Fencing

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by yaddel, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaddel Jedi Knight

star 1
    I used to fence in college and I miss it, it would be fun to fence with Lightsabers, I think :) Anyone interested in having a fencing meeting? We could meet in a park or something, you just need a place to run around, are any of you fencers?
  2. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    No fencing experience.
  3. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    that sounds like fun, I don't know how to fence, but I am skilled in normal sword fighting
  4. Takwolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    Kam Did you do SCA?

Tak
  5. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    I did SCA! That is where my on-line board name came from. I am Isbeth of Arctour from the shire of Beau Flevre. BTW, my undergraduate alma mater has a fencing class and team and they compete all over the world. I wasn't very good.
  6. yaddel Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know I should know this BUT, what is SCA? and what kind of weapons did you guys use?? I am actually going to start teaching my daughter/baby how to fence in the fall, but SCA sounds fun too :) Any info would be great!
  7. Takwolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    For info on the SCA check out;

The Barony of the Bright Hills web page in the City of Baltimore & the counties of Baltimore, Cecil, Carroll, & Harford

the Barony of the Lochmere in Anne Arundel and Howard Counties

the Barony of Highland Foorde in Allegany, Frederick, Garrett and Washington Counties

the Shire of Roxbury Mill in Montgomery County

and the Barony of Storvik in Prince Georges,Montgomery Counties and the District of Columbia

BTW LOTS of Star Wars Fans in this group.

Hope this helps
    Tak

8. Takwolf Jedi Knight

star 2
  9. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Tak, No i've never heard of SCA
  10. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Let's hear it for the East! Go here

BTW, The Hael and Beau Fleve do not have a link, here. :_| Where is the Black Hoard A.K.A. House Elandris when you need them? :confused:
  11. gh0stdevil Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yaddel --

If you're near Columbia/Howard County general area, you're in supreme luck. The barony there, Lochmere, which I used to belong to, and which I did the web page for (yes, those lovely graphics were mine ;P) has /the/ /single/ /best/ rapier instructor on the east coast, in my humble opinion. His name is Robert Beddingfield, and when I stopped SCA fencing due to time constraints he was still the Baron there.

I fenced in the SCA for the 3 years I participated, and nothing else is more fun! The style they use (in the round vs. strip fencing) is more dramatic/film style/fun to me...it is more like lightsaber dueling than strip fencing.

Anyway, give me a PM if you want more info, I was the Barony of Lochmere's web minister and assisted the chatelaine, or officer who greets new people. =)

Take care everyone,
    Chris (aka Colin Munro of Lochmere)
  12. yaddel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks thanks! I went to the SCA website for the columbia area, and I hope to attend a meeting in the next couple of weeks :)
  13. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    I should rejoin, I still have the garb I made, although I liked lacemaking and dancing more than fighting. I used to like to watch the fight practices, however. Lots of folks in the DC fanforce belong to the S.C.A.
  14. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Ugh! The dreaded double post! [face_shocked] Sorry everyone! [face_blush] I didn't mean to do that!
  15. Takwolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    Of course there are aways the Amtgard people with the Barony of Crystal Goves in Hagerstown MD and the
    Shire of Solstice in Bethseda.

They use foam padded PVC pipes and have different rules in fighting (i.e.. no head shots). So if you are a little weary of taking a "head" with hard wooded Rattan to your helm (one thing I like about the SCA), this is the place for you.

In the SCA you need to use Steel Plated Mail ( they will loan you some and help you make your own or you can pay someone to make yours) , In Amtgard the armor can be a little more creative and allot lighter with the lighter weapons.

The SCA is more historically accurate, Amtgard is more in the fantasy realm with wizards, druids, Goblins, ect., while in the SCA they "dedicated to researching and re-creating pre-17th-century European history"

Both have lots of great people in them, it just depends on what you are looking for to make a choice.

Here is an example of a Amtgard Battle
    [image=http://amtgard.com:8080/galleries/amtgard/0011.jpg]

and here is an example of a SCA Battle
    [image=http://www.grifdigital.com/p/2002/Kerry/018_17A.jpg]

Hope this helps
    Tak
  16. gh0stdevil Jedi Knight

star 1
    It should, of course, be noted that Tak is speaking of /heavy/ fighting when he talks about the steel plate armor, etc.

The SCA separates it's heavy fighting and it's fencing...fencers need only cloth armor of a certain thickness...and of course the mask.

Of course, you can't be King via fencing...so it gives the heavy fighters a bit more pomp and circumstance. =)

Chris
  17. GreyKnight Jedi Padawan

Hey ghOstdevil what was your SCA name?
    Mines Athalwolf and I was the Barony rapier Champion for Storvik for the last two years.
  18. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Although, no body asked, I would like to mention my SCA name was/is Lady Isbeth of Arctour and I was/am a personal friend of former King/Queen of the East; Hastrubal and Kunigunda. :)

Thanks for the pics, Tak. Those swim noodles on the swords sure beat the age old rattan and foam padding around when I was active. Perhaps soften the amount of black and blues. But then what do fighters use a badges of honor, now? :confused:

Anybody here ever been to Pennsic? :confused:
  19. Takwolf Jedi Knight

star 2
    "age old rattan" rapped with Duct tape is what they still use in the SCA
    Swim Noodles or the other group.
    Although the armor has seemed to have an upgrade or to from "foam padding"

hehe My name was Karl Von Rhein shiprecked an thought left for dead on the coast of Ireland. Only to be nursed back to health by the lovely Colleen Elizbeth MacMurphy. Who later became my wife.

Tak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.