main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Does anyone have any directions on how to do the hairstyles? I figured away how to do some of Leia's, some I have to use a wig for and others I can do my own hair. But there has to be some directions out there that say how to do the Handmaidens hair and all the other fun hairstyles.

if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

2. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Well, you'll probably think I'm joking, but I can tell you that most of the hairstyles appearing on the movie are,in most cases, a good copy of the ones that ladies of ancient Rome and Greece used to wear; I don't know if this is gonna be very useful to you, but at least I hope it will give you some ideas:

http://www.roman-empire.net/society/soc-dress.html

Romanae Antiquae:http://www.realm-of-shade.com/RomanaeAntiquae/adornments.html

Microsoft.Comune di Roma.Capitolium org.Fori Imperiali: http://www.capitolium.org/eng/virtuale/donne.htm

If some of these are wrong typed, and you cannot access to them, write the adress at
    http://www.google.com, and it will indicate you the right link.
    Most of them have useful links to go, where you can,perhaps, find more about those old hairstyles.

I hope someone will be able to cope with you adding something more 'actual' than me!
    :)

3. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    It does help really. Now I just need my hairdresser friend to see if she can duplicate some of these things. :D I love having friends who can do all of this for me.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    And I read an article somewhere on SW.com that said that most of the female hair stlyes are created with fake hair. So they hair pieces are created seperatly then added on with.

5. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Well that kind of makes it hard for others to copy it. But I have wig connectioncs too. I just realized how great it is to have all these connections with people who I thought had rather boring jobs.

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I noticed this similarity. I'm sure some others of you have as well, but I thought I would post it.

Did anyone notice the notes in the Visual dictionary about her hair?

"Formal Court Hairstyle"

Which explains why she wears the same do twice...

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Padme/__tn_PD_Hair.jpg?bcEl1B9As4WduqDg] [image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Padme/__tn_WT_Hair.jpg?bcEl1B9Ar5msggGi]

7. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I am a licensed hair stylist, and most of the hair styles in EpI and II are achieved wiht fake hair. Even Padme's simpe handmaiden ponytail and braids on Tatooine were extensions-as her hair was then only about shoulder length. If you look closely you can see the color difference in the top of her hair and the ponytail. The hair on the big headresses-Throne Room, Pre-Senate, Senate, etc. were all hair made into the headpieces and then the whole thing was just put onto her head. This is the same with a lot of the EpII hair. The little buns Padme wears are fake ones attached to the little hair holders, and just attached to the headbands.
    Fake hair can be purchased at Sallys if you want to make the headpieces with the hair attached-but they are very difficult to make well-and take a lot of time. If youhave any questions you can go the the Amidala's gowns thread and we may be able to help you there with a certain hairstyle.

8. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    A hair style I'd like to do (and costume at some point because I like the colors) is the "wicker basket" one. I just like to call it that becuase that's what it looks like she's weaaring. A hairstyle similar I'd love to pull off but probably can't because my hair is too short is the main female character in Gladiator's hair.

9. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Do you guys have any ideas for non-movie hairstyles that wouldn't be too hard to do but are Star Wars-ish? I have really long and curly hair and I'm going to the premiere as a Jedi, but I don't have the time (or allowance) to get my hair done or find a wig. Any ideas...?

10. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    The very simplest SW hairstyle there is is Leia's Bespin braids. Put your hair up into a ponytail, divide it into three sections, and braid each section. Then take the two side braids and loop them up, attaching to the top of the ponytail, and wrap the third braid around it.

If you need/want pictures of how it goes, let me know.

11. Emilie

Emilie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I do. I want pictures, please
    :)

12. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    could you post the pics please I would like to know as well.
    Thanks!
    Strawbary

13. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I can take a pic and figure out how to do just about anything. I can do most of Deanna Troi's hairstyles on my own head, without hairpieces. If your hair is long enough, you could do Padme's as well ... if you had the time. But most people don't have knee-length hair!!!

I love to figure out how to do hair. Don't know how easy it is to help in print, though. It's easier to show how to do something in person. Anyone who loves near Richmond, VA, I like to do hair!

14. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Here y'all go, pictures/directions for Leia's Bespin hairstyle:

www26.brinkster.com/leiacost/hairstyles/bespin/index.html

If you click on each thumbnail, a larger picture pops up in another window.

Of course, it's not exactly like how she wears her hair, but it's a close approximation. The nice thing about this particular hairstyle is that it looks nice with tons of things without screaming Star Wars (always a plus during formal occasions like being a member of the bridal party *laugh*). Although screaming Star Wars isn't all that bad.

15. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I'm doing the celebration gown for Leia, and I'm using fake hair. . . What is the easiest way to do that hair style?

I am getting the hair soon, and will be practicing, but does anyone have any hints? Thanx a bunch guys!

Shaden *^_^*

PS. Once me and my mum start sewing, I'll post pictures of the dress in step by step phases!

16. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    How much hair do you have on your head? That's probably the key thing.

If you have very long hair, you can either use the fake hair for the braided bun, and let your real hair be the braid hanging down, or reverse that.

Or, if it's long enough to braid but not as long as Leia's, make the long braid from the fake hair, and use your real hair for the braided bun to cover it up.

And if it's short enough to not do either, you're going to have to practice braiding your real hair in with the fake. For that, you'd probably have to attach the fake stuff to a ponytail holder, and work your real hair into the braid. Then another fake braid around the top for the bun. LLL can probably explain how to use fake hair better than I can.

17. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    hello hello... i have a really annoying question for you guys, since you know what you're doing better than i do.

i'm planning on going to AOTC in amidala's celebration gown. i've had the dress done for two years (i made it for my senior ball in high school :)), but i'm pretty baffled as to how to do the hair (or something similar). i won't be using fake hair, but mine is pretty long (almost to the small of my back) and thick. it doesn't need to be identical or anything, just close, so any pointers you guys have would be much appreciated. :D

18. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Hmmm.... It's not going to be exact, but this is the best thing I could think of at the moment that didn't involve fake hair:

Pull your hair back into several ponytails close to one another, then twist each one individually until it folds back up on itself and pin in place. With long hair you're going to get something closer to the pictures below than if it were shorter. Longer "twists." You could probably cover the bases with silver ribbon, too, to give it more of that Star Wars feel.

Maggie's Padawan's Guide shows a [link="http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/parade_side.jpg]side view[/link] of the hair style, and also a front view.

19. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    awesome. thanks! i'll probably try it in the next few days so i have some idea of what i'm doing come may 16th, but i'll let you know how it turns out. :)

20. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Hi, all.

I thought this was supposed to email you when someone replied to the topic??? Grrr.

If I were doing the Leia bun and braids, I'd worry about all that weight pulling on the ponytail. That can really make your head sore, especially if you are planning on wearing it up all day.

You MIGHT be able to make three smaller ponytails close together, and hide them all with the bun? Or at the very least, use a LOT of pins around the perimeter of the bun, to anchor it to some of your other hair and disperse some of the weight.

I thought the bun part of the hairstyle was a "swirl," and not braided? There are ways to accomplish this. Probably not ways most women use to make that kind of bun, but I want mine to stay up 'til I TELL it to come down!!

Which Amidala gown do you mean ... the one VLAmidala uses for an avatar? To me this would be pretty simple to do. Haven't tried it on myself, though.

Basically, the parts that stick out around the head are "strips" of hair folded over on themselves like ribbon and anchored with little elastics at the bottom, close to the scalp. If they are too floppy or don't spread out enough (to be wide at the top and narrow at the elastic), I'd try some setting gel to stiffen and shape the hair. You could try cutting a small piece of cardboard, or using your fingers if you have the patience, as a "form" for the hair to set on while the gel dries.

Of course, these hair "protrusions" are only three inches or so long, max. You would end up with four or so little folded ponytails, each not containing much hair, around your head like the crown on the Statue of Liberty. If you have really long hair (as Amidala was supposed to), you will have all these little tails of hair that is too long and hangs out of the elastic. What to do? (And you can't really see what they did with Amidala's hair, either, as, 1. Natalie's hair wasn't really that long and this was ONE style where they didn't need to use hairpieces, I'll bet!, and 2, that collar covers the back of the hairstyle and you can't really see what the heck they did.

What I would do is CAREFULLY gather all the little tails into a pony at the back of your head (use an elastic!), twist it into a bun, and pin it.

When using fake hair I'd try hard to match both color and shine ... or use something on my hair to make it as shiny as the hairpiece. You can see in ANH, how shiny Leia's buns are compared to her scalp hair. I haven't had to use fake hair yet but I'd have to, to do anything Amidala wears.

Last but not least, when trying a new hairstyle for an important event, I ALWAYS practice it first. If I'm worried about it staying up, I make sure to do it on a day when I can just wear it around for a morning or afternoon and see how it holds up, especially if I plan to be doing a show or a costume con and can't be having it fall down! So far my biggest problem has been holding curl. I use elastics more than pins. They hold more reliably.

21. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    An excellent book to get you handier with your hair is:

Hair -- A Book of Braiding and Styles, by Anne Akers Johnson.

I have been seeing this in the bookstore still (bought mine several years ago) but if you cannot find one the address is:

Klutz Press
    2121 Staunton Court
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (415) 424-0739

22. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    The ANH Celebration hairstyle is the one with the huge braided bun on top of a long braid that hangs down. Almost exactly like her slave hairstyle. (picture here)

And yeah, I know it's supposed to be a swirled bun for the Bespin hairstyle. It's just easier for me to wrap a braid around the base, since I do my own hair. If you pin it right, it's honestly not that heavy. Does not hold up through lots and lots of dancing at wedding receptions, however. But by that point, it had been up for hours, so I really wasn't surprised.

The side of the parade gown hairstyle shows much more hair in back than appears from the typical 3/4 view like in her avatar. Exactly what that's supposed to look like from a straight on back-view, I have no idea! *laugh*

23. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Oh, you meant Leia, not Amidala!! (oops)

I'd *definitely* need fake hair for that one. Mine's just not long enough.

24. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    *snorts*

(parade gown hairstyle) Now, you can TELL that's fake hair!! It sticks up like it's made out of cardboard, and it's not even attached to her head except at the bottom!

That's what's so ridiculous about these Hollywood movie fashions. How is a 14 year old queen supposed to rule, if she spends 6 hours a DAY on her hair, clothes, and makeup???

I'd do it like I just said. That not only looks silly, it's also messy in back.

25. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    How to do the Leia hairstyle:

If I were going to do this one, I'd start with ALL my hair up in a bun. Then I'd braid one long piece of fake hair and attach it just below the bun with a light but sturdy hairclip small enough to hide under the rest of the fake hair.

I'd braid the rest of the fake hair, tuck an end somewhere out of sight, twine it around to cover all of my own hair, pin it in place, and tuck in the other end.

The problem with trying to make the hanging braid out of your own hair if yours isn't long enough is that, even if you manage to weave the fake stuff in seamlessly, at some point as you braid down you will run out of your own hair. This will cause the diameter of the hanging braid to narrow dramatically where your own hair ends, and then it's obvious you used fake hair. Plus, the top bun is HUGE. With all of your own hair under it, it will help provide a big enough foundation to wrap the fake braid around, and bulk the top bun up enough to look like the hairstyle in the movie.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.