main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Feelings Towards TFA/Future Movies?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EmperorAjay, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    We don't know the details of the story. The leaks are very general, with several rather important pieces completely missing from the picture. I don't know how you can pass judgement on this story without seeing how it all hangs together.

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

If George Lucas really cared that much about getting his vision of Episode VII on the screen he'd simply would have produced Star Wars Episode VII himself.

What about this don't you get? Lucas chose not to direct/write/produce this new trilogy, despite hitherto being the only human being in the world who had the right to do so.

Instead George chose to create treatments, and strike up negotiations with actors, in the hopes of making the sale of Lucasfilm as financially enticing as possible.

Publicly Lucas has denounced plans to do the ST for decades. He only dusted off some ideas for the ST when it became apparent that he needed a greater financial incentive when the time came from him to sell off his company.

I am a Lucas fan. I hope to one day learn of the entire content of his treatments. But I will not whine and moan because George Lucas made a choice to not be more involved in this sequel trilogy. If George cared half as much as you do he'd have made the damn thing himself.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The process of adding dialogue to a treatment (making a script) is extremely difficult.

4. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    It's because of his age. If he were 20 years younger I bet he would have done it himself. He even said most of the money he gets from the sale is going to charity, so he just decided that time and that was more important. I mean who knows really when you're in your 70's... you could have another 30 years left, or another 3.... he doesn't know. That doesn't mean he isn't affected by them treating his treatments like trash rather than the treasure they likely are.

KenW likes this.
  5. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Does this matter? Are we caring about this? Coruscant wasn't in the OT, either.

I'm all for this one. I'd way rather see something like this formed onscreen than off. Plus, the idea of Luke training "hundreds or thousands" of Jedi in 30 years is silly. There'd be maybe 100 or 150 Jedi after that amount time, anyway, so why not go whole hog and show the foundation of the New Order.

All depends on the story.

6. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    No? Just making up numbers here but let's say Luke Initially trains 10.... 10 years later those 10 train 10, 10 years later those 100 train 10... that's 1000 :p

And no.... I am 99% sure that Han Solo will die in Episode VII and likely this was a condition Ford had for doing it.

7. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Not really how things work. Luke wouldn't initially train ten, anyway. Even in the old EU Jedi class sizes were pretty small. So reduce the number "ten" to the number "two."

And? It all depends on the story. If Han dies, he dies. If he dies stupidly, i have a problem, but if he goes out a Hero i'm happy.

8. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    Remember Lucas didn't want to kill Han. I HIGHLY doubt he dies in his treatments.... I don't think Lucas is big on killing core characters like it is GOT unless there is an obvious story reason for it like with Obi-Wan.

Times are different. Luke only had very limited time for Obi-Wan to train him.... so I think the way it is done would conceivably change to replenish their ranks.

KenW likes this.
  9. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Lucas didn't want Han to die in 1983. Now they are dealing with an aged and cranky superstar Harrison Ford that never really liked the character to begin with.

And? If anything Luke would slow the training down, not speed it up.

10. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    [snip] This OT v PT bashing won't be tolerated.

11. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Way to cry Uncle, bud. Hand wringing wasn't enough for you?

Sith is a better movie than Jedi. Jedi has a ton of problems (Ewoks, no middle act, muddled structure, etc...). But we weren't talking about that, were we?

12. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I wouldn't worry, he's going to die off-screen.

13. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    When I see people say any of the movies have a ton of problems, I am just wondering what the hell everyone is thinking.

14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Everyone has different definitions and expectations for what constitutes a good story. It's really that simple. Some people think Sith is better then Jedi, some people think Jedi is better then Sith. Nobody's right, nobody is wrong, it's just a matter of opinion.

Now gimmie an Ewok flying an X-Wing damnit!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    That is your opinion. And while it is likely an opinion shared by many, it is not shared by all. ROTS is my favorite movie in the series so far, and I have my reasons. It is closely followed by ROTJ, and then TESB.

And as for the new movies, I'm looking forward to the ST, because it seems like they are really putting in a lot of attention to detail and are really trying to make a good story. I also like how each one of them is going to be directed by different people, so we might see many aspects of the SW universe interpreted within one trilogy, while at the same time it's kept cohesive by Kathleen.

I am iffy on future main titles past Episode 9, primarily because if there's gonna be a main title in the series, I want John Williams to score it. And I also feel like there's only so far they can go with the Skywalker saga before it starts to feel stretched out. As it is, with the ST, it already has the potential to be a bit of a stretch, but it seems like they are really gonna nail it and I think they can pull it off and make it great and cohesive to the story. Going past the ST though, it may be hard to keep it together and less obvious that the series is being milked.

Just my opinion though.

16. Infinite Cactus

Infinite Cactus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015
    I feel excited, and curious about the Sequel Trilogy. I don't have the feeling that it's just purely a cash grab, nor do I feel anything to the nature of Lucas is being disrespected/exploited/what have you. George put his trust in several people to continue these movies. He already had a vast wealth so it's not like he was hurting and had his arm bent into selling it. It's what he wanted. It's fine not being excited that we're getting Star Wars with Lucas at the helm, but I can't possibly understand the view that somebody somehow pulled a fast one on the man. But if you consider Lucas to generally make great decisions about Star Wars, then maybe consider that this is another decision he made about Star Wars. The other option was, he definitely wasn't going to make them at this point, so at least you get new movies. Even if you hate the ST you can still enjoy the movies you've always liked, it doesn't denigrate any of those experiences.

jaqen and Krueger like this.
  17. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Not to mention that Kathleen Kennedy has been involved with some of the greatest genre films of the past three decades.

jaqen likes this.
  18. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    I bet KK hasn't even seen all of what's considered canon in SW... I don't know about the movies.. definitely not Clone Wars.... or the games(even though now those are grey territory) She's basically just a big wig.

Anyway, uh no.... when I saw ROTS my impression was I think in the B range. It was a good film on its own, but even that doesn't live up to the originals, all of whom get varying degrees in the A range. I might go A+, A-, A, but really it depends. I mean they're all really great. As for the first two, eh, I might bump them up to a passing C even though my initial impression was not so generous....

I want to see a McGregor Obi-Wan spin-off though. That would be kewl.

KenW likes this.
  19. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
  20. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015
    You are free to think ROTJ is better than ROTS and that's perfectly fine obviously. However, saying ROTS is "objectively" nowhere near ROTJ is false. Look at RT scores for ex. Sith is at 80% certified fresh. ROTJ is at 78%.
    ROTS is at 68/100 on Metacritic. ROTJ is at 52/100.

21. EmperorAjay

Dec 1, 2014
    Critics love a lot of movies I think are garbage, and hate ones I find entertaining.
    That's not a good barometer. They are often snobby.

22. Tommy-wan

Aug 15, 2015
    Well of course you can rate movies however you like. I rate ROTS higher than ROTJ. You are free to disagree as long as you don't force your opinion on me. (I'm not saying you are). :)

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    78% vs. 80% is so marginal that it's essentially meaningless, especially given the different mix of critics.

24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Good on you. But don't try and pass off your opinion as fact.

SgtTimBob likes this.
  25. Tommy-wan

Aug 15, 2015
    I didn't say there was a huge difference. 78% vs 80% is basically the same. 52 vs 68 on metacritic is a bit bigger difference. (Still not huge obviously).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.