main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    If anybody is looking for the Padme rainbow hair tutorial, I noticed that the link a page or so up is broken.

This site has the Padme poncho dress hair, Leia's Bespin hairstyle, plus how to do the rainbow dress style.

Padme hair tutorial

2. CreedsGalBirdy

CreedsGalBirdy Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I'm still researching the Leia Buns hairstyle from ANH but I was wondering if anyone here has done or knows someone who would help with questions about clip-on buns? I've seen it mentioned around that some people use clip-ons that they've made and I was just curious as to HOW they were made. A lot of the on-line tutorials seem to be based on someone who already has long hair...and while I do have long hair, it's fine and slips from buns very easily unless it's semi-damp. I've purchased some of the synthetic hair that's mentioned at The Padawan's Guide and I'll be playing with it this weekend...but I was just looking for some other ideas I can take into account when experimenting.

Any help is appreciated.

dani

3. CreedsGalBirdy

May 12, 2005
    bump.

Anyone?

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Sorry, can't help you much at the moment; I'm another one of those with hip-length hair. Although I am experimenting with adding in fake hair to achieve the same size fullness hers have. I'll let you know how those work out.

5. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I use the puffy loose extensions for my buns. I've been doing that for 4 years, so it is really easy at this point.

I know of two Leia costumers who made buns that are pinned on. I believe they sewed them onto a fabric base. I'm not really sure, but the results they both achieved is great. :)

6. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I have a short description of how I made my fake Leia buns at my website, here: http://queenc.com/leiasenatorial/construction.html

My buns were too big (tee hee), but the principle still holds, I think.

7. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I've cheated a little, I got sick of wearing my wig, which I constructed pretty simply out of an existing Princess Leia wig and hair extensions. I grabbed a pair of scissors and snipped them off. Then I glared at a couple of photos in which you can see the silver clip they used to pin Carrie's hair and I'm pretty show it had a comb as well.

* Here's a pic of it flying up, <funny picture too. :D And it explains why her bun twists differently by the time her and Luke "swing to freedom.">:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/anh-bts07.jpg]

And at the top of her bun here you can see the silver clip:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/2anh14.jpg] *

I then <very carefully,> looped a silver clip through the middle and affixed it with a little glue, then I placed a comb almost at the top to make sure it's secure. Then I just make my hair into little buns on either side of my head, (if you have short hair obviously it's going to be easier,) and tuck them out of sight into the hair extensions. If they're still a little wobbly have a few bobby-pins handy.

I'll post some pictures soon to show the results.

8. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Hey there I'm doing a Jedi/Sith kind of costume and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair. In the past, I've done two braids above my ears, and looped the braids back up.. but it's getting to be so long that the braids are brushing my shoulders and it doesn't look as good as it used to.

So does anyone have suggestions for unique hairstyles that can be done with waist length hair?

9. CreedsGalBirdy

May 12, 2005
    Thanks to all for the info. I've tried working with the bulk hair and it's not as easy as one might think. I'm going to try with the drawstring ponytails and see if that doesn't work out better for the Leia buns.

dani

10. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Darth Tofu:

I can figure out how to do almost anything I can see a picture of. Making up something from scratch is a little harder.

How do you think a female Sith might want to wear their hair? With all the Sithly things they are into -- lightsaber fighting and the like -- I imagine they'd want something practical. "Practical" usually doesn't make for a very striking hairstyle visually. Practical is easy for the character to do and doesn't get in her way.

Unless ... perhaps your Sith has to appear in public in some striking outfit for some reason?

What does your outfit look like? Maybe we can get some ideas from that.

11. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Please help.
    I can't find brown long hair extensions at any Sally Hansons around me that are less than $30-$60 per package and I think I would need about 6 packages of those to make my Bespin Leia braids.

Does anyone know of a good online store or a chain that I could get hair from at a reasonable price?

12. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    How do you think a female Sith might want to wear their hair? With all the Sithly things they are into -- lightsaber fighting and the like -- I imagine they'd want something practical. "Practical" usually doesn't make for a very striking hairstyle visually. Practical is easy for the character to do and doesn't get in her way.

Unless ... perhaps your Sith has to appear in public in some striking outfit for some reason?

Then again, we always see poor Padmé run around battlefields with fancy hairstyles. I know that's a weird comparison, but when I think of Sith women, I see hairstyles from the Coruscant bar scene, in Attack of the Clones, you know how some are twisted all weirdly, or braided. I don't have any pictures to show examples of. [face_blush]

~Spacelady

13. CreedsGalBirdy

May 12, 2005
    I got some of the bulky kinky hair from DoctoredLocks.com for about $3 a pack. Unless you're looking for the stuff that already has a weft....eBay might be an option.

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow! That's really helpful. Thanks! :D
    Which color did you use (if you remember)? Chestnut (06)? Dark Brown (04)?
    Their color chart is here: http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/colorchart/index.html

15. CreedsGalBirdy

May 12, 2005
    I went with color 6, but it was too dark for me as I wanted to match my hair color...which is more of a light/medium auburn. I'll try to post a pic later today, just to give you an idea.

dani

16. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks for that confirmation.
    I did go with the Chestnut. I have blonde hair, so I'll be using the colored mousse that washes out. So whatever color the hair is, I'll buy mousse to match.
    Kinda the nice thing about the blonde hair. ;)

17. LLL

Jul 16, 2000

I know!

That SO irks me. I used to work 13 hour shifts in an animal emergency room ... lots of activity, no real breaks, standing on my head to reach into cages, dogs who wanted to chew on your hair. It's so unreal to wear a big, stiff, unreal style into a situation like this or worse. Yeah, it looks pretty, but no one in real life would do that.

*sigh* Hollywood ... [face_shame_on_you]

Sorry been gone so long ... my computer died and I had to get a new one.

Did you ever figure anything out? How long is your hair? What is your costume like?

18. Padme_Nebarrie2

Padme_Nebarrie2 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2007
    I have ridiculously fine hair that won't hold volume for anything! Not only that but, it takes a very long time to grow. I stopped cutting it two years ago and it was by my ears. Now it's barely touching the top of my shoulders.

It doesn't help that I love the hairstyle they used for both Padme's blue smock on the veranda in Episode II and the Blue Tatooine Poncho. So my question is, how in the world do you take stick straight, very fine/thin hair and make it look like Padme's looser hairstyles? All the tutorials and posts I've read have been for thick hair. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

I know a big part of it is extensions. At this point I definitely can't afford the full on ones. (Though how long do they last?) However, I did decide to try one of those clip-on hairstyles. Surprisingly it worked really well! If you go to Sally's Beauty Supply and get the Revlon series clip-on extension, it has very similar curls as Padme.

Here's my normal hair and look...(and yes, I'm wearing half of a stormtrooper costume :) )

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/The_Advent_Child/Star%20Wars/n516118661_65649_9077.jpg

Here's with the clip-on....

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/The_Advent_Child/Star%20Wars/n516118661_161778_9583.jpg

19. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I have been looking for a Padme AOTC wig. Try this one: http://www.internationalwig.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2076

Padme's hair color is a 4 while Leia is a 6/8 depending on the color. One way is to use a 3/4 wig and just curl the front of you hair with a curling iron and use lots of product(hairspray, mousse). For those kind of curls, I really think a wig is the way to go and that wig comes in a variety of colors plus the synthetic hair is good quality as I have used wigs made by that brand before. I also liked how that wig has curls all the way to the top, very similar to Padme's style for the blue smocked robe and Tatooine Poncho. Not to mention, Padme seemed to be loving the spiral curls as she has them in both AOTC and ROTS(no regular curls for her, [face_laugh] ) Hope that helps :D

20. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

JediMaraJadeSkyMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2007
    I have hair that is almost past by rear, which means I sit on it sometimes. I have pics of some things I've done with my hair. Some you can see here on my MySpace page: www.myspace.com/JediMasterMaraJadeSkywalker
    Go to the album "The Real Me" and you'll see some of my cosutmes (which I'm in the process of updating) and hair styles and make-up. The jedi costume has the best pics of a few pieces that I used in one hairstyle. It's very Jedi i think, and so does the Jedi Assembly. Which I am currently a member of!

There's also are two great hair supply stores that have hair pieces (clips and combs and combs with wired pieces), extensions (weft and non weft), and loose hair for you to work with. I'f anyone would like me to buy some fo them, you can let me know what you want and I'll get it for you, PM me for what you'd like and I'll tell you how to get the money to me.

21. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I clicked your link, and this is what I got:

Invalid Friend ID.
    This user has either cancelled their membership, or their account has been deleted.

:(

22. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

Jul 17, 2007
    Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but that is a very strange occurance!! I'll have to look into that! Try searching for me by my e-mail, I don't mind you guys having it! It's MasterMJSkywalker@yahoo.com that should work that'a way! Lemme know if it doesn't, then I'll know something's wrong with MySpace!!! Stupid Tom!

23. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Well I can find your page now but I can't find the link to hit to see your album.

24. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  25. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks, Rachel!! Hope it helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.