main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Chunks or small sections of your hair. When you twist each section, it will coil up and you can pin it to the back of your head. (Make a ponytail first, though, then start twisting sections.)

2. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    translation...
    small pieces of long hairs

THat hairstyle is mainly a low ponytail where all of the strands are separated and twisted like the pieces in the corset outfit. the ends can be secured with pins.

3. pruestars1

pruestars1 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Thanks!!! Does anybody know other kewl( EASY) hairstyles??? I'm completely out of inspiration!

4. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Wow, you all have such amazing ideas for hair styles! I really wish I had access to some of the things you all talk about, but so far, I think I've done okay with copying Amidala's hairstyles. :)

For my grade 8 grad, I had my hair done like Padme's when she first met Anakin, with the amazing guidence of a helpful hairdresser, having exceptionally thick and long hair, and the Padme action figure. :) It was really amazing. I have to see if I can find a good picture again, so I can put some instructions up, cause you probably wouldn't need extensions or whatever, unless you have really short hair. :)

5. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Okay ladies, I need some help. I used foam rollers for the hairstyle used in Padme's blue tatooine costume. The curls looked absolutely wonderful, but I had a problem keeping my hair up. I tried to first pin my hair back and then I used combs. Problem is that my hair wouldn't stay. It's incredibly thicky and heavy. Does anyone have any thoughts about how I could keep this hairstyle in place.

6. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    When you used combs, did you do the "twist-and-jam" thing usually recommended on the back of the package? If you didn't, try that. If that doesn't help, combs usually don't stay very long in my hair, either.

One option would be to find two small barrettes--close to the color of your hair if it's dark, or gold if it's blonde--and use those to hold it back, one on each side. If you pull back just a slender section from your part to your ear it should stay in the barrette fairly well yet still be back away from your face.

7. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Sp-I tried a number of things with the combs, but they refused to stay in. I also tried the twist and jam. I'll have to try the hairstyle with the barrettes. I'll get back to you once I've had a chance to try it. Thanks :)

8. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Amidala-Leia, how did it work with the barrettes?

9. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Haven't tried it yet. I've been rather busy and haven't had time to play around with my hair. But I watched the movie again and I noticed something about the hairstyle. It looks as if both sides and very loosely twisted and brought all the way to the back of the head and clipped there. I'm going to try that sometime this week.

10. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Well, I did the hair style for the rainbow dress when I went to Celebration 2 and it didn't fall down all day! I thought I'd tell everyone how I did it in case anyone else is trying to do this one.

I did a french pleat with my hair, I got the instructions from a hair book, but I changed the bottom a little bit so it curled under like Padme's.

To do the french pleat you are supposed to back comb your hair to give it volume enough to do the style, but I have really long hair, so I didn't have to. But anyway, first you smooth your hair across the center back and form the center of the pleat by criss-crossing hair grips (bobby pins) in a row from the crown downwards.

Gently smooth your hair around from the other side, leaving the front section free and tuck the ends under.

Secure with pins, then lightly comb the front section up and around to merge with the top of the pleat, mist with hair spray to hold.

For the blue bands over the hair I cover pipe cleaners with left over material from the back of the dress and then used paint to put the dots on the fabric, then I bent the pipe cleaners around my hair and pinned them on underneath.

Ok I hope that made sense, and is maybe helpful to someone. :)

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Cool. Do you have any pictures of it?

Well I know I've talked about this before, making a web page all about hair styles in the sw galaxy. Now I have the time and the web space to do it :) Now I just need a TON of pictures of all the different hair styles that Padme, Leia and even the guys' hair. If you want you can e-mail them to me at: empress_thalia@hotmail.com Don't worry about the file size make them as big as you want.

Also does anyone know of any sites or books that give instructions on how to make hairpieces? Or sites that sell supplies for this?

You can look for it at www.rmff.net/costumes/

It will be quite awhile before it's done, but eventually I'll have it up :)

12. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Now that is a good idea. :) I'm going to try to get with LLL at DragonCon this year to do some hair tutorials, but I hadn't thought of doing a site like that. That definately will be a big help to everyone here.

13. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Nobody has done it yet, and the styles are just so different it will definetly be a challenge :)

14. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Hey, really cool suggestions by everyone! I especially liked the idea about the Bespin Braids--they've become my everyday hairdo!

Does anyone know how to do the hairdo that Padme has right at the very beginning of AOTC? It's when she's disguised as a pilot and from what I saw, there were many many little ponytails (or braids, as my friends insist) or something to the effect. Does anyone have pictures? Any help much appreciated!

I also read that various people are planning to put up sites detailing how to do hairdos...if anyone needs help, feel free to e-mail me--I'd love to help in any way possible! =)

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Here you go:

[image=http://padawansguide.com/padme/flightsuit/padme_flightsuit_promo2.jpg]

:)

16. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Obi-Dawn, where are you getting all the great promo pics of the costumes?
    From this pic anyway, it doesn't look like all braids, like the fake hair in the purple EpII basket headress, but it looks like they just wrapped those things around little strands-with just a small braid here and there mixed in-a very small one here and there. It reminds me of how embroidery floss is wrapped to keep it together...does anyone have good front and back pics of the Queen J headress and hair???
    Oh-and more on the purple dress basket headress...metal riveted together, and the tiny fake braids are atached inside. You should make it hollow, so your real hair in a bun can fit inside, as well as combs to anchor it-which is why her real hair is ratted and teased so heavily-to give thecombs something to really anchor into without sliding out.

17. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I looked very closely at the pilots costume at the beginning of the film and it almost looks like metal bands with some sort of design on them.

18. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    I really like her pilot hairstyle. It's going to be my Jedi hairstyle, if I ever get around to finishing my clothing. :)

Essentially it's just sections of hair (about 6) gathered into ponytails at her nape, and then refastened at several points farther down. I'd use those little ouchless ponytail holders. They're small, and won't get in the way of whatever covers it.

Where have I seen bands like that... You might be able to find silver beads with really wide diameters which would work for the bottom two bands, but I think they'd be hard to thread your hair through. Bead tubes, those really wide ones used in chunky gemstone necklaces, could possibly work, too. And Claire's or some other little boutique like that might have hair clasps that would work. I'll see if I can hunt up anything.

queenseamstress, so far the best pictures of the African-tribal basket hair-do I've seen are at The Padawan's Guide. Maggie's also got shots she took of the dress at CII.

19. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Good grief. You guys are geniuses, ya know? =) Great ideas on the pilot hairdo. I think I might try it sometime soon, doubt it'll be much good as an everyday do, though... *smile*

I might put pictures up if I do manage to do it, but only if you guys want to see. Thoughts?

20. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Of course we want to see! Especially if you find something really good to use for those silver pieces. :)

21. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Heh. Will try as soon as I get pesky homework out of the way...dang economics essays...

Some good ideas on the silver bits. I've got 2 ideas of my own so far:

1. Gunmetal coloured rubber bands. I've seen these before and while they're not completely authentic, maybe I'll string a silver bead onto each one or a silver piece/plate which would require some careful tying to make sure that the silver piece faces out...

2. I've seen little hair beads before--they're these little plastic 'beads' that open up and you can clip a little hair into them (not sure if I'm making much sense here...). I've seen them in neon coloured plastic for kids before, and I figure I could paint them silver ot something like that...of course, now that I'm looking for them, they'll magically disappear off the shelves of all stores, never ever to be seen again... =)

Any other suggestions?

22. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I know the kids hair things you are talking about. Check out Sally Beauty Supply also to see what they may have.
    Check out the jewelry and bead section of Hobby Lobby-I think I have seen metal pieces there that may work...but they would have to be used with hair strands that are going to be large enough so that they won't slip.
    As a last resort, you could even use anything like straws or anything tubular, and paint them and add little metal rivets as decorations...

23. Antigone_Maroon

Antigone_Maroon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Does anyone know of anything that I could do with thick fairly straight shoulder length hair? For most styles that I've tried my hair isn't quiet long enough and sometimes the thickness can cause problems too.

I'd be glad of any help what so ever.
    Vicki

24. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    You could do a young beru style easily. All hers is, is braided buns, three I think, on the sides and top of her head. I'll go look for a picture...

25. Antigone_Maroon

Antigone_Maroon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Thank you so much Jedi Girl of Corellia! That's great idea. You're an angel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.