main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NorthEast FF awards Pittsburgh comicon - still scheduled !!! YAY!!!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I was just informed by the Pittsburgh chapter that the pittsburgh comicon has not booked any SW guests and appear to have no desire too. The promoter have largely accommadated Adult Entertainment this time around.

The pittsburgh chapter doesnt feel it would be a good place to host the awards. What cons do we have coming up this year that we can attempt to book/plan these awards? Anyone have any suggestions?

I am sorry for the announcement , I just received this today...... Im not excited about scrambling now for a con however I have faith that we should find a suitable city soon :)

Thanks for everyones support on this :)

2. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    As I told Strawbary we in the Pittsburgh fan force are very sad that we will not be able to host the fan force awards at this year?s Pittsburgh Comicon. We have tried to persuade them to book some Star Wars guests, but as Strawbary mentioned if appears that they no longer have desire to do so. We are told that they are trying to get some Star Wars guests, but we are not holding our breath and believe this to be the best course of action.

Perhaps I overstated this to Strawbary, but I should emphasize that the show is not moving towards Adult Entertainment. However, the Comicon does book adult film stars to appear and in doing so it seems to be of more importance then booking Star Wars guests, which baffles me.

3. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Thanks for your post and clarifying this for myself and everyone.

I know we should be able to find a suitable con soon :)

4. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    That's too bad. I'd be surprised if they don't announce a Star Wars guest, but I guess stranger things have happened. Has someone spoken to the promoters? Told them that chapters from all over the NE region would be sending attendees their way if they would just add a Star Wars guest?

Pittsburgh was the only NE con I was planning on attending this year. The only other con I am planning for is Fan Expo in Toronto in August.

Here's a few other cons that I can think of:

Wizard World Philly in June might have SW guests.
    Shore Leave in July in Baltimore will probably not have SW guests.
    Wizard World Boston in October might have SW guests.
    Chiller in October in NJ will probably have SW guests.
    Big Apple Con in November in NYC will probably have SW guests.

I could probably list many more cons that probably won't have SW guests, but I'm not sure if that will help or not. And, although having the awards ceremony at a con that has Star Wars guests is an added draw, I think an equally large factor that should be considered is having the awards hosted in a city with enough FanForcers interested in putting in the volunteer hours to make it a success.

~Doc_Bev

5. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with you Nicky. I am not concerned too much with the SW guests aspect as much as I am location/FF attendance and most inportantly Volunteer participation.

The awards takes a great deal or volunteer work across the board and thats what i am looking for.

I do not mind still having it in pittsburgh if the chapter is still willing to host it.
    Otherwise my vote honestly will be dragon con this year or a summer con period.

I just need to know ASAP since I will need to schedule time off ahead of time from work.
    I may have to convince the SE RSA to do an awards as well and combine the entertainment ;)

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I believe that greencat talked to the promoters about other fan forces wanting to come in for the event, but I don't think it mattered :(

7. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I will check to see if the other still wouldn't mind hosting it.

8. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    What a shame! Pittsburgh was still close enough for us to drive to and looked to be a lot of fun.

Hopefully we can work something out and still get together for the awards! [face_praying]

9. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    personally I still think we should try to do it there if everyone wants to attend. Bottomline is we need to attach the awards to a con in order to get the FF draw. I dont believe anyone will drive 100's of miles to just see me hand out awards ;)

There has to be a con or some sort of entertainment bonus there :)

If the pittsburgh con doesnt seem like it would interest enough FF members there to make the trek I personally dont blame them.

I think we should toss around some other cons ASAP while I try to work with Greencat and Fluke on some querks :)

10. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    There's also Super Mega Show in New Jersey in the spring, though they haven't announced a date yet. That had Star Wars guests last year. I'd have offered up the Boston Supermegafest, but that's a long drive for many of the other FanForces, and won't be until November, too late a show to have a 2005 awards dinner.

11. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I always forget about those for some reason...
    Yes, both Super Mega Show and Supermegafest have at least 2-3 SW guests it seems so it's likely that they'll have some again in the Spring.

~Doc_Bev

12. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    supermegashow in NJ is a toy show with a couple guests. Its usually in the same hotel as EFF. There might be room there for it. Chiller is advertsing a winter show right now after that show they might announce another show.

There is also nycomiccon on feb 24-26. Right now they have listed that kevin smith will be there. That might work to bring in more people.

http://www.nycomiccon.com

That's about all the shows in this area i can think of.

BTW: personally I'd still go to pittcomicon but i don' know how many others would.

13. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I too would still go to Pittsburgh Comicon as I have an interest in some of the comic book guests that are going to be there.

I also just realized (now that they're back from the printer) that all the fliers I had made up for the FF banquet this weekend advertise the awards being at PCC. :oops: I'm not sure if I'll have time to make up new ones at this point...

~Doc_Bev

14. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    honestly with an venue change feb just doesnt give me enough notice to finish the awards and entertinment planning ;)

I think spring may be a better time. the dates arent announced yet though?
    I think alot of people would attend NJ..... Im not fond of the hotel there..........long story.... at any rate if we could get dates then we can move forward.

In the meantime I will continue to make trophies and gather photos :)

15. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    i know there's been some talk about having the awards at chiller in NJ here's the latest update off of their website. I'll keep you guys posted on any additional news about chiller and other possible venues in NJ.

NEWS! Due to finding a new location, there's talk undergoing that the APRIL show might be pushed to JUNE this year.[/i]

16. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    June always works for me weather wise with transporting the trophies etc. ;)

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I think we can CANCEL the emergency and continue to hold the FF awards at Pittsburgh Comicon.

I just received an email today from Renee George in which she states that they already have 1 Star Wars guest signed on (Bonnie Piesse) and are hoping to confirm more at the end of the month.

She is also looking forward to FanForce hosting the awards at their convention as well as a costuming panel. This was all in response to an email I sent to PCC asking "I was curious if you were going to be getting any celebrities from the Star Wars universe at your convention this year."

Please folks let's not abandon PCC! I think this con will be THE perfect venue for the awards and I am willing to do whatever I can to make this endeavor a success. Who's with me?! :D

~Doc_Bev

18. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    I have no problem with PCC. Due to this thread was the reason I started persuing other venues for the awards. I'd love to go to pittsburgh for the awards.

19. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Sounds good, what ever Convention it is ill have to see how work flies that weekend. But I'll try to make it where ever even if its just for the awards show.

20. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    as I stated before I never had a problem with holding them there. I would have never have agreed to have them there in the first place if I didnt. However this thread is in response to Flukes PM to me. Due to the amount of time and money I invest in the awards its always good to ensure there will be a decent crowd ;)

Again, I will restate - I dont mind holding them there even with ine guest confirmed as long as there will be a decent FF attendance regardless. Remember people have to WANT to go there.

I would still like to hear from others to confirm their interest in going. :)

Can everyone post who is planning on going? I agree this is a great location for everyone.... :)

Thanks for your support!

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    KnightShade and I are planning to attend PCC and I hope to get at least 3 more from my FF to make the trip down as well.

~Doc_Bev

22. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I'll double check with the boss and see who else is interested in going from Buffalo.

23. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    i know there is at LEAST 5 from NJFF planning on going out to PCC for the awards!

24. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I'll probably attend the awards myself if I can get away for the weekend.

25. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Hiya,

I spoke with Renee George this evening and she not only confirmed that 'Young Beru' would be attending the PCC, but that she was working on getting a few other SW celebs to come also.

We Pittsburgh folks would very much love to have yunz all come out to hang with us! We're planning on doing four panels throughout the weekend (Collecting -- hopefully with the PA SW Collecting folks, Costuming -- hey Bev, still interested in helping on that one?, Building a lightsaber, and The Tragedy of SW -- The PT as Classic Greek Tragedy.)

The next step for my part of the planning will be the arrangements for the Banquet where Strawbary will hand out her awards. But I'm going to have to know a ballpark figure of folks planning on coming and if folks want dinner (which is going to be at least $20 - $25) or just snacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.