main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side female jedi costume ideas

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedichic07, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    One of our members at The Jedi Assembly makes a pattern for female Jedi that is awesome...it employs a waist seam (Obi-wan's waist seam can be seen in a couple stills when his hands are above his head)...the "top piece" is darted at the waist and so is the bottom piece...this actually gives you a waist...yet when the sash and tabbards are in place...the waist seam can not be seen.

I have two of the waist seamed female Jedi...and they are AWESOME!

my Jedi:
    http://www.thejediassembly.com/viewmem.php?viewmem=Schph%20Gochi

2. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    Ahem...
    I found this pic from here. Someone used it. I would like to know how she found it.
    [image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/jediA-KS/jedibabe.jpg][/image]
    It happens to be made by me.
    I´m just curious. You can use the artwork if you give the credit for the artist.
    No offence...
    And about female jedi costumes:
    I saw a pic of a kotor 2 character. She wore white robes and had white hair. That kind of costume would be cool. I allready have one jedi tunics but maybe I make new ones. I only need white wig and meters of white fabric.
    What is the characters neme, BTW?

3. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I believe you're refering to Kreia.

There's a nice image of the concept art for her at http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotorii/conceptart.php Middle column, fifth piece down.

A good friend of mine made that particular costume last year. If you want, I can pass on your contact information to her. http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_htm/SWgeekhtm/DragonCon18_2004/DC2004_077.html

4. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Yep! That's her.
    Cool costume, by the way.
    I was thinking something like this:
    Costume and character design...
    The pic isn't very good to tell about the costume and the colours are wrong( I was planning something lightblue or orange), but the style shows well. Lots of layers :D!

5. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    actually, Kreia is the old lady in the brown robes. The white jedi is called Atris. :)

Be sure to show us pics if you make the costume!

6. Marmida

Nov 22, 2004
    Oh! I have seen Kreia too...
    But this Atris is cool. Way cooler than Bastila.
    The costume might not come in a very long while. But I'm planning to do some kind of SW costume at my school. I started to study clothing this fall. So maybe my final testwork will be that costume. I hope... The only problem is that I don´t have much use for sci-fi costumes. There are no cons in Finland. [face_frustrated] Crap...

7. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/electrakittydesigns/detail?.dir=4335&.dnm=e0ef.jpg&.src=ph
    A pic of my new Sarissa Jeng Jedi costume, as promised. I played with our Trooper Garrison today. We had a lot of fun, as usual, even though I was the only person with a face, as usual. :) I got to duel with a lot of little kids, which is always fun, though :)

8. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    This is Kreia

nice costume, electrakitty!

I really do like that white Atris costume. It's like Jocasta Nu. The drawing doesn't show the bottom of the tunic, so it almost looks like the garment is a long kimono, but the skirt is too full. hmmmmm...

9. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Obviously, I don't play KOTOR I/II, or I'd have known that. [face_beatup]

10. ailuraknight

ailuraknight Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
  11. Rachel_Agonahan1

Rachel_Agonahan1 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    Robin, you are a woman after my own heart. I am a role player on several different Star War message boards and out of my girls (of which I have several) Rachel Agonahan is my favorite to play as. And for Halloween I wanted to get in costume as her.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/KatieKincaid/trooper.jpg is the actual pic I use for Rachel, mainly just for the body type and face, but not the actual clothing.

So I come here for ideas and the costume you made for you is what I want to do for Rachel! That is actually how I envisioned her to look in robes. How did you do it? If you don't mind telling me.

12. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
  13. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    When was that second panel painted? The model looks just like Natalie Portman. . .cool :) [/hijack]

14. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    I did post this in its own thread but it fits here too!
    i made a naboo themed jedi costume for my friend. This is sans tabards as we couldnt find the right fabric (we wanted a shimmery fabric) The tunic is based on a Kimono design with kimono sleeves and the Obi is wider like a Kimono (much like the royal outfits of naboo)The liitle story behind the pendant she wears was it was a gift from Naboo for becoming a jedi, she doesnt own it as such, its more symbol of her people.
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/5akara/costumes/Commissioned%20costumes/01709_RT16LARGEedit.jpg]
    This pic shows the alternative hair and makeup idea we came up with..which echoed the naboo queen makeup sans white face.
    [image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/5akara/costumes/Commissioned%20costumes/padmeandnaboojedi1.jpg]

Eventually when we get the right fabric for the tabards ill post more pics.the tabard design is one that comes to a single point at the front and to the same length as the tunic

15. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Very nice looking. is that a rust colored brown? My monitor might not be set colorwise.

16. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Hi all, I'm considering this pattern for a new tunic for my Jedi. Of course, it's not canon, but it might be a bit less bunchy. . .Have a look http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V7930=x&TI=20002&page=4

17. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    Its a russet colour. The fabric was a silk slub and it took a lot of dye so it came out lighter than we originally wanted but my friend like the end result colour!

18. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    Thats the joy of creating your own..you are your own canon!..anyway alien jedi dotn always wear the traditional robes so go for it. I like the idea of that pattern. Would you wear an obi with it or wear it just as it is? if with an obi it would create a nice sillouette.

19. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    I dunno, I hadn't thought as far ahead as the obi yet. I just found the pattern, decided I liked it, and went with it. . .We'll see what I do with it.

20. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    :) AHh an accident that turned out great.:) I like how it looks.

21. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Wow, what an awesome thread! Here's my experiences with building female costumes...

Back in the day when I was poor and in high school, I wanted a Maul outfit, so I bought a skirt and some MC Hammer pants from a thrift store that looked really cool. The skirt was circular and came up to my calf. The rest of it was lingerie. : ) So maybe the skirt/pants combo would be fun.

I learned how to spar/fence when I worked at a Renaissance fair and... long full skirts and bulky sleves get in the way of everything. If you do make a skirt, I would suggest keeping the bulk of the fabric behind you and make the front shorter than the rear. That is of course assuming that you are a plain and practical Jedi and not a vain fashion b1tch Sith like myself who wants to dress like Amidala, wear silettos and kick Jedi butt, too! : ) Maybe it would be cool to make a traditional kilt? A traditional kilt has a short skirt in the front and a longer train in the back, and with enough fabric, has a very sexy swish to it. I really like the harem pants with the fabric that hangs down from the middle. And the cowboy pants are hot. I don't know why but seeing them and Star Wars makes me think of Cowboy Bebop! : )

As for me... the club I joined wanted me to make a Jedi costume. I didn't want to because everything I own is black. Or red. So I just bought some nice wool, hand dyed the pants material and bought some cotton for the under shirt. The pants are going to be utility/cargo pants close to what Han Solo wears, but with more pockets and slightly looser at the knee to allow for movement. They will tuck into some cool brown Jedi boots I found. For the top I am going to turn the obi into a wider corset type thing that fits under my breasts, so I will have a figure and it will give me some support. And the tabard is gone. I tried one out, but it just looked like someone pitched a tent on my chest... arg! : | Stupid males! So instead I am going to build in some fabric oragami details instead that will also extend down the sleeves. And that will be done in a dark brownish/maroon light wool. Drapes beautifully. Fabric oragami is really cool and I think it fits into the Star Wars universe really well. If anyone is interested, I can give you some book titles that I've discovered.

But what I really want to make is a Sith outfit. I want to build a corset into the top (because the other thing I learned at ren fair is that a good corset is way more comfortable and supportive than a bra). I'm thinking about fashoining it after ancient Mycenaean designs (but with the chest covered!). It's a corset with an attached jacket with 3/4 sleeves. Very tailored. Looking at various pottery designs, I've found that they liked to wear long, wide pants that looked like a skirt (like the kendo pants) that ended at the calf or layered skirts with the same sort of fabric hanging down the middle as the harem pants. It's pretty sweet for being thousands of years old! Whatever I make has to have pants and knee-high boots. Just because. : ) I'd also make Maul's cloak, but with different sleeves. Love the guy, hate the sleeves. Or a 1920s Art Deco-y looking Kinsale (sp?) cloak. And there wouldn't be a belt, just these pocket bands I made for my arms and legs that I took when I didn't want to take a purse out to a club. I try to make my costumes functional since I participate in a lightsaber fighting group, but if I didn't I could soooo go crazy!

I actually drew out some of this stuff, but my scanner's covered in tons of paper, but I'll post some pics soon.

And everyone's stuff really kicks butt!

22. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Rachel, I haven't been frequenting the boards as often as I used to.

How did I make my female Jedi costume... a long long process (and my first attempt at) pattern drafting. The over tunic was really the only weird part. Essentially, it's made in 2 parts, the top and the "skirt".

I had a bodice pattern left over from my Renaissance costume that I used as the base pattern for the top. Essentially, I just pinned it to the fabric to give me the shape around the waist. I cut off the pointy bits at the bottom to form a straight line, and then extended that line 7 inches from the edge to create the bottom of the crossover part (I hope this makes sense). I then took the front tunic piece from that McCall's pattern that every one and their brother uses for the first time Jedi Costume and lined up the shoulders on both patterns. I traced around the top and the neck to give the appropriate shape, and then drew a diagonal line connecting the top of the neck to the bottom line that I drew earlier.

For the back, it was the same idea. First I pinned down the bodice pattern, then overlaid the tunic pattern to get the right shape for the neck and shoulders. I traced around the pattern piece, and voila! top pattern piece done! **Note: the bodice did also have side panel pieces, but they required little to no modification.**
    [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/jade_star23/Jedipatternpics.jpg]

Now that the bodice has been sewn together, you?ll notice that there is nothing to finish off the sleeves because this is a sleeveless piece. I pretty much winged the creation of sleeve facings: traced the arm holes onto a manila envelope, drew a similar line 2 inches behind it, used that as a pattern, zigzaged all the edges of the fabric, then sewed them in and tacked them back.

The "skirt" portion of the tunic was made in 3 pieces: 2 identical front pieces that would overlap in the finished product, and one large back one. The skirt is A-line in design, with the bottom hem significantly larger than the top. After the bodice was sewn together, I measured how long each section was (front seam to side seam for the front panels, side seam to other side seam for the back panel) and made that measurement the length of the top of the corresponding skirt panel. Still with me? Here?s a pic that might help explain:
    [image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/jade_star23/tutorialpicmeasure.jpg]

The bottom measurements for the skirt panel are the same measurements from the top with however many inches you want to add to give you the desired ?flare? (this is also dependent on how wide it needs to flare to fit over your bottom. Mine was a good deal more than I thought it was going to be) The length of these panels can be however long you want/need them to be, I did find that they hung a lot better if I added a 4 inch non-diagonal line to the bottom of the side measurements (the red markings). Don?t forget to factor seam allowances into all your measurements!

Sew the skirt panels together, and then attach the skirt to the bodice. For the final touch I went back to that McCall?s pattern and took the....edging? I don?t know the proper word for it, but the fabric around the neck seam and overlap. I used their pattern for it, only cutting enough to cover the raw edges on the bodice (theirs covers the raw edges all the way down to the bottom of the tunic). Tada! Over tunic!

The obi is just a standard wrap around one, and the half tabbards are attached to the inside of it. The tabbards are pretty easy to figure out, they are just double sided fabric rectangles.

The pants are a pair of brown capris that I bought a couple of years ago and the brown shirt I found for $4 at Value Village.

23. Darth-Andromalius

Darth-Andromalius Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2005
    With a female character it?s very necessary to mix in aspects that complement the figure. With Jedi the look would be more conservative, with the Sith it would be more like a dominatrix thing. Either way the costume should deeply reflect the wearers personality or the personality of the character being portrayed.

influenced wardrobes are always useful maybe check out Crouching Tiger or Jade Empire.
    http://jade.bioware.com/characters/dawn_star.html

24. DOMNUSKYWALKER

DOMNUSKYWALKER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2005
    In the pic that Ihave of Shaak Ti the skirt has a train. If you are fighting there is no way you would not step on it. Im not making mine with a train. I want to be able to move at will. I will however make it to cover my boots. Ive seen only two Shaak Ti on fan sites, the head dress werent quite right. Great concepts though. Im making one using latex. Im a stickler for detail. But their are no pics of her without her robe on. so what is underneith is a guessing game. Which is cool I can take more liberties. But I want to make her as close to the movie as I can. If anyone has any pics or links to her pic I love to know.

Chris aka/Domnu Skywalker
    domnuskywalker@yahoo.com

25. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Well, Idda' know. Not all Sith do the dominatrix thing. I'd probably go Victorian or asian-ish, or good ole' jeans and T shirt.(Just kidding. No jeans and T shirt.) :-D When I was going to make a Sith costume, the base was going to be a chigonsam(long split sided chinese dress), or a Vietnamese Ao Dai.

An Ao Dai, is a narrow or full sleeved blouse whose 'tail" goes to the mid-thigh or mid shin. Split up the sides to the waist. It's usualy has two layers of fabric in each of the panels.(One 'panel' in front, the other in back.) The Ao Dai's 'blouse" would work for jedi or Sith depending on colour. Asian clothing patterns can be eaasily found online and with a little modifing can pass for other worldly clothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.