main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Solari_Wielder-

-Solari_Wielder- Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2007
    Ahhrg! *bangs head against computer desk* :_|

Alright, its about five days till Halloween, and I'm freaking out over here because I can't do a Padme AOTC Battle Arena hairstyle! I've got the costume and everything, now the last piece is the hair. I can't use my hair because its not long enough to really work (about the middle of my back) so I went out and bought a bunch of stuff to make a hair piece. My problems:

1. How do you get the hair to stay once you wind it around the bendy foam tubes?
    2. Whats the best way to do this hairstyle period?

Thanks for any and all help everyone. [face_worried]

2. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I posted how I made my hairpiece over here:

http://angelsofiego.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=67a59cba588e6100bbe6645aad0e8e37

3. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

JediMaraJadeSkyMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2007
    If you're using faux hair to wrap around the foam tubes, try using nylon thread and wrap it tightly around the bottom of them. You can also use a thin needle, yet one sturdy enough to go through the foam, and stitch the hair to the tube. Hope this helps!!

4. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    So how'd it work? I've never tried that one.

5. -Solari_Wielder-

-Solari_Wielder- Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2007
    [face_dancing] Thank you all sooo much for your help! You guys are amazing, really. And I'm sorry I haven't posted this sooner, I've been tied down with school work... *grr*

Ok, os here's what I did for the Padme Amidala Arena hair piece. I had bought a bunch of real human hair 13 inch extensions at Sallys along with the foam tube thingys and a bunch of those tiny rubber bands. I thought human hair might be a bit more soft and flexible when I wrapped it around the tube....well. :_| Boy was I wrong. The hair wouldn't stay wound, no matter how much nylon thread, glue, tape, rubber bands, clips and anything else you use to bind things, no matter what I did to it. Needless to say, I was mad, and lost, and had no idea what do to next. Trying to find an answer, I dug through my closet until I found one of my old, licensed Princess Leia wigs you can get at Rubies stuffed under a box (because, lets face it, the wig looked horrible). Thats when I got an idea. I snatched up my scissors, unrolled each 'bun' and chopped it off the wig. Then, I separated little parts of the gathered hair into sections, and went to work. I started at one end of the tube, winding up until all the hair covered the tube, then secured each end with one of those mini rubber bands I had bought. I was soo excited. The hair was much much darker than my hair color, but it was working, and thats all I cared about. It was my first time making this hairpiece, and it was working! I ended up using a combination of these dark, stiff plastic tubes with holes in either end that you would secure together, and a bunch of pipe cleaners rolled together. The plastic tubes looked like circles when you hooked them together, and the pipe cleaners you could take and bend any which way, which was nice. Here is a picture of the finished piece. Again, its not great, but it worked when your out in the dark Trick-Or-Treating [face_pumpkin]:

[image=http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa265/Force-Wielder-Solari/11-2-2007-10.jpg]

[image=http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa265/Force-Wielder-Solari/11-2-2007-07.jpg]

[image=http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa265/Force-Wielder-Solari/Halloween2007012.jpg]

[image=http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa265/Force-Wielder-Solari/Halloween2007011.jpg]

It was my first time with this costume too. Anyway, how I got the tubes to stay in my hair: First, I separated my hair into two halves, one section on top, the other on the bottom. I rubber banded the bottom half into a ponytail, then did the same with the top half. Then, I rubber banded both sections together, and there was this small space in the middle into which I threaded through the tubes for my hair piece. I hooked them together, and hid the rubber banded parts in the small space. Then, I used my pipe cleaner hair pieces to arrange on top and thread through the different sections, affectively hiding the space and rubber bands.

Well, that was a Death Star sized post, sorry guys :D But thank you again for all your help and ideas. :)

6. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

JediMaraJadeSkyMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2007
    Looks great!! As does your costume!!

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Unlocked by user request.

8. rehtul-minnau

rehtul-minnau Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2010
    I don't know if anyone even uses this thread anymore, but I shall post anyway, in hopes that someone might find this useful.

I wanted to find a way to recreate the Padme Geonosis hairstyle, but fake hair and things of that sort were, unfortunately, unavailable to me, so I was forced to do it a different way than the ways that where posted before. Here's how to do it:

Part your hair straight down the middle and then pull it all back into a ponytail, securing it with a ponytail holder (what exactly does one call those things?).
    Then grab a small piece of hair from the bottom of the ponytail and braid it. Make sure to braid it tightly and close to the ponytail holder, otherwise it will look wrong when you're finished. Then pull the braid to the top of the ponytail (or the side, depending on how long your hair is) and pin it using one pin, with the pin being in between your head and the ponytail holder. Put another pin in to hold it in better. (Don't worry about the "tails" of the braids - you'll deal with them later; if you try to pin it down now, you'll end up with a lot of pins sticking out everywhere.)
    The loop should not be too big, or it will, again, look wrong. My hair is nearly to my waist, so I ended up having to pin the braid twice - once in the middle, and then again at the end.
    Grab another piece of hair from the bottom of the ponytail and braid it, then pin it as you did with the first one, but use only one pin. Don't loop it in the same place as the last one; put it on the other side or across the middle; if you put it across the middle - as you should with a lot of the braids - make sure it's not too lose, or it will simply fall over.
    Continue to braid and pin in this fashion, arranging the braids to imitate the loopy way Padme's hair is in the movie. After you finish braiding and pinning, pin down all the loose ends.

It took me a few times to make it look perfect, but the final thing looked very close to the original; plus, it only takes about ten to fifteen minutes to do once you get the idea, so it is a very convenient hairstyle, time-wise.
    I hope that helps someone! :)

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    got pics?

10. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    Most certainly! It may take some time - I have to find them first!

11. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    Hmmm....it may take more time than I thought - my pictures seem to have disappeared. :_|

12. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    Sorry that took so long; I had to take new pictures. [face_frustrated] These where quickly put up (about seven minutes, if I recall correctly), so they are far from the best version of this I have ever done - but they should give you the basic idea of what it should look like.

[image=http://i.imgur.com/MxFlj.jpg]
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/O1vlM.jpg]
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/eu2EB.jpg]

Something I forgot to mention before: try to pin the braids in as close to the ponytail holder as possible. And you might want to play around with the size of the braids; I think they may be a little too small in these pictures.
    :)

13. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    Also, I've seen several links brought together on ThePadawansguide.com... She has some really great links, and other information about sewing in the Galaxy Far, Far, away...

[face_flag] God Bless the USA, and the Galaxy Far, Far away...

14. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    this site has some good ideas on how to do lots of movie hairstyles, not just star wars...

Here

hope i helped!

Arica

God Bless the USA[face_flag] and a Galaxy far far away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.