main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Remember how you did your hair for Padmé? With all the curls? I think some of your posts are here earlier in this thread, where you got rollers of some sort. Anyhow, it's much the same as Padmé's hairstyle. All you would have to do is to "uncurl" it a bit after you take the rollers out, by running your fingers or a comb through it. I have used sponge rollers, come out with gigantic sausage curls, and then brushed them out. The result looked quite a bit like Eowyn's hair, except that I'm a brunet. I guess that would make it Arwen's hair, then, eh? 8-} I did use gel, though, which I believe is why the curl fluffed up when I brushed it instead of just disappearing.

You could also try braiding it, but that's never worked as well for me personally. Best of luck! :)

2. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    [face_laugh] That really help! :)

Okay, how about the Arwen Dream dress?

http://www.lovelylivtyler.com/showpic.html?url=/pictures/lotr/lotr918.jpg&title=Lord_Of_The_Rings&text=

I understand that it's half up and half down but I don't understand how you hold it in...

3. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Probably held in with bobby pins, I'd just experiment with arranging your hair until you found something you liked.

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    To me, it looks similar to the hairstyle Padme wears with the blue poncho Tatooine outfit, although you'd pull larger sections of hair away from your face and secure them farther back.

5. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I just found the PERFECT way to do the Elizabeth Swann PotC hairstyle!! You pull your hair back into a half up style and twist it lightly and wrap it around in a small bun and pin it in. Then you run you fingers through your hair before the bun and pull up a little to make the "bump" part and pin that part in the way you think is right. And curl the rest. It's beautiful! :D

6. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    I was actually looking for something else, but from the May 10, 2002 "Steal This Look" in InStyle, Padme's hairstyle for the Naboo nightgown and robe:

"[Hairstylist Sue] Love wanted to achieve a 'romantic, gypsy' look. So after Portman?s just-shampooed hair had dried naturally, Love added waist-length extensions to the actress?s shoulder-length strands and set half-inch sections in heated rubber rollers for 15 minutes. She skipped brushing the hair in order to keep the ringlets intact. To open up Portman?s face she swept back side sections above the ears and secured them with tortoisehell hairpins."

7. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    For the padmé naboo night gown hairstyle, would you just take some hair, pull it back, and pin it in? How far back would you go?

thanks! :)

~Spacelady~

Edit: I just read that post, but without the tortoisehell hairpins. :p

8. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Forget that one, but how about the Coruscant Night gown? I can't see it clearly enough.

9. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Spacelady From what I can tell it looks a lot like the Naboo Nightgown hairstyle. After you curl your hair take a bit of your hair in front and pull it back from you face, lightly twisting it. Then pin both twist to the back of your head and pile the ends in kind of a bun pining it place.

10. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Thank you! I'm going to try it right now! :D

11. xoxoSpaceladyoxox

xoxoSpaceladyoxox Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2004
    What would be the cutest hairstyle for Valentines Day? :D

12. xoxoSpaceladyoxox

Feb 6, 2004
  13. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    The cutest style for Valentine's Day depends a) on what you're wearing, and b) on what type of hair (long, short, curly, etc.) and face shape you have. What looks cute on one person won't always on another.

14. xoxoSpaceladyoxox

Feb 6, 2004
    Nm, it's too hard for me to find out what I'm wearing, let alone hairstyle... :p

T A! :D

15. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Have any of you seen the Mummy? or the Mummy Returns? One of the girls has black hair but she also has gold in it too, how would you do that? Thanx

Here's a pic, it's not good but it's something:

http://www.mummyvideo.com/images/photo6.jpg

16. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    It's probably beads, some sort of headdress.

17. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Oh I never thought of beads!! :eek: :D

Thanx! :)

18. Tinuvel

Tinuvel Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2004
    okay...I figued out how to do the Arwen dream dress hair.
    Ready~
    1. after showering let ur hair dry naturally unless ur hair drys strait even when dried w/o blow dryer, in that case, use a waver from any store( do not brush hair)
    2. When completely dry, part ur hair in the middle
    3. pull hair on both sides to the crown of ur head, make sure it is very loose so that the curls stay in
    4. pin w/ regular bobby pins close togther and leave hair a little messy... play around bit.

i love Orlando bloom,
    Tinuvel

19. rvqavalon

Jul 24, 2002
    Awesome instructions, Tinuvel. I did this hairstyle with a side part (to line up with that annoying cowlick in my bangs) for homecoming. I did pretty much that, except that I made a small ponytail at the crown of my head first to give the bobby pins something to hang onto. My hair is long, uncooperative, and heavy, so that helped it to stay up. The hair pinned around it hid the ponytail later on, and I also ended up pulling hai from farther down on my hairline (like, behind my ears)and pinned them underneath the ponytail in order to get the sides up like Arwen's. Also, I used in sponge rollers instead of using a heat tool, since my hair is extremely stubborn about curling. Just brush in a little bit of gel while it's damp and roll it.

:) Just my $0.02 for the record.

20. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I know that we already have the Leia hoth hairstyle help posted but I wanted everyone else to try my idea.. :)

What you do:

Part you hair down the middle (Or to the side.) Take the hair from your forehead to your ear, braide that section. Do that on the same side. Part your hair in half on the back, and braide those two sections. Leave the two front ones thicker than the other two. Take the back section and bring it foreward pin it as you go. It should end on the top of you head and in the middle of it as well. Do that to the other side. Take the one in front and bring it back, pin it in. Do the same to the other one. Once you have both of them pinned, unpin one of them and wrap it in a circle and pin it again. Do the same for the other side.

I just did that and I think that it's pretty close to Leia's hairstyle. Yay! :D

21. Tinuvel

Tinuvel Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2004
    Hey again every1!!!
    I wanted to know if anyone knows how to do the braids Arwen wears in the "Flight to the Ford" scene in FOTR?
    If so, pleases write back!

~Tinuvel Bloom!!! (lol)

PS: Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo!
    If u speak Quenya answer back to what i just wrote

22. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Hi!

Here's a link to show you! I used it a lot of times!! :D

wwdreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/legolas.htm

Do the smae thing but take three parts for the top and don't do the braid by the ears. I hope that helps! :)

Here's the Arwen Helm's deep hairstyle:

http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/Arwen.htm

Btw~I speak elvish but I don't understand that part.. lol

Ae ú-esteliach nad... estielio han. Estelio nîn :D [face_plain]

:p

23. Tinuvel

Tinuvel Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2004
    Hey, thanks...that site really helped...
    i found out that the braid i wanted was called- herringbone, i learned how to do one too.

~tinuvel
    by the way, i think that ur speaking a different form of elvish...what u said doesn't exist in Quenya...maybe ur speaking Sindarin?

:)
    thanks again, bye!!!

24. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    For Lord of the Rings, when you braid your hair, how the heck are you supposed to hold the braids?! My hair is a light brown and if I put clear rubber bands in, they still show.

And for you, Tinuvel. Anar caluva tielyanna :D

~Spacelady

25. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    *find a hairband that matches your haircolor

*pull a small piece of hair out of the braid and wrap it around the hairband to disguise it

*buy fake hair that matches your hair and use it to cover a hairband

Bobby pins may assist you in this endeavor . . . or not. It's really hard to tell if they'll stay that close to the end. They do in mine, but not my best friend, so just experiment, I guess . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.