main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Spacelady, I suggest you tease your hair underneath the 'pouf' ALOT more if its not working.

Basically you want to 'sculpt' the shape you want by teasing the hidden hair into pretty mucha huge knot and then only brush a thin layer over it to make it look nice.

I do this style alot on my own hair for random events.

2. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Thats sounds like a good idea! :D Thanks!! :) I will get started right away!!

Edit~do you have pics Crimson?

3. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Well, I like to sweep my hair to the side at the top usually but here is one from the side when I had the regular pouf:

[image=http://crimsonvision.net/redroses/frans51.jpg]

There are a bunch more pics HERE but not real clear on the hairstyle.

4. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Now I have a question for you all. Since I will be wearing my dark brown Padme wig and my real hair is BRIGHT red I need to figure out what to put in my hairline in case the wig slips a little.

Has anyone used any temporary haircolor that tis really temporary? I'd like to avoid the stuff that makes your hair crunchy...

Thoughts?

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I don't have much experience with wearing a full wig (just pieces), but all the wig sites sell those caps to wear underneath - just a glorified knee-high nylon stocking top really. I imagine that would hold your own hair down quite flat and cover it well, and you might be able to take those tiny clips and anchor the wig to it underneath? If you got a stocking that matches the Padmé wig colour as closely as possible, you could probably get away with it.

Just theorizing here....

6. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Yep, I have a wig cap (and lots of wig experience to boot) but sometimes the red still shows at my hairline (the very edges of the wig) when I sit it where it is supposed to be. Usually I dont care so much but I'd really like this one to be super perfect. :)

7. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Darn hairlines--I know what you mean. I have a darn "widow's peak" that likes to peek out from a wig. Most of those temp haircolors will stain your hair and will take while to fade out. Then of course those "Halloween" sprays will become crunchy and also look fakey. I would suggest something like "Fanci-Full". It comes in a pink bottle and it only costs a few bucks. It is temporary and goes on really easily. It is a very thin liquid that you just comb right through your hair-and will dry soft just like your "real" hair. It comes in different shades, too.It doesn't have harsh chemicals and washes out well--with a shampoo or two. I would check your local Beauty Supply store for it--but Wal-Mart might even have it.

On stage I have known some people to use makeup or even diluted paint to blend and hide any hair from under a wig.

Hope that helps out a fellow Red head [face_devil] ~Ferd

8. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Yep, I have the same problem Ferd. :)

You know, I tried that stuff once. I think the directions told me to put it on while hair was wet. Didnt work at all...well, not enough to be noticable. Maybe I'll get a darker color. Also I think the directions say to apply to wet hair maybe if I brush it on while dry it will work better.

Will get some tomorrow! Thanks!

9. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Okay I was playing around with the Hot Rollers last night and thils morning but I can't seem to get my hair to curl all it does is do a small curl/very wavy! :mad: should I get new ones?? I bought it at Walmart.

10. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Maybe you are not leaving them in long enough? I also find it works better if I spray a little hair spray on each section of hair before rolling it.

Also, you might not be unrolling it right. You want to grasp the base of the curl with one hand while *untwisting* the curler in a spiraling down sort of motion. That gives it the shape of curl you are looking for.

Hope that sorta helps.

11. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Your right. The directions say to just let it go.

Thanks! :D

12. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    When I wear my Leia wig I use brown eye mascara on my hairline just in case. Its easy to comb in with the little brush and it won't stain your hair.

13. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    So I went out and got the Fanci-ful stuff yesterday in the darkest color they had; Raven Black. Tried it on a test piece of my boy's hair (he needs to have dark hair for the MR gathering on Friday night at DragonCon) last night.

Couldn't see ANY difference after we put it in and he has blonde hair. Gonna take the liquid stuff back; they had some in mousse that was a little more expensive so we'll try that.

Iycis; thanks for the mascara tips; its a great idea!

Spacelady; glad I could help. Gonna post some pics of your hairstyle? Heh, Im curious to see how many Captian Jacks and Elizabeths will be at DragonCon this year; Im already getting Hallowee costume requests for PotC costumes!

14. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm not goning to post pics because, it still did not work!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: It makes it wavier than before!!!!!!! :mad:

Should I just take it back??

15. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    How much hair are you wrapping around each curler? If you're using large chunks of hair, it's only going to end up wavy, not curly, because the heat can't reach all of it.

16. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Well I only have 12 of them and I can bearly get thought 10 of them.

17. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    You're not brushing the curls after you take them out of the rollers, are you?

Other than that I suggest you go to a hairdresser and have them show you how to create a spiral curl cause Im out of explinations...

18. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Crimson Sorry the Fancifull didn't work for ya :( It's been years since I've used it--and it used to work fine. Maybe they changed the formula :confused: The mousse sounds like a good idea though.

Are you looking to just "dye" the hairline--or all of your hair--just for a while? You could attempt the diluted paint with a sponge applicator--or the mascara technique--but I would be scared to do too much of that because of the "crunchy" factor.

I would just be very careful dealing with dyes--even semi-permanant ones. I have naturally reddish hair and I dyed mine Black(semi-perm) for a costume once and I swear it almost NEVER came out. It stained my hair and I had to go blonde just to get it out. ICK!!! It was awful!!

Hmmmmm......still thinking of things to suggest. :)

spacelady Have you tried sleeping in sponge rollers or doing pin curls? I have *VERY* thick hair and a lot of the time the only way I can get curls to turn out are with those methods. Perms don't even stay in my hair.

I would wash your hair, put a fair amount of mousse and or gel in to "dirty it up a bit" then do the curls--again with a small amount of hair in each sponge roller or pin. Then sleep on them. Once your hair is dry take them out and Voila! You should have nice curls.

~Ferd :)

19. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Ferd, I'm just trying to do my hairline but the boy needs to do the whole hairline for his Christian outfit on Friday night.

I think the mascara will work fine for me but not him.

20. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Sponge rollers never work for me I will just have to ask a pro.

21. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    spacelady If hot rollers, sponge rollers and pin curls don't work for you--I would certainly say you have a problem :confused: Queen Seamstress is a Pro hairstylist--You could try sending her a PM.

Crimson For him--you need to cover blonde hair and make it blend with a brown wig? Have you looked into natural Henna products? They are supposed to fade in a couple of weeks--and don't have the harsh chemicals. Of course it could stain blonde hair.

Anyone familiar with a decent hair place near Dragon Con? I am thinking of doing some outfits that require funky hairdo's and I don't know if I trust myself to make them look good.
    ~Ferd

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Ferd, what kinda hairstyles are you thinking of, and when? (I ask for a reason, I promise...)

-sg

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Sg That's right--You're a local :)
    My plans are not solid--but I am pretty sure it's Baby Doll Friday (sponge rollers on the way up from FL) And "Just Breathe" for Sunday (**Need hair help**) And for Sat I am still trying to decide but I am entertaining the idea of the "Packing Dress" (**Need even more hair help). The other "ideas" will also have some "do's" that need help. The hair situation will help make my final decision. I'm trying to avoid wigs if I can.
    My hair is about to my shoulder blades and VERY Thick!!! I am not gifted with updo's on myself. :(
    Any Ideas?

~Ferd :)

24. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I *may* have a solution...
    I'm PMing you with the info...

-sg

25. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Just to let you know, henna does NOT fade in a few weeks - consider it a permanent hair colour. Also, the browns will still have a 'redness' to them, but might be okay. And henna doesn't have the chemicals, but does still tend to dry the hair out like the chemical hair colours do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.