main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Festival (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan) one post - humor

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by azizah, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Title: Festival
    Author: azizah
    Timeframe: JA
    Genre: humor
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Summary: Obi Wan is accused of malicious mischief and Qui Gon must decide what to do.
    Notes: I am cleaning house. This is a story I wrote quite awhile back for a Halloween challenge on another site and I decided to post it here.

Qui-Gon Jinn stood patiently, his arms folded into the sleeves of his cloak, a look of rapt attention on his face as he waited for the Prime Minister to finish speaking. To a casual observer, no, even to an acute observer he appeared to be intensely interested in the man's every word.

To his apprentice, the height of Qui-Gon's arms across his chest and the slight hunch in his shoulders would have betrayed his master's inattention at a glance. But Obi-Wan's eyes were firmly fixed on the floor as he stood silently at Qui-Gon's side, his own posture reading remorse and resignation.

Oh, how the man went on, Qui-Gon thought, ignoring the urge to stretch his limbs and reaching out with his mind instead. He was immediately met by Obi-Wan's distress. His young padawan was loath to disappoint him and his anxious, wordless apology hung in the air. But Qui-Gon did not waver. His feelings on the matter were undecided and he chose, in typical Jedi fashion, to wait.

Obi-Wan would survive a few more minutes of uncertainty, he had certainly survived worse.

The Prime Minister's anger and indignation rose and fell like cresting waves as he launched into each new tirade of the indignity he had suffered at the hands of Qui-Gon's thirteen year old apprentice.

Qui-Gon reached out further with his feelings, beyond the confines of the room, through the grand palace and the gardens beyond. Nothing stirred in the approaching dawn. He sensed no evil looming, no impending disaster and was amused at the brief tinge of regret he felt at the lack of prospect. He chided himself, did he really wish for some necessary action as a reprieve from the decision he would soon be required to make?

The decision. At first glance it seemed a minor one in the grand scheme of the galaxy. No lives were at stake. It did not involve disease, famine, war, or the survival of an entire planet.

He had only to decide how to discipline his padawan for an act that caused no real harm, except to the pride of a self important man.

Nothing really at all in the grand scheme of things, if the man had not been such an insufferable fool, and if Qui-Gon did not cling to his principals in even the smallest of things.

&&

The Jedi had been summoned ten days ago to the plant Cah'oon to resolve trade differences with a neighboring planet that had threatened to lead to war. Early in the negotiations Qui-Gon had realized that the neighboring planets harbored only minor differences and little ill will. The situation would have be easily resolved with the help of a mediator, had it not been for the arrogance and ambition of Cah'oon's Prime Minister.

Long days had passed slowly as the negotiations were delayed again and again by the Prime Minister's self important speeches and unreasonable demands. Qui-Gon could sense no real empathy in the man for the people under his rule. He cared for little beyond his importance and his title.

Today was the final day on which a new treaty could be enacted without disruption of existing trade practices. It was imperative that a new agreement be reached by midnight, but still the Prime Minister?s effrontery continued and negotiations did not progress.

It was a day no different from the nine previous days except in one regard. Today was the day of the festival.
    Cah'oon was famous for its autumn festival. A centuries old celebration held on the night of the first full moon of the harvest season.

The inhabitants of the planet, both young and old would dress in the ancient garb of their ancestors and wander the streets at night in honor of the dead. The great heroes of the past were the favorites among the children and the costum

2. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Very nice!
    I loved how Qui wanted some sort of disaster to happen in order to take his mind of giving out undue punishment!
    But now I am curous as to what took place at the festival that gave them such a high opinion of Obi!
    :D

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    That was great...

She reached for Obi-Wan's arm as well. "And your young apprentice has proved to be a remarkable judge of character for one so young. He has shown us that when we come together with a common purpose our petty differences bear no weight. We are indebted to him. His courage has inspired us on a course of change that has been long overdue."

Before Obi-Wan could think of what to say she turned and hurried toward the door calling over her shoulder, "You had best gather your things and come quickly. Your pilot is a Wookiee and it would not do to keep him waiting."

Qui-Gon turned and placed his hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder "Come padawan. It is time to go home."

"But Master, what about the Prime Minister?"

"I am sure the Prime Minister will soon have reason to forget whatever your involvement was in this evening's affair."

With a nod of his head Qui-Gon called Obi-Wan's attention to the trail of fresher paper attached the delegate's boot, streaming behind her as she walked.
    [face_love]

So, did Obi-Wan come up with the idea to join together in a little "demonstration" of unity?

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Poor Obi - just trying to have some fun and look at the trouble it caused.

Somehow I think the PM is getting exactly what he deserves!!

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

I bet Obi-Wan talked some sense into the people and took their eggs from them.[face_whistling]

She reached for Obi-Wan's arm as well. "And your young apprentice has proved to be a remarkable judge of character for one so young. He has shown us that when we come together with a common purpose our petty differences bear no weight. We are indebted to him. His courage has inspired us on a course of change that has been long overdue."

Well done Obi[face_dancing]

and well done azizah=D=

6. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Though listening to the Prime Minister drone on and on, he rather hoped Obi-Wan had gotten at least one good shot with an egg.
    [face_laugh] this was too funny :p

With a nod of his head Qui-Gon called Obi-Wan's attention to the trail of fresher paper attached the delegate's boot, streaming behind her as she walked.
    Who can blame the delegate... with a boss like that anyone would want to get even :p [face_laugh]

This was very funny, good job =D=

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ha!!! Very funny viggie azizah. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, I do wonder what long overdue course of change that Obi-Wan has inspired? [face_mischief] And I wonder where he got the eggs? But it was nice of the other delegates, who didn't like that prime minister, TP'ed the same house, in sympathy for Obi-Wan it seems. Very amusing.

9. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

Hilarious, azizah! =D= Nice job!

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    What an amazing look inside Qui-Gon's head. I think nailed his peaceful, comtemplative, nature, but also his unique ability suffer fools.

He had only to decide how to discipline his padawan for an act that caused no real harm, except to the pride of a self important man.

The crux of the matter. I enjoyed the struggle inside Qui-Gon on how to maintain the peace in this convoluted situation. I'm just glad that, ultimately, it was a moot point.

I also wanted to comment on the wonderful flow of your narrative. For a vig with little dialogue, I found this an easy enjoyable read.

11. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Great little story. Love your characterizations!

12. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    brodiew - For a vig with little dialogue... ain't that the truth [face_laugh]. I sat down and wrote this in one sitting for a Halloween challenge awhile ago and was horrified to see when I finished that there was not a word of dialogue until almost the end, but it was late so I posted it anyway. Glad to know it reads ok.

ratna - thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.