main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Feminism has gone too far!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Whilst I was driving to work this morning, I heard on the news radio that a Victorian politician (can't remember who... was it Rob Hulls?) said that men only clubs, such as the Melbourne Club (which is at least a hundred years old) is out-dated, and should be open up to women?

Why? This is a very old, traditional club. Why should they be forced to change?

Very near my work there is a female only gym. I bet if you reversed the situation - and I wanted to join this gym, there would be a HUGE outcry.

It is all very hypocritical.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Yes, I agree. While men only clubs are by their nature discriminatory, the rules should be applied equally to female clubs.

I remember a few years back, there was a case with a womans only swimming pool, or somesuch. Essentially men wanted access, and the women didnt want them there.

In the end, the legal proceedings decided that the women didnt have to let the men in.

As a society we should be striving for equality in every way. We should not be striving to push gender inequality in any form.

3. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I hate to bring up Big Brother in here, but Katrina (the poor soul) goes to an all female gym. The new age feminist/politician in the making/nude smut model. Apparently she doesn't like guys looking at her.

Pffft.

Let's hope that female gym is shut down too, it's in Victoria as well. Can't have one set of rules for one and not the other afterall.

4. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Just a little anecdote on feminism:

I was in the Myer Centre today, and got in the lift to go up to the movies with a friend, when in stepped one of those highly-annoying, loud, obnoxious women. Yes, you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, as we reach the top, the lift stops rather suddenly, enough to put us all off balance. This women says: "What a piece of crap. I bet it was designed by men". Oh, God, every man in the lift turned around and shot laser beams from their eyes. She wasn't stepping out at that level, so just before I left, I said (just loudly enough so that she could hear), a spiteful joking statement: "Why are you outside? Everyone knows a women's place is in the kitchen."

The look on her face - priceless.

And that was the highlight of my day.

5. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    The poor dear. I bet she was saving that line up in her head for weeks beforehand and you cut her down like that?

You suck.

:)

6. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Oh, woe is me.

7. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I was talking to a female friend today. She tells me she's going to a Female Writing Group this afternoon.

I asked why women need their own writing group. She didn't know either.
    She told me to start a male writing group.

I said, No, I'll start a writing group for ANYONE.

Then I mentioned the Women's Room at Uni. There's no Men's Room. She said men would probably be too lazy to build one. (But who do you think put up the Women's Room?)
    I told her men don't need one, they'd probably just end up at the bar.

The student magazine has a women's section, a gay's section, a Green's section, a Sport's section - a section for everything, but no Men's section.

I'm reminded of a saying one of my HS teachers had: "You don't have to blow out my candle to make your's glow brighter."

8. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, I betcha Katrina from Big Brother is a hypocrite as well.

Look, I am all for womens rights... I absolutely hate it when men make sexist and derogatory comments, but there is a time and a place for gender specific groups and associations, ie: Women's Gyms, the Melbourne Club, etc...

9. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I agree with almost everything said so far except for jediguy which was a bit cruel. There is alot on this topic I guess...But I forget so I can't remember what else to say *bleh*

10. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    OH MY GOD.

jediguy in your first post you described my mother. EEK (I do love her by the way, i case she happens to read this but I don't think she will)

Everynight we watch the news it happens. There were images of Palestinians throwing rocks at Israeli tanks. 'Look at them they are all men!'. Then there was Parliemant and people arguing - 'They are all men'.

It is so damm annoying. it's reached the point where everytime she says it I say 'I KNEW you were going to say that! That is becoming REALLY predictable!' or I say 'I'm not freaking blind woman!'

Then when that Palestinian chick blew herself I said 'Huh! It was a chick this time!!!!'

11. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I've had that "I bet it was designed by a man" thing thrown at me at Uni. I was using a fume cabinet and was too tall for it, making it difficult for me to see what I was doing without bending down awkwardly. My prac teacher said it to me - raving lesbian she was - so I said to her "I bet it was too, women never invented anything".

It just came out without me thinking, but was got pretty cranky. She used to refer to the other prac teacher as "The token male" because in the Biology department all the lecturers and prac teachers were women except one. Great way to ensure you don't get a HD, annoy the person that marks your work.

I don't personally mind women only pools and gyms, because guys do tend to make things like that intimidating for the women who don't want attention from men. Those that do want the attention go topless on beaches. LOL.

12. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    ^ LOL! I'll have to use that 'women dont invent anything' remark in the future some time!

Yeah, as for the ___ only clubs, I don't have a problem with them. After all, it is the proprietors of the club who should be allowed to make the rules. And in the cases of men-only clubs, I don't think many women would want to join them anyway.

13. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    You know it is often best to just not bring yourself down to their level. It makes you no better than they are.

As for men only clubs - I really don't know why women would want to go to them anyway???

14. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    ^ LOL it's be hard to go that low!

But anyway, I did hear that the Tattersalls club in Brisbane considered opening membership to women. Something like 3% of womean said they would join such a club. Not only that but the motion did not pass.

15. Cockatiel

Cockatiel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Yeah ... and what's up with Women's only toilets?

I mean ... they are so much nicer than men's. ;)

16. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Hay Dave, Anita is a feminist, enough said really....I tried to date a woman who told me , quote, unquote " I hate men", I really am stupid :)

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    There's always a lineup at the girl's dunnies though. I wouldn't like that.

18. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
  19. Cockatiel

Cockatiel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    "There's always a lineup at the girl's dunnies though. I wouldn't like that."

I've seen men's toilets that send some people into therapy for years, a line is a small price to pay to piss amongst princesses. :)

(sorry just wanted to overuse words starting with P ... I don't really think women are princesses, I think their pro *cough* ... where was I? Oh yeah I think their proper ladies.) ;)

20. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Yes.

I haven't been in the female toilets, but I'm guessing (using my knowledge of physics and anatomy) that you don't see many female toilets were females "use" the sink?

I actually saw that in the Men's the other week. And no, it wasn't busy - he was the only person in the toilets. He was a daft looking little git with wraparound glasses. Just proves what I always thought about people who wear those.

:)

21. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    You weren't looking in the mirror, were you Oz? ;)

22. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Read the following, as taken from www.starwarschicks.com..guys they really are intent on taking over the world :D

The ORIGINAL Star Wars Chicks...the women of the movies, books and Expanded Universe. They come from many exotic planets across the galaxy: Alderaan, Naboo, Dathomir, Courscant, Tatooine. These women aren't just any chicks, they are diplomats, mothers, sisters, X-wing pilots, Jedi, witches and even a few Princesses and Queens. They also can be bounty hunters, Imperials and smugglers. When their homes and loyalties are threatened, they don't just sit at home and wait for Luke Skywalker to save the galaxy...they pick up their blasters, fire up the ion cannons and swing a mean lightsaber. And while all the men are out battling evil, who's at home running show?? Watch out, guys...the girls are taking over!

And what do they mean, it's the girls running the home..they're implying that it's the girls who are responsible for the Rebel's victories

I don't know, women can't live with them, can't live without them, thanks hormones :)

23. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    it's the girls running the home

Good to see the women in the SW universe know where their proper place is; in the HOME! Women of earth pay close attention :p ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.