main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side female jedi costume ideas

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedichic07, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    One would think the long skirt would be an impediment to foot combat. Maybe it's a Jedi thing?

I made a female sith with a really short black skirt and very long tabbards. I think that is more of an impediment... but it looked really cool.

2. JesseCuster40

JesseCuster40 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2003
    Hello.

You may want to look to bellydancing costumes for ideas. Now, if you think it's a sexual art, you'd be mistaken. I notice you said you don't want a crop top. That's ok. You don't have to have something that will leave your stomach bare.

There are also lots of skirts that cover your legs and reach to the floor, so you won't feel nekkid.

You could go for lighter fabrics that are more feminine and float well when you turn.

The male Jedi robes are very full and so they will emphasis your movements. You can have the same thing with a fuller skirt without exposing too much skirt. If you have a closer fitting top with a robe or cloak over the whole thing, you will get a Jedi look and still look female.

Another route may be hakama, the Japanese split skirts worn by various martial artists like aikido-ka.

These are actually for guys, and I always thought the male Jedi would look good in them as lots of stuff in Star Wars has Japanese inspiration like Darth Vader's helmet, the Jedi robes themselves and the lightsaber fighting style.

See, something like this with your hair up in a practical yet girlie fashion might work.

[image=http://www.fulltraining.com.ar/productos/indumentaria/hakama.jpg]

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hakamas would make grand pants for a female jedi wear.

I've used the dress factor too and it looks great.

I was trying to recreate Fay's costume but it's a slight challenge with my funds at the moment.

4. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    hakuma are pretty cool but make sure you wear leggings underneath them.

I am thinking of using a simiular design as my sith costume for a female jedi. But a longer skirt that is cut up the sides with leggings underneath and a long top....

5. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    I've actually used a long very ful skirted dress that had a somewhat fitted long sleeve bodice for a Jedi wear. THe dress's bodice was used at the under tunic portion. I had an over tunic on top with tabbords, obi. It looked great too, very airy, feminine and comfortable. Plus dressy. Leggings the same shade as the dress are a good idea.

Question on the hakamas. Are those split up the sides? Is that why I need to have leggings under them?

6. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    they are slit pretty long near the top of the pants. on the hips, usually about 8" or so? I am trying to remember. But if no leggings you can see everything when you move.

7. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    bellydance costumes for jedi inspiration....now that's something I've never thought of before. I still think the skirts would get in the way of fighting, though.

8. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Oh Ohhh. Oh my. LOL Gothca'

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    The simplest thing to do is make the Jedi tunic with an A-line cut, where it flares out from the bottom of the sleeves to the hem. The side seams are still straight, they just angle outward like an "A" instead of going straight up and down. And you have to curve the bottom hem to compensate. That's what I did with mine because I'm all hips, narrow shoulders and no bust. A straight line tunic looks like a sack on me, so I had to do something. With pants, it basically looks just like a female version of Obi-wan's tunic, and the obi and belt give me a nice waist.

Otherwise, I saw plenty of female variations in the big fight scene at the end of AotC from simple tunics to long skirts. Jedi don't seem to be too strict with their dress code.

10. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    THat's true, they aren't.
    One female had a short sleevless over robe and it looke dgood on her.

11. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
  12. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Yes. Nice picture. Thanks for posting it and her name. Cool looking gear huh?
    Speaking of HERO, a friend is asking me to create a set of Jedi tunics of that flowy style. I think it'll be fairly easy and once the Obi, tabbords and leather belt are added, it'll be seen and identified as Jedi. What do the rest of you think? You all, think so as well?

13. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    maybe someone can use this as a reference for costumes...

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/12_Lady_Jedi_Pics_88698.asp

it's pics that have surfaced of 12' lady jedi figures....

14. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    hey all...i started on my jedi out fit last night.

i am using McCalls 4304 .

i lengthen the bottom about 8 inches. and hopefull will just wear like 'a dress'. haven't decided quite how i want to do the bottom yet.
    also the sleeves are full length. to be more 'jedish'

it has darts, so it is a little more form fitting.

my first project on my own...so we can see how it goes. :)

15. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I've noticed there's plenty of female Jedi costume ideas in the Wizards of the Coast RPG sourcebooks. The newest editions of these books have beautiful watercolor illustrations inside, and in a couple of cases you can see female Jedi even on the cover of the books, depending on which one it is. (There was one called Secrets of the Living Force or something much like that that had a LOTR-ish type female Jedi on the cover).

One particular Jedi had a very unique and elegant outfit--very full sleeves that tapered to tight buttoned cuffs on the forearm and a high petal-shaped collar all on a cream-colored tunic. Her tabbards were slate blue, and continued only as one long tabbard below her belt (her belt was a regular Jedi one). Her boots matched her tabbard color.

16. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I am happy to say I have a wonderful person working on a female jedi outfit for me, and I'm leaning twords the dark side..hehehehehe...updates soon!
    I'm not so talented as most of you - but I know people with talent!

17. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Originally Posted by the Pariah:
    I've noticed there's plenty of female Jedi costume ideas in the Wizards of the Coast RPG sourcebooks. The newest editions of these books have beautiful watercolor illustrations inside, and in a couple of cases you can see female Jedi even on the cover of the books, depending on which one it is. (There was one called Secrets of the Living Force or something much like that that had a LOTR-ish type female Jedi on the cover).

One particular Jedi had a very unique and elegant outfit--very full sleeves that tapered to tight buttoned cuffs on the forearm and a high petal-shaped collar all on a cream-colored tunic. Her tabbards were slate blue, and continued only as one long tabbard below her belt (her belt was a regular Jedi one). Her boots matched her tabbard color.

The character you're thinking of is Sia-Lan Wess who first appeared in the Invasion of Theed boxed set for the SWRPG, however, you got her colors a bit off. Sia-Lan's blouse, pants, and boots are light pink, while her tabbards and obi are a pale grey.

18. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hey :)

I stopped by to through in a few "new" ideas of female Jedi.
    A friend of mine is a illustrator and here you can see his "visions" ;)

I thought about doing the second one as a costume for me. I already have a female Jedi Healer costume but new is not always bad. ;)

Feel free to speak your mind ;) :)

19. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Nifty! :D I really like the last one.

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Nice illustrations. I really like the last one too.

21. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    wow, I really like them too! I like the second one alot, maybe a mix between the second and the last! I think I am going to make a generic Jedi costume just for the heck of it when ever I have time!

22. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    I quite like the second one :)

In other news, my custom female Jedi is almost done! yay!

23. skyscape

skyscape Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    <i>Long skirt as an impediment to foot combat?</i>

I doubt it. Real life I train in Aikido (thats a Japanese martial art) and although I am a year off black belt, sometimes I already have to wear the hakama, which is basically a floor long, ENORMOUSLY wide, pleated pair of trousers. People often think you must catch your toes all the time in the hem, but you actually dont and carry on just as well. (actually more so, my gi trousers tend to be addicted to gravity when worn on thier own :D )

And thank you to Jedi_Kai as well. I was looking for costume ideas for a fan film I will be making this summer with some friends, and I think you answered the idea for a pattern that has been bugging me for days. coolness! Slight variations I am considering at this point (and may revise again). I an thinking of having the obi and tabards over this long brown dress I have (It was my fave dress but the top was ruined at film-school when i got superglue down the front)Its almost floor length, not especially wide but the skirt is slit at each side to the knee (good for movement as I am being expected to do most of the stunts in our fan-film) and I was thinking cream trousers and brown boots to finish it off. The dress is a sort of milky coffee colour and I think the obi and tabards in a different shade of brown will work well... ???????????????????
    hmmm.. off to meditate on this

24. jedi_moira

jedi_moira Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Howdy all, I'd like to share my choice of female jedi costume with you, maybe it will help :)

I knew, as you have stated, that I wanted something more feminine than what my hubby, bro and son were wearing, but still be recognized as a jedi. I thought about what I would change the entire time I constructed their costumes. As a fashion major, ideas came redily, and I finally decided what I wanted, but with the EP3 premier only days away, I knew there wasn't time to construct my dream suit. So I did what I do when I need a great costume, I headed for my closet :)

While diggin in the back I came across a dress I had bought years before at either a garage sale or goodwill, I just loved the cut and simplicity of it, very 70's, short and all brownish-red. I shimmied in, pulled on the belt, cloak and my "hooker boots" as my hubby called them, very Aayla-like, and made an appearance to my boys, they all took one look and said that's perfect. Woot, we had a winner. :)

So we got all dolled up and headed for the premier, where heads turned when we stepped from the car :)
    I had no less than 5 girls and 3 guys tell me how much they liked my original outfit, and asked if I had a website that sold them! What better compliment can you get! I plan on posting the pics of our garb as soon as I get off my tushy and get em developed. I love makin and wearin costumes, not just for myself either, and am always happy to share my ideas and tips with anyone.

Hope my ramblings helped ya'll out, feel free to contact me with any questions or comments, i'll get picks up on my site asap for referance.

25. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    Alrighty folks, here are the pictures of my female Jedi costume, finished just hours before it had to be worn for the primier.

The first image is the sketch I drew, and the following pictures is what I came up with

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blushing_flower2000/album?.dir=b011&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blushing_flower2000/my_photos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.