TheVTech

TheVTech Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    wardenx

Totally know that, and the curb is fast approaching should things continue along this dark path.

9. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    i've missed all my opportunities to make my life better, usually because i'm too nice (despite what some people say) and i don't want to make waves or hurt anyone's feelings.

like i won't tell this guy i'm in love with him because he's in a relationship, even though i liked him way before that. but he's *always* in a relationship, and the only chance i ever had to possibly tell him how i feel, he was just getting into *another* relationship. and here i was trying to give him some time. stupid me. sigh.

it's my own fault for not being pushy and sneaky to get what i want, i guess. i could easily have just pounced on him at the first opportunity, but i don't operate like that.

then to make matters worse, i'm always certain that no one would ever consider me like that anyway.

grr, i hate that i have to be so evil and conniving to get anything at all. and that if i don't look good doing it, there's no point in doing anything. it all makes me want to cry. :(

10. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I can't understand professors who don't answer email, even if it's an online class. Also I don't appreciate the same professors who will not respond to an email which consists of a request to get an extension on a paper because of a death in the family. And there's two people working on the paper and can't work on it because the death in the family takes half of the team out of state for the funeral.

Also, endings are always painful, even when the new thing right around the corner is wonderful.

11. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    jupiter, been there done that. in fact still doing that. its just so hard to let go of the feelings you have. and it really doesn't help when people say "You'll find someone, you just have to be patient". yeah, right, patient!

i'm becoming less and less fond of my job as well. i work in a movie theater in the concession stand. most, i'd say only about two actually have, of the management staff have never worked in the stand at all!! so now i'm being told that i don't actually need a person, but still have to make sure all the cleaning duties are done on time!!!! @!#@^%&@$#%@$#^%$@ customers aren't fun either. hey, just because you don't have enough money to buy exactly what you want, doesn't give you the right to take it out on me. i'm seriously thinking of getting a new job to help me through college. i just wish i could take my coworkers with me, because they are great people.

hmmm, maybe i could just dispose of the management staff, and everything would be fine, jk.

12. Master_R0nin

Oct 18, 2002
    i just wish i could take my coworkers with me, because they are great people.

Funny you should mention that. Best Buy has this wonderful 70-30 plan, where whatever money is left over from the budget for the year, 70% goes to the employees, and 30% goes back into the company. At our store, our payout is about 450 bucks, which is amazing since the last 2 years have been like 50 bucks. I know a few people that have full intentions of quitting right after the payout, and leaving that horrific company behind. I would be one of them, assuming my interview on Monday goes well.

13. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    thats a really cool plan. but from what budget? like advertising, Prop stuff or just general?

14. Master_R0nin

Oct 18, 2002
    Basically each store is given a sort of buffer of money that can be "lost" during the year (due to product theft, miscounts of product, etc.). The 70-30 plan and employee discount are the two things that keep like half the employees working there.

15. wardenx

Apr 23, 2003
    JUPITER: Hey, we don't know each other but I just want you to know that, when it comes to being happy, I think that you have to be honest and like it that way. In my opinion, whether or not he's in a relationship, take him aside sometime and tell him how you feel and how you've felt all along. It's the truth and it'll give him something to thinnk about the next time he's not in a relationship. I don't advocate trying to intervene in his current relationship because that would be dishonorable, but the truth will set you free (or so they say).

Also, if he's got another girl waiting in the wings right after he's out of one relationship, then it sounds to me like he's probably a player or something. Or he really doesn't know what he wants or is afraid to be alone and will jump into whatever comes his way. If that's the case, then you don't need someone like that.

BTW, I saw your picture in your bio. You are a beautiful woman and you don't have to wait on anyone to be happy. But I'd say to you, "Be obvious when you tell him." Speaking as a guy, I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to women hitting on me. Maybe it's because, like most people, I don't think they'd be looking at me like that (for whatever issues I might have about it LOL). So I just say, be obvious and honest. Once you've had your say, you'll feel much better.

Just be prepared for what you may get and don't expect anything. Just have you say and free yourself of the burden of wondering.

Just friendly advice. Don't mean to pry. ;)

16. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    jupiter, you need to kick that guy to the curb. you're a cutey with a fun personality, and if he can't see that than it's his loss. besides, there's lots other guys out there that would appreciate your charms. perhaps telling this person would be the right thing to do, but also consider that you are the one that isn't committed to anyone.

besides, there's always pippin. [face_devil]

17. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    currently pippin has someone, too. ;) so you know, so much for that idea. yeah, sure, i'll probably still ask him, but it'll be mostly just cause i said i would and not cause i honestly think i'd get a positive response.

i'd really have no problem telling this guy that i like him (because i'm stupid like that), but i haven't seen him without his girlfriend in months. he's always got *someone* with him and i'd really prefer to tell him alone. and he seems to have stopped coming online altogether, so i can't even just email him.

it does sort of seem like maybe he's afraid of being alone, in which case, i can really pick them. :p every guy i like seems to be that kind of guy. he's not a player at all; i think he really cares about the girl he's with or he wouldn't be with her. but as far as being alone, most of the guys i like seem to be terrified of that.

what drives me crazy is i'm pretty sure he might like me, too. he definitely does all the things *i* do to let someone know i like them. but everytime i think that a guy likes me, when i bring it up to him, he spazzes out and never talks to me again. grr. so it's almost not worth taking the chance if i value this guy's friendship, and i do.

anyway, thank you for the compliments guys, but i'll never believe you. ;) i'm getting used to being everyone's second choice so i'm starting to get kind of bitter (in a slightly amusing way). ;) second place isn't the worst place to be, but it's not the best, and after a while you start to take it personal that you can never be anyone's number one. :p

blahblahblah i pity myself too much. ;p

i'm quite enjoying this thread, though. whee.

18. wardenx

Apr 23, 2003
    Self-pity is an excuse to no succed. Your happiness depends on you being ok with you and knowing that you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't have it your way EVER. LMAO I study strategy and tactics from military history and if there's one thing that has been drummed into every military commander since the dawn of time, it's that you can set a battle plan in motion but once the battle starts, the plan goes out the window.

What that ammounts to in your case, I guess, is that you do what you can to the best of your ability and damn the consequences. There are guys out there, believe it or not, who will LIKE you for who you are. But you'll never find them if you hide behind self-pity. It taints your view of yourself and the people you relate with. And that can't be healthy.

And, for the record, you are DEFINITELY a beautiful woman. Make no mistake about it. ;) Take it to heart and belive it.

19. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Right.

We like and love you for who you are... Including all of your idiosyncrasies...

You're good people Jess, make no mistake.

20. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Yeah, I tried to convince Jess of all that while we were dating. It apparently didn't work. :)

For the record, Jess, You weren't my second choice. In fact, I remember a little jelousy on my part when I thought that Void was pursuing you as well.

21. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    moe? you and jess? wow. i can definitely see why.

off-topic, but just how many pff'ers have dated/are dating within the group now?

22. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Good grief! Is this where all that "As the Sandcrawler turns" soap opera referencing originates from? Is there more I should (and shouldn't) know? :D

23. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Yes,

This is where "As the sandcrawler turns" comes from...

BONG

(hitting nail on the head)

24. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Quote from Moe to myself "Are you and Void uhm together?" [face_laugh] sometimes guys really do have to be hit over the head by these things. :)

25. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Need I remind you that I hadn't seen any of you in well over a month at that time, and I wasn't aware of your romantic developments? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.