Oceania FF Oceania banner contest!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by HawkNC, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    What would she rather you read Dan?

Franz Fanon? o_O

E_S
  2. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    *cough* KJA *cough* ;)
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    What has Frantz Fanon got to do with KJA?

E_S
  4. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What's wrong with Fanon?
  5. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What's wrong with Franz Ferdinand?

What? Don't look at me like that!!

:p
  6. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm partial to the idea of our banner featuring Oceanic Airways. ;)
  7. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I think you are well aware of the criticisms levelled against Frantz Fanon, Dan. :p ;) Next you'll be making trumpted up charges of unfair dismissal in an ACTU ad, only to get owned a day later. :p

Kart, what has a dead Austrian got to do with a North African educated in France?

E_S
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, I'm not a huge fan of Fanon's thoughts on violence, but his writings on decolonialism are essential.
  9. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    What, achieving decolonisation through violence?

He was just angry those stuck up honkies in Paris didn't listen to him because of his skin colour. He should have known that the French don't listen to anyone; it's not ethnic, they're just stuck up.

E_S
  10. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Look, this is all well and good, but unless Fanon's going on the banner I really don't care. :p
  11. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Whatever Nathan, this has turned into serious political discussion. :p

Ender, if you think Fanon's writing as just about achieving deconolisation through violence, then you are sadly mistaken indeed. Without him, the ideas of Black Consciousness, Black Power and Pan-Africanism would never have been so potent. Steve Biko, a pacifist, was a follower of Fanon, so obviously he didn't just contribute violence. Fanon's greatest ideas related to the internalisation of colonialism, and the many forms that it took other than simple oppression.
  12. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7

You know what's gonna happen now...

[image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/xutraa/fanon.gif]
  13. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nice one, Skatey. You mak me proud. :D
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    You would say that, hatin' brothers as you do. Honky.

E_S
  15. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    I'm from Hong Kong? :confused:

I'm extending the deadline for two weeks since there are a couple of designs in the works. Get 'em in!
  16. Amaya_Unduli Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, here's one in two styles. Can't say I'm particularly happy with either, but it's the due date so...

Oh, and please ignore the colour scheme for the board, I didn't have time to make a decent one.

www.cyberartspace.com/FFTas/testpage1.html

www.cyberartspace.com/FFTas/testpage2.html
  17. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    You do have a bit of extra time, should you want it. ;)
  18. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    No, not all his work was about violence but he saw liberation and self-determination in a fundamentally different light to, say, Woodrow Wilson.

However, Les Damnes de la Terre makes it clear Fanon believes violence against colonials is both essential and a form of catharsis. His emphasis on the lowest levels of the proletariat (a group even Marx didn't embrace) as the key group for expelling colonials again, is worrysome. He's essentially saying the best way to liberate a society from colonialism is through both violence and the use of the criminal underclass. One can't discount his psychiatric evaulations on the influence of nationalism on revolutionary thought, sure; but Fanon did make a huge chunk of his work on anticolonialism in Les Damnes de la Terre about the use of violence.

Ultimately, though, it's Hawk trying to keep brothers down which is most distressing.

E_S
  19. Amaya_Unduli Jedi Knight

star 3
    Phew!

BTW, what do you guys think of it thus far? Be as brutal as you want - I would like to make it into a decent banner.
  20. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Needs more Johnnagage!

E_S
  21. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All this banner talk needs it's own thread. Please get back on topic (Franz Fanon) please! :p

So essentially, Ender, you agree with me: Fanon made a hugely important contribution to the decolonial movement, violence aside.

I have to disagree here. Even though he advocates violence, it strikes me very much as a means to an end. Even if Fanon is as bloodthirsty as you make him out to be, he'd have to be truly mad to believe that the colonialised had the forces to violently remove the colonisers. No, violence was a means to an end, and that end was consciousness and self-confidence.
  22. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
  23. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Of course he made a huge influence; he was read by a large swarth of people from Euro-leftist intellectuals to Lumumba to the Pentagon.

For my part, I'd actually rate Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism above Les Damnes De Le Terra in terms of influence on decolonisation.

Silly banner spammers.

E_S
  24. MarvinTheMartian Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let me end this discussion by saying: Commies go home!

There :)
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    :rolleyes: Such a nub, Marv.

E_S
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.