main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Feeling the Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by lrdmonarch, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    Apart from seeing the actors say that they feel the Force and seeing them use it. I've always felt like since we aren't actually there in the scene, in the fiction, that we have a difficult time actually understanding how the characters actually feel the Force.

Like in Episode VI, Vader tells Luke that "its impossible to resist my son.", but since I never could feel what Luke was feeling, its difficult to understand what the Emperor might be doing through the Force directed towards Luke.

I wonder how it feels to use it, does one get euphoria, or a sense of bliss, or when someone uses the Dark Side. I wonder how that feels.

"Feel the Force around you." Yoda told Luke, but how does it feel? Is it ever explained?

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    It's probably better than sex.

3. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    From the emotions we got from Sidious during and after he blasts Mace, you may be right. <BG>

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'd imagine it would be hard to explain a feeling like that. One would have to be force sensitive to feel the force and know the sensation,and impossible to explain it to someone who could not touch the force.

It would be like trying to explain the feeling of love and being in love to someone who has never felt or experinced love before. If you never felt it at least once, then there is no point trying to have it explain how it feels it because it is one those things that can never really explained in words.

That's how I look at it. If you aren't sensitive to the force, then you will never truly know how it feels not matter how much someone who is force sensitive will try to explain it to you.

5. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    I think this is like a man asking a woman to describe what it's like to be pregnant and give burth. No matter how much she explains and no matter what words she uses, a man will never be able to know really what it's like.

Unless there are common occurrences, it would be difficult to explain.

6. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    When training for Tai Chi, Qigong, Reiki, Kundalini Yoga and the like you are taught to "feel the Chi" (or Ki). It's like feeling a flow of energy, it may be felt as tingling, warmth or heat, or a hard to describe form of "pressure" through energy. The way it's felt is different from person to person, but there always is a sensation of energy. I could imagine that "feeling the Force" might be a similar experience, given the (living) Force's resemblence to the Chinese concept of "Chi".

7. Lolkje

Lolkje Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    I imagine the Force feeling like standing in a river or the ocean at the beach, only the "currents" are gentler waves of energy put out by all living things everywhere, and a person is able to "feel" the currents up to varying distances away, depending on the strength of the current and the person's sensitivity. A rocky river feels differently from a smooth-bed river, and a deep river feels differently from a shallow river, as examples of how distant sources of life and closer sources of life might feel different from each other.

If you've seen drawings that explain how an airplane wing flies, I imagine that the Force interacts in a similar manner with inanimate (nonliving) objects. Nonliving matter might create eddies in the currents, so Luke could "see" the remote by feeling it disturb the Force currents in front of him. One could also somehow manipulate the Force current on one side of an object, lifting it like a rock or an X-wing, or ripping objects from the walls of Bespin and hurtling them at your foe. Differently from a wing in air, however, the Force can at least partially penetrate inanimate objects, so you can feel your brother calling for help, your father looking for you, or where the Death Star exhaust shaft opening is, through the hull of a ship.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The best way I can explain it from the books I've read on SW [Yea Yea,EU] You feel the connections to everything, you feel the heartbeat and life of living things. When you use the force to touch an object, you feel the texture of the object.

But once more,its all EU,and its all just a writers description.

9. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I've always imagined force sensitiveness as being markedly different
    between Jedi and Sith.

The Jedi, it seems to me, let the force flow through them. They are conduits.
    They allow their bodies and spirits to adapt to the force.

The Sith, it seems to me, gather the force in and around them. They are outlets.
    They adapt the force to their bodies and spirits.

"Control, control, you must learn control." Yoda

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    The Force cannot be explained, it must be experienced. :p

I know it's a matrix line but I;m serious. I'm pagan and we believe in some sort of force (I call it the Force but there are a few names) that binds all living thing together.

I have felt it, it is not something that can be explained. I can show you what I feel like when it happens, I can even help you experience it yourself but it's what is describes as ineffible, unable to be put in words.

11. General_Grievous_x

General_Grievous_x Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    You know if you ever think you felt the force chances are it was really just gas.

12. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    ha ha ha

But I am serious.

13. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    "It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies. It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus. It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark."
    -Kreia

14. Jedi_Master_Kai

Jedi_Master_Kai Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    Describing how it is to feel zhe force is i think impossible. you have to expirience it. It is the same as asking zen master how does it feel to achieve satori (enlightment). it can not be described. you have to expirience it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.