main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Feelings Towards TFA/Future Movies?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EmperorAjay, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    I like the idea of having new Star Wars, but at the same time Disney is going to milk this dry for all eternity. There will be another trilogy after this one if they are making money hand over fist, and even more anthology movies. Maybe they'll take a break from 2020 for a few years, but there will be more, and who knows what else...

The nice thing about ROTJ is it wraps it up. Sure you have the semi-canon of the novels, but as far as hard official canon is concerned, it's a happy ending and our heroes live happily ever after and the Empire is defeated, etc. I don't like the idea of that being undone.

IE- Coruscant is not the seat of a New Republic.
    IE- There is no new Jedi Order with hundreds or even thousands of Knights.
    IE- We have to watch something horrific like Han Solo dying.

The excitement of having new Star Wars canon probably outweighs it, but it is still worrisome.

2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Do you think the specialness of the other films is undermined by having endless sequels?

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't care that much... I just watch the films that suit my personal canon. I have Star Wars, Empire, Jedi and Caravan of Courage! If TFA is good I'll add it to the collection :cool: Same as the stand alones... So far I am 4 and 4!

The only one I feel bad about is TPM... I love Darth Maul and the pod racing!

4. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    Yeah. I watch a show called 'Dark Matter' and one of the characters asked one of the other characters if they wanted to come see 'Star Wars 36' remastered with them as it was a classic. It was funny but not unrealistic.... When something is produced primarily to make boatloads of cash and with no regard to story then yeah.... obviously our corporate overlords want to make money, but there should be a limit even for them.

Vohnkar likes this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is why they probably need to jump around in the timeline...? Bond still works BUT that is constant re-boots (No thanks) Though I wouldn't be against a PT re-boot...

6. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Speaking of Bond, I wanna see Christoph Waltz as a top First Order officer in Ep. VIII and/or IX. Just because.

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Who said there's no regard to story?

8. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    James Bond is still going strong after 20-something films, so is Star Trek. I'm sure the same will happen with Indiana Jones when they recast that character eventually. It's the nature of the film business now. George knew this too when he sold it.

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think that what happens after "Happily Ever After" is always interesting.
    I don't have a list of Things That Must Be, that some folks seem to have. I am flexible as to what they do with the Universe, what they do with the old characters and Ideas.

Things like whether Coruscant is the Capital or not... really, does it matter? Let the story do with that planet what it will, or ignore it completely. Whatever works. Too much of what posters are saying is Important, really isn't at all. Just tell a good story.

10. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Bingo!

11. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm down with as many films and shows as they want to make. I'll complain if, in my opinion, the quality starts to go down. As of right now I'm nothing but jazzed with the future of Star Wars.

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    The Bond writers are smart. They know to change the mood and reset the story to fit the times. Discard old baggage.

I like that the Star Wars movies now have a built in Dr Who Regeneration system. Every 3 movies you bring in fresh faces, and retire/murder the previous Trilogy people. Keeps it fresh.

13. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    Uhhh, what? We have a lot of returning characters.... the big three, the droids, chewie, even Admiral Ackbar... and they are going to probably play important parts in the entire trilogy, at least some of them will....

As for Bond, it's not the same. Bond isn't linear. Brosnan Bond has no connection to Craig bond, so really at most you have several movies strung together, and then it reboots again.

SW is a vast saga... an intergalactic Game of Thrones...

Luke02 likes this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    *waits for tomatoes to be thrown at me* He make a perfect Grand Admiral Thawn "type character".

As for thread itself, I think some are jumping the gun assuming entire world is "Mad Max meets Star Wars". We don't know anything for sure except it sounds like most if not all this movie takes places in the outer rim which as always been had a dystopian feel to it, even during the height of the Republic. So who knows what the core is like. Things might be "okay" which I gotten a feeling they are for now and the First Order is trying to surround the New Republic type government and strangled it. The Skykiller Base is one of the ropes it wants to use this in order to do this.

Krueger and Import_Jedi like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    More excited for Rogue One than anything else. I know I won't be seeing everything (that's true of every genre I enjoy.) If it's a great story and intriguing characters, I'll probably give it a look.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Of course it wont go forever. People will get sick of it, the big Close Encounters of the Third Kind revival will happen and Star Wars will be forgotten. Whatever. Nothing is forever.

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I hardly ever go to the movies. But if you slap Star Wars on it I'll fork over my cash to see it in theater. At least until I can stream the film straight to my TV opening night. Once that's possible I'll never step foot in a theater again.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm mainly interested in seeing the original cast one more time. Once they're out I probably will be too, unless they do an Ob-Wan film with McGregor or a director I really dig is given a film.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  19. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    You never know. You might like the new movies.

Krueger likes this.
  20. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    I'm really excited right now, but a new Star Wars movie every year might eventually make it somewhat less special IMO. I am very glad that we are getting a SW and that we didn't have to end on the awful prequel movies. All the spin offs and future trilogies are what worry me.

21. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    If Disneys plan is to setup the GFFA so they can keep extending this particular Star Wars story out with endless sequels.....I'm not going to be happy with that....

I like definitive conclusions and happy endings......especially what used to be ROTJs send off.

When I first heard about there being another trilogy....my first thought was"so they think they can conclude the saga started in Ep1 better Than ROTJ???? ....we'll see"

And it's going to be an extra level of frustration, considering they didn't need to keep adding on to this story for Star Wars to still remain insanely profitable.....The GFFA has so many possibilities, yet they want to stick around in the big 3s era and IMO....
    "play with fire."

I would give them mad props if they could do it...but again(sadly for me at least) i don't think thats one of their major goals(Ending the Saga even better)...

22. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    James Bond is up to 24 films! I don't know if I want to see 24 SW films with the Second or Third of Fourth Order battling the New New Republic of Resistance Rebels. I may be too old to care! ;)

With regards to the happy ending of the original trilogy it's possible it may not have been a complete happy ending. Given Han's personality, he's a bit of a rogue and with a dubious smuggling past, it's highly likely he would have returned to smuggling or done a few unlawful things to make some extra credits. I can imagine Han avoiding the authorities, having a few shady dealings with the underworld. And I think Leia would disapprove and this would put a strain on their relationship.

As for Luke, I see two potential post RotJ scenarios:

1) Luke continues as a Jedi and protects the New Republic (or whatever it's called) against new enemies. He helps the Republic create a new Jedi Order. Luke would stop villains from the underworld and other alien criminals from exploiting a SW universe which no longer has the threat of the Sith and Empire. Luke's children - if he had any - could become Jedi however Luke may have wanted them to take another path in life. It's conceivable Luke would not want his sons/daughters to become Jedi because Jedis lead dangerous lives. I can't imagine Luke would want to send his son or daughter into a new war against those wishing the fall of the Jedi. I don't think many EU authors ever considered that.

2) Luke gives up the Jedi way and settles down with a family or lives on his own.

The further adventures of Han and Luke may not make for the most epic SW adventure ;) but it's possible they could have lived an eventful life after the victory over the Empire at the end of RotJ.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The guy that plays Tywin Lannister was born for this type of role!! Then again I thought Max Von Sydow was a certainty for a First Order officer... [face_dunno]

Import_Jedi likes this.
  24. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I am sure Christoph Waltz would love a little cameo in a Star Wars movie.
    "Lord Ren! We have come out of hyperspace and *ACK*"
    Hands to throat.
    Falls down dead.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  25. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    What is gffa?? And Max von sydow Plays a former imperial officer.. Allegedly a character from the originals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.