main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Fett think-tank

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BelaLugosi, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelaLugosi

BelaLugosi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    Ok so there's got to be at least 4 of us who are working on Fett costumes. Perhapps we should get together and share ideas, techniques, etc. anyone else interested/able to contribute would of course be welcome. I don't know if there's already a costumer's meeting scheduel, but maybe we could do this once a month and do some actual cutting, grinding, welding, painting, stitching, etc.

I myself won't have a chance to do this until next month (finals- how exciting).

Post if you're interested or have comments, suggestions.

2. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I think that is a great idea! Perhaps we could plan something with Ken and do some vacuforming too!

3. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    We can try! This may be the only way I am able to actually start working on it!

4. JediMexx

JediMexx Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2004
    Ohh...count me in! Even if it is just to see how it is done.

5. Fett-BobaFett

Fett-BobaFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2004
    Sounds great. I just got my first Fett stuff in the mail today. I'm starting small, but I was still excited. I bought the aluminum studs for holding the chest/backplate and codpiece/butt armor together. I work some Saturdays so Sundays are better unless I know about 6 weeks ahead to schedule a Saturday.

6. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Cool, Colleen!
    As far as the vacu-forming, we pretty much are forced to go with styrene, since I am unable to find ABS without a textured finish on one side.
    The prices for High Impact PolyStyrene (HIPS) in town are $25 for 1/16" 4'x8' sheet, but they have a $50 minimum order amount. They don't stock 1/8" thick, but they can order it for $48 plus shipping, but that seems too expensive. I'm looking around on the web for better prices.
    Our stormtrooper armor seems to be mostly 1/16" thick... so I guess that's what we can use. I tried both, and 1/16" forms easier and with more detail.
    So, there we go!

7. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    count me in I'am ready to start,found a boba fett helmet
    at a yard sale $10 bones. after seeing Bela's, fett blaster. I am working on mine, props to Bela that is a
    cool copy. also looking at stroomtrooper armor $700 on
    ebay good or not good what do you guys think.

8. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Hey, Claw
    I think Jess and I paid $500-$550 for our armor... maybe it went up? I can put you in touch with the guy who sold me mine, he may still have the same prices...

9. BelaLugosi

Oct 28, 2004
    Sundays work best for me as well. if we're not having a FF meeting on the 19th maybe that would work? my place would work for the meeting, but my work space is pretty limited; it can be done, but it would suck. If one of you has a workshop that'd be best.

Here's what I've got done so far:

ESB FETT:
    + EE-3 blaster carbine (about 90% complete)
    + Helmet v 1.0 (this is complete but I don't like it, I'll be making another one)
    + Chest display (bought this online $75 but it looks AWESOME)
    + Jetpack kit (mark bradley version, not constructed)

Custom Mandalorian:
    + Sintra armor pieces cut out, NOT molded
    + Custom E-11 Blaster (about 90% complete)
    + Concept sketch of finsihed product: http://home.comcast.net/~cfranklin00/Imp/Imp-Concept.jpg

-

I'm dreading:
    + Gauntlet construction. This looks intimidating.
    + Backplate molding. haven't gotten a good blueprint and good reference photos are scarce when it comes to this piece.

*Edit: I'm sure most of you have at least visited http://tdh.prop-planet.com/ If not, go there and register. I am no expert, but everything I've learned so far, I've learned from their forum. ask questions, I've encountered some very knowledgable people on there.

Ok. so lets talk about where to meet. You've all got my opinion on my place. who's got a garage?

10. Bloodclaw65

Nov 3, 2004
    Ok TK166 if you could $550 sounds better thank's

11. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    I've got some gauntlets, pretty good detail-wise, but they are cracked... I was gonna make a mold and re-do them...
    Sundays are the only day I can do it, too...

I have the garage we can use, but I've got to tell you, I don't have anything to bring to the table for a costume workshop... It would be cool to hang out with everyone, but how could we get anything done unless we were all working on the same part of the costume at the same time together? Or do we all just do our separate things in the same room?

12. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Joseph,
    Contact John Orndorf, the CO of the Mountain Garrison. I believe he has a lead on someone selling armor for even less. You can get his email from his profile.

501st Mountain Garrison

13. Bloodclaw65

Nov 3, 2004
    Thank's Jess I e-mailed him. thanks for the info

14. Fett-BobaFett

Oct 2, 2004
    Christov, I tried to email those ebay pics of back plate armor to you, but all messages came back undelivered. Is your mailbox full?

As far as the workshop, Sundays are better for me, except I was hoping the xmas party would be 12/19 as I am working 12/18. I am booked 12/19 for brunch with my OT buddies whom I see once a year. Ken, I see your point on the workshop. It would be great if we could all work on one component at a time, but some are farther along than others. Even so, it would be great to be together and give each other pointers and ideas.
    I have a 2 car garage where I can put the cars outside that day. I have a new dremel that I don't know how to use. (yet)

15. Fett-BobaFett

Oct 2, 2004
    Excuse my ignorance, but how different are the ESB gauntlets from the ROTJ? Which ones do you have Ken? Can we seal up the cracks and vaccuform them? Does anyone have a line on what colors to paint them? Maybe we can do the gauntlets together. Unless we have the xmas party 12/19, I can do the Fett-shop that afternoon.

16. BelaLugosi

Oct 28, 2004
    The ROTJ gauntlets are colored and shaped differently. Wish I could tell you more, but there are NO good blueprints out there for these. The 19th should work for me. Even if the potluck is the same day, I don?t see any reason why the two should have to over-lap.

Colleen, I'm receiving mail just fine. Check my email address in my profile to verify that you're sending it to the correct one.

17. Bloodclaw65

Nov 3, 2004
    The 19th is cool for me that be great to work on items
    for fett armor.

18. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    19th works for me too!

19. Bloodclaw65

Nov 3, 2004
    Thanks Gecko_Fett, John said because you sent me he was
    going to give me a great deal $450.00 for the armor thanks again.

20. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Awesome! That is a heck of a deal! I may have to dig out my ski mask and .45 and make some withdrawls! :p

21. Fett-BobaFett

Oct 2, 2004
    OK guys, the xmas party is set for Saturday, so are we good for Sunday 12/19 for a Fett-shop? I'm free after noon. Do we have an agenda (i.e. vacuu-forming, etc.?)

22. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Sunday sounds good to me also....but I will be suffering from a beef, turkey, green chile hangover from the night before.....

23. BelaLugosi

Oct 28, 2004
    Sunday is green for me as well. Afternoon works, but I'm able to start in the morning if anyone else is.

As far as agenda, maybe the best thing would be for everyone to bring their projects and we can compare notes, techniques, etc. I'm sure we've all hit a few snags that we can help eachother out of. I have got lots of painting to do, and I just bought an airbrush kit, maybe I can try it out then. Might be a good time to share reference photos, etc. I'll burn what I've got onto CDs for people who want them.

Hangover? Only if the food is cooked with alcohol. pffffffff! ROTFLMFAO Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

24. BelaLugosi

Oct 28, 2004
    Ken-

Any chance we can do the liquid latex thing with your bucket and gauntlets?

I would be willing (if everyone else would chip in equally) to pay the difference of whatever you paid for the original items.

This $*^#'s just too damned expensive. I found a gauntlet kit online for $100 on ebay. thats extortion.

Are you planning on attending the construction meeting?

25. JediMexx

JediMexx Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2004
    Sounds good for me as well.

Jess -- can you bring your dremel tool....please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.