main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
  2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah where did this go?

What do you gals think of the new Padme figure due out next year? I personally like the idea and hope they do it well. They've been dropping the ball with the girl figs lately.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    More girl figs! more girl figs!!!!

4. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    hi! i've been lurking on this thread for a while now because i have a 2 1/2 month old daughter and i want her to have the opportunity to be a Star Wars fan/collector. my whole family is telling me that i'm going to "warp" her with "boy's toys", but fortunately my wife disagrees.

i know she's really too young now, but as we head into the really fun years what about Star Wars will appeal to a little girl? i never knew any female Star Wars fans until i joined this board. my cousins all had Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake. (both of which are fine, if she wants them.)

i don't want to "push" Star Wars onto her, but i would love to share my hobby with her. What do you all think? i started a Princess Leia collection just for her, but i don't want to give her the idea that she can only like "the girl."

5. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Speaking as a female who DID play with Star Wars toys as a child, I say bravo for introducing your daughter to the wide world of Star Wars toys :) It won't "warp" or "damage" her, as lots of kids of both sexes nowadays play with toys that were once deemed "taboo" for the opposite sex. For example, my nephew ran around the other day carring a ballerina Barbie everywhere he went (it was his cousin's) and he just turned 3. No one thought it odd or wrong.

As a child I played with action figures, Matchbox cars, Micronauts (now I'm dating myself...LOL), Transformers...you name it. I also had my doll collection that I loved playing with as well.

Sorry to be so long-winded but basically I say kudos to you and your wife :)

6. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I sinceredly doubt that playing with "boys'" toys is going to warp a little girl. I never had any Barbies or fashion dolls when I was growing up (I'm now 18), mainy because my mother thought they were a poor example for a little girl. Intead I had Lego, Meccano and various other boy-oriented toys (including a few I stole from my brother) and I don't think I'm any worse off for it.

If I had a daughter, I'd much prefer her to have Leia and Padmé as role models than Barbie. It's entirely your choice how you raise your child. :)

7. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I've got a 6 y/o daughter. She plays with Star Wars, Matchbox cars, Barbies, Polly Pocket, Strawberry Shortcake, whatever. I've always thought it was cool she liked playing with my Star Wars toys and we've had lots of fun together (even if Playskool Hoth Luke is the "mommy" or Jabba the Hutt jumps and Quashes Han all of the time).

I think its great that she plays with "toys" and its not just a boy toy or girl toy thing.

I think she'll become a really crazy Star wars fan after the Droids & Ewoks DVDs come out later this year :D

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I always played with cars and Voltron. My mom encourged me to play with whatever I wanted. She still does. This is probably why I feel at home in groups of guys and tend to do more "guy" things. I sword fight, have a deap love and understanding of math, and even was a pall-bearer for my grandmother. All of these things are typically thought of as "male" things but I have no trouble doing them.

I think that it was because my mom was so open and allowing with me and my toys that I'm so confrotable breaking hte gender stereotypes now.

Thus, alowing your children to play with whatever they wish will help society in the long run.

9. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Jedi_Dujuan, I swordfight too! Isn't it fun?? I'm in the SCA and have just started getting into heavy list fighting. It's a great stress reliever! :)

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm in the SCA

So am I!! I just joined this summer and just love it! What kingdom are you? I think I'm in Calontir (SP?) One of these days I'll have to post my armor.

What is heavy list fighting? I probably know what it is but haven't heard it called that.

11. JediLuner

JediLuner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    This is for all you girls out there!!![face_blush]

the Vendors who will be at the con - Bubonicon this on the Pegasus Publishing website

Move Along Shirt
    http://www.pegasuspublishing.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16234&cat=264&page=1

12. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    thanks everyone for the support with my daughter. my wife and i are always talking about how bad it sucks (her words) to be a girl because of the lack of role models. when i go to the toy store and see dolls dressed like prostitutes (bratz) and toy kitchens & vacuum cleaners being marketed to girls, i have to agree. it's like they're saying you can be a piece of meat or a housewife, but nothing else. i think leia and padme are both great examples of strong women for my little girl to look up to. (although i have to say i'm more for leia than padme, mostly because i'm old school when it comes to star wars)

EDIT: i've got to add that i'm probably a little over-sensitive to the issue because when i was younger "darth vader" came to the local mall, accompanied by "jawas." we went with my cousin (a girl, older than me) and she cried so much we had to leave before i got the dark one's autograph. i still can't believe it...she was scared of a jawa!

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    If I had HALF the stuff I had as a (Star Wars, Barbie, Breyer horses, toy cars) I'd be rich... My parents didn't play the 'girl toy thing' with me unless I asked for them!

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Luner, I don't do much in the line of T-Shirts, but I'd make an exception for this one!

15. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Dajuan, I'm in the East Kingdom. Heavy list fighting are the big thugs who beat each other with sticks...LOL. I'm just getting an armor kit together now :)

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Just dropping in to say 'Hi' to the fellow girls. :)

And to say to rebelwookiee that I think it's great you are introducing your daughter to SW. Princess Leia symbolized so much to me when I was a kid. Probably because before her all I had really paid attention to were the cartoon princesses that lived happily ever after. With Leia I had a flesh and blood character (with brown hair!) who was strong and gutsy while still retaining the title of 'princess'. What more could I have asked for?

I see it happening again with my six year old niece. She idolizes Padmé in two ways: in the kick-butt warrior way and in the pretty feminine 'princess/queen' way. It's really cool.

17. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    well, i just had another encounter with the anti-female star wars fan crowd.

i was going through the checkout at Target with 4 OTC figs and the cashier (a girl, 20 something) asked me: "are these for you or your son?" i proudly replied "they're for me and my DAUGHTER." she gave me a weird look and said "oh...uh...okay...i guess that's nice...does she like star wars?" then i told her "i don't know, she's only two months old." LOL! she gave me an even weirder look.

as i was leaving i saw a guy i knew from high school. i showed him my loot and said "i'm getting extras for her toybox." he just shook his head.

at least my daughter seemed to like her new Greedo. of course, it went right into her mouth so i had to take it away. :oops:

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I get that a lot when I shop for toys. The "Oh is this a gift?" I give them the "Nope they're ALL MINE," smile and walk away. Luckily the stores I usually shop at know me and cease to give me that look.

Glad your daughter likes Greedo. Make sure she realizes that he did not shoot first.

19. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Glad your daughter likes Greedo. Make sure she realizes that he did not shoot first.

LOL! And don't let her marry someone who isn't a Star Wars fan.

My two oldest are girls, the oldest, Leia is a fan, the youngest girl is not. I started a collection for Leia of "Leia" items. So far she has the vintage 12" Leia, 12-back Leia, all the 3 3/4 Leia's, 3 different 12" Leias, numerous Carrie Fisher autographs, Leia plate.. and just about anything with Leia on it I could find. My son is a fan as well, but he has varied interests and so far he hasn't really picked one above all else.

Move Along Shirt

Hey Ken... think I should get that shirt?

20. JediLuner

JediLuner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Hey ; Mara_Jade_Fan [face_mischief]

Hi ; Girl's @};-

Well Linda , I know you and I both colloct T-shirts, but I dont Think i should get this I mite where it and get LQQK's!!! Hee Hee!!![face_blush] But ya; that way you can atleast have 1 shirt up on me!!![face_cowboy]

21. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Hi all--

I was in Wal-Mart buying some action figures once in my parents' hometown. Some people from their church stopped me to say hi, saw the figures, and asked if they were for my husband or my brother for Christmas. I said, "No, they're for me." They said "Oh" and laughed.

We just bought a house this past summer and I get some funny looks when asked how I'm going to decorate it. (I'm still in the process--those of you who have moved, especially made a major move, will understand.) Move over, Martha Stewart--no frilly flowers and pink lace rooms for me. When my office is finished, it's going to be an office/Star Wars collecting room combined. (Right now it's office/game room/husband's storage for clothes/books and collectibles in boxes room. :p )

As far as "boys' toys" and "girls' toys"--when and if I ever have a daughter, she'll be introduced to Star Wars just like her mama--and hopefully will come to love it as much. She'll also be introduced to both Barbies and Matchbox cars--and she can pick what she likes better. My parents never did the gender-toy thing--I did have a lot of Barbies, but my sister got a red Tonka truck for her second birthday. That sister is now 28 and is as feminine as they come. (And unfortunately doesn't like Star Wars. :( ) My brother had the misfortune of having two older sisters who used to put makeup on him and put ribbons in his hair--but as an adult he shows no signs of being warped or scarred for life.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    RebelWookiee

Well I was a spoiled rotten kid growing up and got pretty much whatever I wanted toywise...all of the good stuff, I still have - that "Amazing Stories" episode w/ Mark Hamill being told to squirrel away all of his treasures and keep them safe left a lasting impression on me :p

I had/have oodles of Barbies...I also had every SW figure that was nearly ever produced. I had the 12" Luke, Leia, and Han dolls. Barbie usually preferred Luke and Han to Ken...who could blame her? ;)

My advice - getting the Leias for your daughter are great, but get her Han and Luke's also. And get her Anakin and Padme dolls. If you can find them - get her the droids too. 3PO and R2 are very kid friendly characters and I spent hours playing w/ my droids figures.

I saw pictures of TPM celebration Padme figure and am very excited :) Of course, I still need the Tatooine Padme though :( I did manage to snatch up a Secret Ceremony Prototype figure of Anakin though to go w/ my Geonosis chase Padme prototype [face_love]

When I get the final touches on them, I've just made custom 12" Mara Jade and Tenel Ka dolls - I'll post pictures here for you all to enjoy. The Mara is especially great because I picked a doll who's face looks remarkably similar to how she's represented on the Japanese NJO books. I think TK looks great too. I'm planning a Jaina, but unfortunately finding the right kinds of clothes is a bit hard. Also, other than being barefoot, anyone have any advice on types of clothes for Tahiri to wear?

I also really want to find one of those butt ugly 12" Arena Padme dolls dirt cheap to steal her clothes and make a Barbie as her instead. I just refuse to spend over $5 on one of those icky dolls though.

23. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Cool PLJ! Can't wait to see your newest creations :) Can you make a custom Aayla Secura or Barriss Offee? :)

24. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I am looking forward to seeing your Mara custom doll PLJ. I have two 12" Mara dolls, one came from Japan, and the other was a custom doll made from a CyGirl(sp?) doll.

25. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Good to see this thread back again!