Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! =)
  2. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool how long will it take you to put the pics up? :)

I can't wait! :)

Spacelady
  3. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm going to try to get the pictures up tomorrow, and then Linda will have to write the text for them. Should be finished no later than next week.
  4. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    NO matter how hard I try I can't get the Pastel hairstyle!! Even with How To's... :mad: I've tried almost everything, fake hair. I really don't know what to do!! I get so angry because I can't get it right!!
  5. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    well, i must admit, it must be more difficult with short hair. i Almost had it useing a washcloth, but i didn't have enough cloth =P my mom told me to try to use a hand towel or something. but since you have short hair you might wanna just make a hair piece. you can do something like kay_dee is doing for the purple senate dress hairpiece

you would have to incorporate your shorter hair into a hair piece though..., look here
    from the best pic i can find i enlarged this part, now my numbers:

1.Natalie's real hair from the front of her face pulled back and around the hair piece (#4) so that the piece is somewhat held to her head better.
    2.To me, that little piece of hair is also Natalie's and is incorporated into the other side of the hair piece since her hair has a noticeable difference from the hair piece when you look for it here, here you can see both sides and and it looks like the fake hair comes toward her fowarhead and integrated with her real hair on the sides,probly held with pins, so it seems that she has hair from her head pulled into the piece, but the center of the piece (2nd pic) seems like the headband is sitting on her head, but above it at the same time.

3.Here you can see how her real hair is pulled back over the headband of the headpiece

4.Natalie's real hair is wrapped around the hairpiece at this point, another picture of the other side of her head shows this twist going the same way. this means that those two pieces of Natalie's hair are crossed under the piece, wrapped around it and pinned someplace under there.
    Going from 3 to 4, it seems to me there must be a ton of pins hiding, holding that hair piece to the back of her head =\ not so sure... i haven't put much thought into this though, there must be tons of pins under those pieces of her real hair to hold that to her head

there ya go spacelady, i hope my analysis of her hair helps ya out, if you go the route of the hairpiece that is. i remember you mentioning you had rather short hair. =P
  6. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yay I just bought a wig for my Eowyn costume!!!!!

here and here
  7. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ooh, nice one, Sister_Sola! Which Eowyn are you doing?

Caitlin
  8. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    This one:

[image=http://sistersola.com/Extras/Eowyn-travel-big.jpg]
  9. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Are the pics ready yet? :D

I can't wait! :D

Spacelady
  10. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    Patience, young padawan.

The pictures are up and in order, but there's no accompanying text to explain what's going on in each one. Linda has to go out of town for a few days, so I won't get the text until after she returns.
  11. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
  12. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
  13. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    StormTrooperPrincess your rainbow dress hairstyle is just amazing! You have really nailed it! Your success with the hairstyle is almost making me reconsider having a go at making this costume!

Great Job!

-Kay Dee
  14. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    oooh, very very nice =) i'll hafta read through alla it tomorrow since i only have time to skim right now
  15. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    All the praise goes to Linda (scribe88) for that one. All I did was take pictures and do the HTML; she did everything else.
  16. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, I didn't know that scribe88 came up with the hairstyle. Great work scribe! And thanks to StormtrooperPrincess for putting together a fantastic web page :)

This is hairstyle related - I finally finished my Purple Senate Headdress! Here is a link to the photos (the page may take a while to load because I have not had time to make thumbnail images).

Purple Senate Headdress (cone shaped) worn in Episode II when Padme reuintes with Anankin for the first time.

The secret to getting this thing to stay on your head is buy adding wig combs along the inner top portion of the headdress. You should then really tease your hair along the front top section (it's also an option to first set your hair in small curlers to give it more body). After teasing the hair, section it off into little ponytails using rubberbands all along the top of your head. (This is what the wig combs grab onto while your headdress defies gravity). Finally, pull all of your hair into a bun on the top of your head and put on your headdress :)

-kay dee
  17. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    StormtrooperPrincess and scribe88, the hairstyles look great! Thank you for the invaluable resource of the well detailed tutorials!
  18. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Your pics are INCREDIBLE!! Now I can do that hairstyle with a LOT more ease! :) But I don't think my hair is long enough to do that! :( All well I'll just get a hair piece, or something...

Thanks for the pictures!

Spacelady
  19. scribe88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm glad it's been helpful to everyone.

(Sorry I haven't been by sooner. I lost power in the hurricane and only JUST got it back on. One week of stumbling around in the dark by flashlight ...)

Kay dee, I saw your headdress pics a while ago (before the lights went out). They are really amazing!! A friend of mine did that dress, and we were wondering how to do the headdress. Unfortunately, my friend has very short blond hair. How on earth would you get that thing to stay on THEN?

Anyway, now I'm hooked. Anybody got another hairstyle they've been trying to do and can't get figured out??

--LL.

PS-- Many many MANY thanks to StormtrooperPrincess for taking these pics and setting up the website. I am COMPLETELY computer illiterate, so if she hadn't been able to do that this would never have gone up on the net.
  20. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Kay dee, I saw your headdress pics a while ago (before the lights went out). They are really amazing!! A friend of mine did that dress, and we were wondering how to do the headdress. Unfortunately, my friend has very short blond hair. How on earth would you get that thing to stay on THEN?

Scribe, I guess it depends on just how short someone's hair is. It needs to be just long enough on top to make a row of little rubberbanded pig tails a few inches back from the forehead. Kind of like corn rows. They follow the line of the circumference of the head piece where the inner combs slide into the hair.

The back and sides need to be just long enough to bring it up under the headdress - even if they need to use a lot of bobbypins if the hair really isn't long enough to make even a tiny nub of a ponytail or bun.

-kay dee
  21. scribe88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmmm ...

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to have to do a little thinking about this ...
  22. amazonqueen16 Jedi Knight

Did everyone die or what?? I wanted to see the pics someone promised from DragonCon!! Plus does anyone know how to do Barriss Offee's headdress/cloak? I made one but the hood isnt big enough to look quite right...
  23. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
  24. amazonqueen16 Jedi Knight

Thank you. Does anyone know how to hid my hair underneath my Barriss Offee costume? it looks like she has a black hood on too butI cant tell. any help?
  25. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    How would you do the Eowyn's hairstyle? Just the one where her hair is down? where it's all wavy?

http://maidenfair.net/miranda/closewind.jpg

Thanks! :)
    spacelady
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.