main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side female jedi costume ideas

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedichic07, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    i'm not sure if this is addressed in another thread, if it is, please re-direct, surlygirlie!
    I want my aunt to make me a jedi costume, and i want one that expresses the female form a little more um...unmanly? Pretty?
    I want something you would easily recongnise as jedi- I know there were some in EPII that were definatly flattering to the female form but i'm not so sure I want a crop top look....or lots of layers..confusing, aren't I?
    Any ideas welcome..post here or PM me- thanks!!!!!!!

S_S edit: just unlocking :)

2. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    i thought about a female jedi for my fan film and wanted a slightly modified one for her.

here is what i thought might look good,

give the costume more of a skirt so when you twirl or some thing it will flow out all romanticly, thenmodify the sleeves to be i bit bigger.

but thats pretty much all i came up with so far.

you can try pleating the skirt part of your outer tunic also, but thats pretty time consuming.

3. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Have you looked at simplicity 5347? View C could easily be adapted to make feminine looking Jedi tunic.

http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5347/5347.jpg

The thing that seems to ruin the lines for women are the tabbards if they're cut straight. If you curve the tabbards as per the directions on Maggie's Padawan's Guide website, then that'll help feminize the outfit too.

http://www.padawansguide.com/gifs/diane_jedi2.jpg

That's assuming you'd want to try tabbards at all. :)

4. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    I am actually in the process of creating one myself! What my plan is/was to create a more fitted top, probably princess style, to the tunic while keeping the "skirt" part found on male tunics. I also removed the sleeves from the outer tunic and planned on creating the under tunic with the wide bell sleeves instead. My resolution to the tabbard problem was half-tabbards: they just hung from the belt down. This way you don't have to worry about the bunchy factor, but you still get the jedi look.

Here is a rough idea of what I am tring to accomplish:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blushing_flower2000/detail?.dir=b011&.dnm=cef9.jpg

The project has rather been put on hold because of my lack of experience in pattern drafting, and the lack of sucess I've had in dyeing the finished product, combined with the fact I've been away from home for the past 3 months. (No sewing machine! :( )

EDIT: ummmmm, just copy and paste that into your browser, caus I have no idea as to how to create a hyperlink

EDIT 2: apparently I do! well what do you know!

5. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    Thanks for the imput on this thus far- i love the sketch and the pattern has a line almost exactly as I was looking for...any ideas on a tank top- not a belly shirt style one- or a real clevage showing one- maybe I need to sketch something myself!
    Don't you hate it when your thoughts are ahead of your physical ablity to express an idea?

6. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm also doing a unique Jedi costume, and I loved this when I saw it in the pages of the Republic comic:

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/timbolton/tohnoimages/websize/tohno_02.jpg]

The bottom is actually a pair of very wide pants, but I'm making it into a pleated skirt instead. And this costume saves me the trouble of making multiple tunics and tabbards, as well as accentuating my waist. I think the artist was very clever and creative when he thought of this Jedi. ;)

7. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I've made a Jedi costume that works nicely for me. It's very simple, and didn't need much adjustment to use the same sort of pattern for my husband and son. And on me, it's obvious that I'm a woman. :D

I just did a quick drawing of it in Paint for the purpose of showing. Please excuse the poor quality of the drawing. If I believed myself to be an artist, I'd be posting in the Fan Art forum. ;)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/MarnaVeign/Jedioutfit.jpg]

This is basically it. I created it freehand and using the person it was made for as a 'dummy' to fit it right. Just add this to a pant/shirt outfit, or skirt if you wish. I also use black boots and have a cloak to finish it off. May not work for many, but it does for me. :D

8. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    <i>Don't you hate it when your thoughts are ahead of your physical ablity to express an idea?</i>

YES! I am a horrible artist. In order to make that sketch, I had to search the internet for a blank template of a femal body that I could print off and trace over to add clothes too. It was quite the ordeal. Here is the website I finally used:

http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heromachine/classic.asp

Click either "fantasy" "superhero" or "sports" and keep following the links till you get a blank picture. You can eiter attempt to decorate it in there, or just print out a blank one and trace away!

9. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    thats a pretty sweet site. I played with it for awhile and came up with a jedi/xena charactature... hehehe with pigtails of course.

My friend was telling me last night to make a female jedi-since I made a randow female sith last year.

10. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    I played with the site too..fun!
    I think I will try to show her a rough sketch ~ a loose pant/skirt style with a tighter wrap top~ not sure on the belt style~ if it comes out good, i'll try to post my idea!
    I wish there were full body pics of the female jedi in the arena battle.....

11. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    I concur with the disappointment on the lack of full Female Jedi shots...

What I did is I pause/fast-forward played that scene in the dvd to get the best look at the costumes as I could. I don't know if that'll help you at all.

Can't wait to see your sketch!

12. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I've always liked Jedi Master Fay's costume from the comics:

Jedi Master Fay

She's a Jedi and and elf. How cool is that! :cool:

13. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Taking a cue from Jocasta Nu, I've made standard Jedi tunics but with longer tabbards that I wear over a full, floor length brown skirt. I wear the standard utility belt over it.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I really like Barriss and Shaak Ti's costumes, with a tighter bodice and then a full flowing skirt. If I was ever to make a jedi costume it would be a mix, with Barriss' bodice, Ti's skirt and then the tabars and wrist guards from Luminara Unduli.

15. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Finally got around to doing some concept sketches for a custom Jedi for a friend, and learning how to use the new scanner. The idea is for a Jedi Healer. In the Jedi Apprentice series, there is mention of Jedi Healers typically wearing blue tunics.

Here is the idea to which I referred earlier of standard tunics with a long, full skirt....

[image=http://images8.fotki.com/v132/photos/4/42813/792776/jedihealersm-vi.jpg]

[image=http://images8.fotki.com/v132/photos/4/42813/792776/jedihealer2sm-vi.jpg]

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    This is a great thread. My girlfriend wants a Jedi costume but is unhappy the way a standard jedi outfit lessens her femine features.

17. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    Nice sketches! I recognize that form from somewhere ;) I've always liked the skirt idea but I've wondered...how do Shaak Ti and the like fight in them? Tell me long fabric hanging around your legs doesn't affect your mobility. I guess if you made it wide enough....its not like she's doing full out sparring, it's closer to fencing.....hmmm, thoughts to ponder

18. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Thanks, yes I got the female form from that avatar builder you posted! Great idea.

One would think the long skirt would be an impediment to foot combat. Maybe it's a Jedi thing? :)

19. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    I would check out the movie "Hero" theres some cool outfits that some of the women wear.

20. BespinBelle

BespinBelle Jedi Master star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    I recommend Hero as well. Just be warned - it may send you into a fabric frenzy. =P~ I was thinking about doing a Bariss-inspired costume in a more earthy color, but I'm now thinking of doing a very long, flowy outer tunic similar to Flying Snow's (but with smaller sleeves). I think it would work with either a long skirt or tight leggings underneath, depending on your preference. Still not sure what to do about the inner tunic or tabbards, though. Like others, I just don't like the way tabbards lay on me. I've been thinking that contrast stitching/embroidery/other decoration of the outer tunic along the area where tabbards would usually lay might be a good alternative to get the more "traditional" look.

Hmmm... I see the beginnings of a full female jedi wardrobe...

21. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    wow..you guys are great.. I have so many ideas now!
    (guessing I should rent hero..or is it not out yet?)

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Hero just came out on DVD last week, so it should be available to rent. :)

I mentioned in another thread that I thought something slightly corset-y (but with flexible boning like spiral steel) might be a good, feminine substitute for a regular jedi obi. I'm still toying with that idea, and since I recently donated my original jedi costume, I'm edging slightly closer to thinking seriously about making a new one. :p

23. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I like the design that The Pariah posted from the comics as well as the design for Fay's costume posted by Jade-Walker. (Are both Fay or just both female jedi with similar outfits?) Regardless, I'd have to say that is a great way to go. Recognizably jedi, but also feminine.

24. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Nope, Fay is Fay and my Jedi is a young girl named Tohno. ;) I also love the addition of jewelry to Tohno's costume (she wears a silver chain across her forehead with dangling green stones).

25. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    The addition of feminine accessories can be a great way to distinguish the female Jedi from the male. Of course, one has to be careful not to overdo it. The Jedi aren't supposed to be about having lots of unnecessary things. Any jewelry should have a "cultural" significance for her race, like the tattoos of Luminara and Barriss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.