main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I have to admit, probably all of the T-shirts I own (just in general) were being sold in the men's section of one store or another. The way most stores around here are set up, you'd think that girls are only interested in things with sequins or neon pink. All the fun stuff that isn't obviously feminine goes straight to the men's section. I've had people comment on "fun shirts" before, but never in a disparaging way; actually half the time it's "oh hey I love that show!" I think a lot of people are just curious when they see a girl or woman who is willing to wear something related to what they like.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got a few Fett t-shirts and I have no problems wearing those if the weather allows it. Too chilly for them now!

3. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I love going tot he Celebrations in part to see all the cool shirts. We as SW fans do not have a distinctive greeting for one another and "Cool shirt" or "Hey, I like your shirt" was about the closest thing to it there. Outside of that realm, I do not get those warm receptions for the most part more just pointed looks from other women. It isn't easy being 'geek' sometimes. Then again, I love in northern NJ. Certain types of women do that no matter what.

That said, I was in Hot Topic the other day and the teenage guy working there directed me to a made for women SW shirt that was pretty cool. It was black and had an X-Wing on it in silver. While I like X-wings as much as the next fan, I haven't felt the need to buy it yet.

I think I was wearing a CVI t-shirt with Luke's outline on it at the time. I don't have any Luke stuff unless it was given to me, but I met Mark Hamill for the first time there so I felt the need to get it, besides it's really soft.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    ...That would be awesome. Someone in the office has a random EU question that no one can answer, and you jump out of your cubicle, "This looks like a job for... J_GIRL!" and rip your blazer open, showing the Imperial emblem.

J_Girl and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  5. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
  6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I love freaking people out with my lightsaber tattoo...."You're a SW Fan Girl??" Yep, named my son Luke even.

I agree the T Shirts hardly ever look good on a lady and you get the weirdest looks wearing them. Mine are all in storage, wont wear them anymore. Saving them for my son, who not so surprisingly enough is a huge fan at 13.

J_Girl likes this.
  7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Makes me glad that I don't have a very feminine build. I still get weird looks when I wear them. Not that I really care.

Yeah. Those people all are just jealous of my awesome Greedo shirt. Or my kick-ass Zuckuss shirt. :p

Now, my apartment is another matter. I get questions about my mini-bust and figurine, my two paintings, and even the posters in my stairwell. Everyone questions my SW stuff. But, my two-foot-tall Batman figure that stands beside the utility closet? No one says a word.

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Star Wars fans seriously need to get a distinctive greeting. The Trekkies have the hand and "Live Long and Prosper." We should figure something out, that can be done anywhere, by anyone, so we don't all have to be wearing different shirts and looking for them.

J_Girl likes this.
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, "may the Force be with you" doesn't work when saying good-bye? "Here's your pizza. Have a good day." "May the Force be with you."

J_Girl and Adalia-Durron like this.
  10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I just say 'Force be with you' ;)

My collection has become a curiosity at my sons school. He's had a few friend who want to 'come see it' and I had a mother in teh school canteen where I was volunteering ask if her son could come see it.....they all know about it, no one questions it anymore. It's just part of me now...

11. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    LOL! :confused: Why haven't I thought of that all this time!?! I'd like it to work more as a 'hello', but it definitely would do the job. :cool:

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Always the option of "Dark Greetings." We use that on IRC often. Or even "What is thy bidding, my master?" It's not necessarily a "Hello," but it would work for a laugh. And when things go your way, you can say "Thank the Maker!"

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I use "What is thy bidding my master?" when I'm out to annoy my husband....

J_Girl likes this.
  14. Mayla

Sep 4, 2012
    Lol.
    My mother used her phone to screencap a bunch of scenes from Episode II with the captions turned on last time it played, and now when her fiancee texts her something she replies via image. So he'll text her asking if she'll pick up apples or something at the store and the reply he receives is Boba Fett's deadpan "As you wish".

J_Girl likes this.
  15. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I was in Barnes & Noble considering buying the new SW Illustrations coffee table book - beautiful stuff in there, btw - when my text notification went off. It happens to be an old .wav file I have had around for at least 10 years of R2D2 doing a few beeps and a whistle. Some guy looks up and says to his friend, "Did I hear that?" I looked over his way and barged into the conversation and asked him what he thought he heard. He replied, "I thought I just heard R2D2." I smiled and confirmed that he did and said I was a 'closet geek.' He replied, "That's okay. We all are."

Trak, there was a perfect opening for me to say MTFBWY and I just completely forgot! Like I said, I was pretty enthralled with the illustration book.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got the Illustrations book. it's pretty nice! I also just got the Reader's Companion - highly recommended if you are into the SW books.

17. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I didn't see the Reader's Companion. I'll have to look for that.

Yesterday I was trying on a sweater and the jump ring on my Imperial logo charm snagged and became a serious tug of war. :mad: The charm fell off, but I was able to recover it and will reinstall it on the necklace.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You know... I had bought candy for the trick-or-treaters, but I don't think that my neighborhood does trick-or-treating. There's a Halloween party, but I'm not sure the trick-or-treat date. I'm afraid that I bought that candy for no reason.

What am I going to do with a big bag of Vader and Yoda gummies?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Find a good movie on TV/DVD and open the bag...

I don't think I've ever gotten trick/treaters here. UK does 'do' Halloween but it's more party-based.

TrakNar likes this.
  20. Mayla

Sep 4, 2012
    Unfortunately I live in a private apartment complex where the average age of residents is ~70. So I'm out of luck when it comes to excuses to buy candy.

I have some reason to believe that might be for the best, though... last year (before we moved) we bought a bag of candy a little early. Between the three of us, it was gone by the time Halloween finally arrived, and we had to buy another bag for trick-or-treaters. Then no one showed up at our door, so we ended up having to eat the second bag too. I don't think I ate chocolate for six months after that.

21. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Mayla my parents neighborhood used to be filled with kids and they gave out at least 6-7 big bags of candy all said and done . Now they still buy all of those big bags of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, and Kit Kats...but the 5 or so kids that show up nowadays will be lucky if there is any candy left by that time. I always joke it is a major food group in their house these days [ not when we were groing up, hmph!] Plus, I know my grandmother's complex would go through candy like crazy. They may not trick or treat, but they will still be happy to gobble up that candy is my bet, lol.

That's it, Trak, I am so coming trick or treating at your place! I saw people on House Hunters looking to buy in Gettysburg. Looks like a great place. I know a lot of towns have decided against trick or treating, but I am nostalgic for it all.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Gettysburg still does trick-or-treating, and we have a Halloween parade. This year, though, it may all get washed out by the Frankenstorm.

Oh, I also have a big bag full of mini-bags of Goldfish crackers. My candy is the best, come trick-or-treat at my place. :p

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I seem to always forget to troll Target, Walmart, and Kmart for holiday SW stuff. I did see online that Target has a bunch of glass blown ornaments again - I wonder if they'll have anything else fun. They usually have spiffy fun stuff for Christmas. My fav. Christmas goodie is my lightup Yoda tree topper :)

24. Mayla

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh, I also have a big bag full of mini-bags of Goldfish crackers.

I would take goldfishies over candy any day!

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Come to my apartment and we'll share! :D