main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Festival of the Long Night (OC Revolution Winter Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ink.Knight, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    AN: I used this chance to not only fulfill the challenge prompt but also include the non-competition prompt and the discussion prompt. Though getting it in under the 500 word limit was harder than I thought it would be. Which means I just barely managed to get 500 and not go over. lolz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darra laughed as she reached up to try and sort out his hair, eyes bright with easy joy. She was dressed in a very long tunic that nearly reached her knees in a muted blue-gray color, with a charcoal-gray belt to match her tall boots and pale gray leggings. The hems of the tunic had vines embroidered on them in faint silvery thread that would shine in the light of the night's bonfires. Her long, dark hair was left deliberately wild and free with gold streaked through it by specially bought pigments.

Jake's smile was easy and lopsided while he pulled at the deep midnight-blue tunic he wore. It was shorter than Darra's, only going halfway down his thighs, and the embroidery was stars done in the same silver. He wore matching leggings while his belt and boots were black. His hair was tipped with gold to match hers, something no one would be surprised to see as the two had been inseparable their entire lives. Finally his oldest friend stepped back, seemingly happy with how she'd gotten his hair to settle.

"That'll have to do. Honestly Jake, you couldn't have gotten it cut for today?" She teased and he rolled his eyes in return.

"It's not that long, and you got it to stand up so we're good." He replied, gesturing at the way she'd gotten the thick black hair to bristle the way she'd wanted it to. It was a little long for that particular style, but not ridiculously so. Now he hesitated though, taking a slow breath he pulled a small box from his pocket and offered it to her.

"It's not much of course, but when I saw this I knew you had to have it." He explained, shifting awkwardly on his feet as he reassured her he hadn't broken tradition by getting her some extravagant gift. That sort of thing was reserved for bonded partners, all other presents given at Long Night were supposed to be simple things. Darra picked up on his nervousness and arched one dark, elegant brow at him as she took the box and opened it. Inside was a simple hand-carved wooden bracelet. Whatever had been done to it had turned the wood a light silvery-gray that went wonderfully with her outfit and she smiled brightly as she slid it onto her wrist.

"It's wonderful." She said, handing him the thin box she'd had in her own pocket. Jake opened it to reveal a pendant hanging from a chain, the charm was a flat piece of metal with his favorite constellation etched into it and washed to make them stand out brightly against the darker base. Grinning he lifted it from the box and over his head, where it settled against his chest.

"Thank you." He beamed and took her hand, tugging her out of the tent and into the bonfire's glow.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    This was really sweet. I liked the way you worked in a little explanation of the customs around Long Night gifts in a way that reveals more about the characters and how they see each other. Loved the thoughtfulness of each gift, and that they each found a way to make sure the other got something of special significance while still not "extravagant." =D= Great job of working it all into 500 words as well.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Your descriptions are beautiful imagery! I can really see what you are describing.

Great job!

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent to see Darra and Jake and such lovely, meaningful unextravagant gifts. Nonbonded partners ... hmmm. For now? [face_laugh] The mush nut in me had to ask. ;) I like the name for the festival "Long Night" :cool: And the celebration around a fire with a group of others, feels peaceful and happy-making, not like they're on edge and high alert anymore. :)

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Nice to see these two back! Their presents to each other were lovely but what I found really adorable is how their clothes and hairstyles match. It reminded me of your previous fic -- how they're two individuals but a single entity :)

Findswoman , Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Love your detailed descriptions of the clothing, the hair, and the festivities. Beautiful gifts (the silverware wood sounds really pretty), and like Ny says one of the biggest gifts for both of them here is just being able to relax and celebrate and enjoy the moment together. @};-

Kahara likes this.