main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antigone_Maroon

Antigone_Maroon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Thank you so much Jedi Girl of Corellia! That's great idea. You're an angel.

2. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Antigone_Maroon. You could also try the hairstyle from the Padme Blue Tatooine dress with the embroidery. I did that one rather easily and I have pretty thick hair.

3. Antigone_Maroon

May 27, 2002
    Thank you so much as well Amidala-Leia! I'll have a look around for some pictures now.

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Antigone_Maroon, there are pictures of Beru's hairstyle on page 3 of this thread. Another style you might be able to do is a crown braid. Very impressive looking, and looks neat when you weave ribbons and things in.

Pilot Hair Beads
    The only problem I can forsee with beads, with maybe the exception of the snap-on kind, is that it's going to be hard to get them around a thick section of hair. The largest hole-diameter I've seen on regular silver beads is 3mm, not nearly big enough for a thick section of hair to pass through. Something random that might work would be very small sized rings, like those big silver ones that cover half your finger. Where to find them in mass quantities, I have no idea! :)

5. Lil_Miss_Amidala

Lil_Miss_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Oh my goodness, I love that pilot hairstyle! I and so going to try that a couple times! As for the silver or metal or whatever, I think I'll just end up using tin foil and wrapping it around in the right parts... but thats just the lazy way to go. Although, it does look like tinfoil kinda if you're not looking for minor details. :D

OOH! Thanks for the directions for the Dutch Braid Crown thing! That is perfect! I'll be trying that one too! :)

6. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    While I'm thinking about it.... The site above that has the directions for the crown braid, DreamWeaverBraiding.com, has lots of different braid techniques described & illustrated, plus a huge gallery of what she's done. Great for ideas about what to do for custom-done outfits; there are a few pictures in the gallery that look similar to something Leia or young Beru would wear. For my senator's gown, if I ever get around to it, I want to try Italian hair taping like she shows.

7. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Oo... thanks for that link :)

8. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Queenseamstress: Alas, I now live in Singapore, where Sally Beauty Supply is nought but a dream for me...

I'm not so keen on beads and stuff because it means that I'll have to spend absolutely *ages* trying to fit my hair in, and because it's quite layered...well, I foresee a lot of screaming and cursing, let me put it that way...

I just took a much closer look at the photo and for an easier but less authentic look, I'm figuring on using silver coloured rubberbands for the top sections--those close to the nape of the neck. Then the silver beads or even more silver rubberbands for the bottom small sections.

My alternate, more elaborate plan is to use Sculpey to sculpt almost-cylindrical forms, then punch holes in the sides and string a rubberband through. This way, I'd be able to get more of the detail in too. I'll see. And hopefully, so will you guys! =)

9. Antigone_Maroon

May 27, 2002
    Thank you, thank you StormtrooperPrincess! The pictures are great and the link was amazing!

10. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    **thoroughly delighted** WOOHOOO!!! I bookmarked the Dreamweaver Braids site - what wonderful info!!! Going to try out new hairstyles now... :)

kreleia ^.^

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I love the pilot hairstyle too, it's my fave of all of hers.

I had a revelation: Silver metallic lace, sewn into tubes and cut to the right lengths?

12. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    To the girl who did the rainbow hairstyle ... I don't know WHAT you're talking about!

:confused:

Got any pics? Especially pics of the style in progress??

Folks trying to make the tiny hair bands for the pilot style ... ya gotta do something to make them stay in your hair. If they are smooth they will slide right out.

I'd put an elastic in then cover it with whatever you end up making.

13. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Oooo.... *laugh* A solution so simple, too! I bet starching the lace would help, possibly making it easier to keep pinned in place.

14. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Funny you should say...but I was browsing the household decorating part of Spotlight today and I saw silver elastic cord. At SG$1.29 a metre (somewhere about 70 American cents, I think), a definite snag! I'm going to make little elastic bands out of it to tie my hair with.

I've also got the hair beads that I wanted--right now they're black and white, so I'll try that before spraying them silver.

The idea about the silver lace is interesting too, maybe I'll try that later...

Oh, and I also went to the dreamweavers site--it's amazing! I was so inspired that I immediately tried the crown braid--and it worked! Definitely way cool...

15. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    Whenever you guys get the pilot beads put together could you please post some pics? I don't think the costume is in my future, but I absolutely love the hairstyle. :)

16. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Revelation: Instead of beads, why not "tail cuffs"? Someone replied to a post in my costume journal and provided this link: http://mystic-caravan.com/tailcuff.htm. There are several different designs other than the celtic one at the top, including a plain one. A little expensive for my tastes, but it's a possibility. (I'll probably just convince my boyfriend to teach me how to work with silver, and make my own. Someday.)

17. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I got one of those for graduation! Not the exact same kind as on that web site, but my friend got it for me when she was in New Mexico. Apparently an Native American Lady sells them on the side of the road. Sterling silver and turqoise. Very pretty. Alas it won't work for Padme's do tho. :p

18. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    I just tried a preliminary run of the Padme pilot hairdo...and I have to say I'm rather pleased.

I think my hair isn't as thick as whatever they put on Natalie Portman's head and I didn't bother with teasing it or anything, so there are definite ponytail divisions, but I think it looks okay.

The silver elastic cord worked very well, although I think I might make larger bands so I can wind them around the hair more times.

The hair beads also worked great, except that the black ones completely disappeared against my hair--I think I *will* spray them silver.

Once I get all that done (which will take quite some time--a very large load of German homework just came in last night, groan), I'll put up pictures and maybe a blow-by-blow if people are interested.

I really shouldn't be this excited, right? =)

19. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    It's okay to be this excited Paradoxigirl. I know I am :) I'm really glad that your idea worked out. Sorry about the German homework though. Schoolwork can tend to get in the way of what's really important ;) :p I have pretty thick hair so I'm thinking my natural hair will work pretty good with this style. Looking forward to seeing those pics :)

20. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    LLL: Sorry if I was confusing, about the rainbow dress hair style, I don't have a scanner, but when my friend gets back from vacation I'll try and borrow hers and post some pics.

21. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Do you mean a French twist?

Hmm, interesting. I'd like to see how it looked.

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I am very upset. I went to Sally's to get hair for a piece I am making for me and for the Amidala wig I'll be doing. But they didn't have my hair color! Errr... do you know if that stuff can be dyed with hair dye?

And I need all your opinions. In TPM when Padme is talking to Jar Jar about the inevitable war and Jar asks if the Gungans get pasted too... padme replies I hope not... wesa no going wit outa fight... wesa have a grande army! Yada yada yada... you know the scene. What color would you say Amidala's hair is there? Black? A very dark brown? I know most of her hair in the other costumes are very dark brown, but this looks almost totally black.

23. Verlaine

Verlaine Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    The thing is, the colour won't take if the material is plastic based; you could always dye your own hair to match, though (given that, um, there's a hair colour there that would do).

As for black versus dark brown; I checked that scene out, and I'm fairly sure it's just a really dark brown. That colour tends to look black when tied back or whatnot, and especially in a darker setting.

24. Antigone_Maroon

May 27, 2002
    Hey! I'm back again. I just thought I'd get back to you and say that I had great results last night at my best friend's Star Wars birthday party with "Beru" hair in Antigone Maroon dress and I'm very eager to try out the rest. Thanks once again.

25. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I'd also have to say that Padme's hair is also a very dark brown in the scene from TPM with Jar Jar. I don't think her hair has actually ever been black. I think that it's usually that very deep brown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.