main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    And for some more inspriation of how wigs and hairstyles can make the costume,
    check out http://kellilla.com/me/costuming/kelldex.html
    I was marvling at the wonderful assorment of costumes that Kell has, as well as her extensive use of wigs and tricky hairstyles.

2. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    That's a quandry!
    It can be very difficult to pull off a natural look with a full wig styled to be pulled back. The hairline always looks...odd. In addition, the wefts and rooted hairs are applied and stitched to fall in a certain direction, which is normally down.
    If you were insanely rich, I'd recommend a lace-front wig which is what fast-change shows like SNL use for realistic character hair changes...and, you know, they just look better. I have one, I love it, but I also paid an arm and a leg for it.
    I have alopecia, so insurance picked up a large hunk thankfully.

I don't know your natural hair color, but assuming it's not coal black, I'd go with a high-quality theatrical hair spray.
    I have heard spectacular things about the Kryolan's hair color spray, and Mehron makes a hair whitener.
    This page has a couple of options:
    http://www.alconeco.com/products/character/temporary_hair_color

If your hair's too short to pull back, consider extensions. The ebay seller Darcinut has alot of nice options. I'd personally go for the "pre-styled bun". It's even available in old lady colors!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-Styled-BUN-Delightful-Bubble-Color-Choice_W0QQitemZ6871669015QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60188QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Regardless of method, definitely go for the more accurate hair. It really makes the costume!

3. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006

4. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    When I was in Jack of All Trades we had prestyled 3/4 wigs that had our own hair set over to look like the entire wig was our own hair or a full hand knotted wig ;). It is possible to do something similar with a full wig, especially if you can do some internal tucks to make it fit better.

You need to leave a strip of hair between one and two inches wide from ear to ear and have the wig very securely put in place. We had four alternating french plaits going across our heads with the ends wrapped between. It works brilliantly *if* you get someone to do them firmly. If not you wind up needing to pin it too much and creating bumps with the hair pins. The hair was sprayed and pinned in place (using fine french pins) and then sprayed with colour. I had a huge blonde wig initially and then a dark chestnut.

[image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~thebruce/twobeauties.jpg]
    [image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~thebruce/jackpose.jpg]

My hair was considerably redder than in the wig so there was a fair amount of gold spray used!

5. a-tastic

Oct 7, 2005
    Holy cow! What? Like, the show?
    I loved that show...
    That means you've met The Campbell?
    You are my Heroine!

6. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the buns in padme's sleeveless mustafar costume? The rest of it is simple enough, and I would want to attach the buns seperately, but all the pictures I've seen (even the high def ones from padawan's guide) are totally indecipherable to me. Any suggestions?

7. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006

8. a-tastic

Oct 7, 2005
    How long is your natural hair, or are you going to use a wig?

Either way, if you're wanting to to the braided buns seperately, you can take the Leia bun route and make it smaller-- get some synthetic hair, braid it, then stitch it into a compact bun-like circle.
    Three toupee/wig clips stitched in at the top three edges should hold them into your own hair securely.
    or, there's always the pre-made buns. I put a link a couple posts above for the Jocasta Nu hairstyle.

If anything, the easiest way i've found to keep hairpieces attached to my head is through clips and combs. If you have thin or fine hair, use wig/toupee clips. If you have thicker hair, you may want to use standard hair combs.

9. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks for the help! Yeah, I'm using a wig, since I just turned myself into a blonde last week lol. So attaching the buns to the wig would use clips? I'm assuming bobby pins won't work...

10. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Leia's buns are twisted not braided. I don't know why people insisted on braiding the buns, they look terrible braided, IMO!

[image=http://www.blastylava.com/Gallery/costume_reference/LeiaSenatorial/images/1120.jpg]

[image=http://www.blastylava.com/Gallery/costume_reference/LeiaSenatorial/images/1200.jpg]

11. a-tastic

Oct 7, 2005
    Bobby pins would work, but they're a bit of a nuisance. I think most people attach their "Leia"-style buns via bobby pins when they're using their natural hair, but, since you'd be braiding these to match Padme's, they'd become denser, and may possibly be easier to pin. They're also heavier.
    If you're able to find them, Scunci (I think that's their name?) has curved bobby pins. They grip fantastically!

If you want something quicker to affix, though, I'd go with the standard hairpiece combs, they seem to hold better with the synthetic fibers on certain wigs, especially if you tease the hair a wee bit before putting the comb on.

All in all, if you're planning on using a wig and having the buns detach, a wig head will make easy work of the styling o' the wig.

12. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Very good to know. Thank you! :)

Now just to find a beauty supply store that sells hair to match the wig I haven't recieved yet...[face_worried]

13. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    a-tastic: yep:) and yep:) In fact I got introduced to him one day, the AD then ran off.. I never saw him the rest of the day... And then had a scene explained to me. I honestly cannot recall the episode but I wound up semi-featuring. Well my bottom did. In an escape from the guards the Daring Dragoon made a few scenes in the marketplace. One of which involved him "goosing" a woman who would turn around spot the soldier behind her and slap him.
    Guess who was that woman;) My bottom got its own ECU and I am sure they used a really wide angle lense (the camera was no more than 2 inches away)which made it even bigger!

Anyway, I learnt a lot about construction for movie costumes from my time there (mind you they were made by the same people really as Xena et al.) They used a lot of historic costume information and good books (I know I saw pages from Corsets and Crinolines) but they adapted them a bit for film. Noone could tell my fabric was actually printed duck for instance;) A lot of that reversable two tone brocade was used for Angela Dotchins character as well as extras. That would have been 1999 and 2000 I suppose.

I remember watching some of the make up department knotting some facial hair pieces too.

14. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Question, does anyone know of a reliable source for good wigs that work for Padme? I need to find one that's more top of the line than I've seen.

15. a-tastic

Oct 7, 2005
    R.A.B.-- you may want to try my personal fave, www.onthetop.com (silly name, but they have awesome Red Tag clearance every once in a while. their normal prices aren't too bad, either...).

www.internationalwig.com is okay, too. they have a flat shipping fee, which is nice, but certain items are overpriced.

Cosworx.com is another option.

on eBay, the seller darcinut (wildcat wigs) has a good selection and service.

Chances are you want a long, straight wig?
    I've had a couple, and my favourite has been the New Look collection's 'Cher' wig. Linda XXL is great, too, but too layered to do Padme styling with.
    Another good brand is Troika/Forever Young. They have one of the most realistic non-lace/ monofilament hairlines I've ever seen on a wig-- their longest, straightest style is called 'Susan'. There's also 'Cosabella'. They're both layered, but do-able. Forever young wigs are normally made of Kanekalon fiber, but they do tend to be a bit thin.
    New Look is typically Elura fiber, which is extremely realistic, and less slick than other synthetic hair fiber. I find it much easier to style and hold pins.

And, last but not least on a 'pin' note, if you decide to style the wig instead, try attaching the buns on the inner side by running black garbage bag twisty-ties through and twisting them tightly. One on each edge holds stuff quite well....

Sorry for the novel!!

16. Lady_Skywalker13

Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    I took a look at the site that BurntTheMacaroni posted and I decided to try out a few hairsyles. I did bespin Leia and it looked really good, only I didn't take a pic!:oops: So I'll do it again and show you. I also post more as I try them out.

But here's a pic I did of Padme's mustafar hair. It was only my frist try. If I do it again, I'll work more on evening out the braid "buns" on the sides. But I thought y'all might wanna see what a bored girl with really long hair does!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes024a.jpg

17. Lady_Skywalker13

Oct 27, 2006
    As promised, I played with my hair some more today and came up with three more hairstyles. There's links to pictures for each one.

Ep.IV Leia
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes034.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes033.jpg

Ceremonial Leia
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes035.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes036.jpg

Bespin Leia
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes038.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes037.jpg

I still want to work on more Padme hairstyles. I tried the firside one, but I need help with it. These aren't too great either, they're only first try attempts, but you get the idea.

18. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
  19. a-tastic

Oct 7, 2005
    I have that same Indy poster!
    Hee hee. 2008: IV...I can't wait!

Those look fantastic-- I love, love, love your hair!! It's goregeous, in addition to the stylin' versatility!

20. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    THANK YOU! Oh wow, that's PERFECT, and knowing that it's a reliable wig is way, way cool. (Muahaha and I just got my paycheck! Need to pay for NY Comic con though...)

Oh and speaking of NY Comic Con...Lady_Skywalker13, you DO realize you're doing all of my Padme costume's haristyles for comic con, right? (Except for the lake dress hairstyle...god knows I'm not shelling out $60 to improve on an already unimproveable costume hahaha) And speaking of that, why were you playing with your hair when you're supposed to be working on YOUR lake dress hair? [face_shame_on_you]

:D Juust kidding.

21. Lady_Skywalker13

Oct 27, 2006
    Thanks guys! My mama and grandma are hairstylists, so I grew up with this stuff. I'd like to help if anyone has any questions.

a-tastic I just adore Indy! I'm making a Marion Ravenwood for the premier of Indy IV!!

Barbie Suer I'll do your hair there! For the lake dress hair, I need someone to wear the wig before I can work more on it. I'll post pix of it when I'm done!

22. Lady_Skywalker13

Oct 27, 2006
    Well, I finished the lake dress wig today. It looks really messy. I need to play with it a bit to try to smooth it out. It also, keeps slipping off my head, but here it is as of now:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/costumes045-1.jpg

23. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    I need some advice on my Padme Loyalist costume hair. I have a completed headdress that attaches to my hair with two combs sewn to the inside. However, I generally like to dye my hair but the color of the headdress hair is matched to (nearly) my natural color. I was wondering if there was any chance that I could anchor the headdress to a wig? I'm guessing that this probably won't work as the headdress is quite heavy and has to be very securely anchored. If anyone has advice or ideas I would appreciate some help.
    I just don't like not being able to dye my hair because of a costume a wear 2-3 times a year.

Here's a photo of my headdress

24. a-tastic

Oct 7, 2005
    I have this insane habit of attaching everything that dosen't feel too secure on my head (which, thanks to my dreadfully thin and fine hair is, well, everything)on to a headband with gripper nubs on the scalp-facing side.

The headband obsession also translates onto wigs, as well.
    In fact, I've found that it works even better with wigs in my case, because it helps 'hold' the wig onto my head.
    Often, external attachments on a wig will pull the wig down in the direction of the weight it's holding up, making it a nightmare to keep the wig on without constant fiddling-with-- no matter how many bobby pins you have.
    The headband sort of balances out the weight and secures it. For the most part, they can be made invisible, too.
    I used a headband on my Pre-Senate Amidala headdress. I can do everything short of a somersault in that thing before it even budges off of my skull.

Theoretically, I think this would work on your awesome headpiece. Since Natalie's hair was pretty much tucked up under the original headdress, as if it were a giant 3/4 wig, I'd say a basic, short wig would work wonders.
    It's a nuisance to find wigs with the ability to look natural brushed back at the forehead, don't cost an arm and a leg, or aren't lace-front, but I've run across a few like:

http://www.onthetop.com/wigpage.asp/category_Forever+Young/productid_Celeb+Trend/

Not the best, by any means, but defnitely do-able.

I remember your gown from Dragon*Con! It was goregeous!! :D

25. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Thanks! I think that might work. I also don't like to drive several hours to a RL event then try to whip my hair into submission in 10 minutes, so I like the idea of a wig. But yes, I think the headdress absolutely has to anchor into my real hair to stay on! I'll look around for a short wig, hopefully it wont cost me too much.

I remember you from D*Con! I was sitting behind you eyeing up your headdress!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.