main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF Portugal Tourists & Visitors - Welcome to our Board.

Discussion in 'Archive: Portugal' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Nice post Alma :)

unfortunately WhiteHorse, the dates you picked are right on exam season! :_|
    Hmm... We must analise that then. I still think this are the best dates for visiting Lisbon. It's only 4 days.. a weekend.. To stress out from exams. :p Now, really.. must analyse that, we don't want ppl from europe saying no because of their exams.. Skiara, is 11-14 June exam season for you?
    Lady_Jedi_Carenix, and in the USA? is it exam season also?

That's really something that isn't good for the event. But it would be really bad/sad to miss all the festive season. Of course that we have still a lot to visit even if not in June, but if in 11-14 june it would be really something to all to remember. :)
    I said 11 to 14 June, being the 11 and 14 for arrival and departing of the visiting FF's. Leaving the real party and fun for 11 (friday night), 12 (saturday day and night), 13 (sunday day and night).

For sleeping, the visitors could use the "pousadas da juventude" (youth hotels) that are not very expensive when compared with a normal hotel. And the "Epoca Baixa" (low season with cheaper prices) finishes in 15 June, so 11-14 would really make a great date. The price of being in a Youth Hotel inside the Nations Park "Parque das Nações"(very nice zone) would be 10 euros per person/night in a multiple beds room. In the case you would prefer a 2 persons room (with private W.C.) the price would be 28 per room/night.
    There would be a reservation tax that could go from 1,50 euros (less than 10 persons - individual tax) to 7,50 euros (more than 10 persons - group tax) depending on the number of reservations.

You can find these details in here

This Youth Hotel is located at 5 minutes (walking) from the "Oceanário de Lisboa" (Europe's largest aquarium) that was built for the World Fair EXPO '98, after 1998 the "Expo 98" was then turned into the "Parque das Nações" (Nations Park). The Oceanarium is really a must see as it represents the seas from all the world. :)
    [image=http://www.igd.fhg.de/igd-a4/projects/oceanarium/images/content-large.gif]

--- Edit: ---

As for the trips i've checked the prices (i used 14-16 June 2003 as a referency) in the Usit agency (i used the French site for a "local" point of view) and from Paris to Lisbon (with return) 149 euros + taxes. This price is for a non-student, adult (more than 25 years old).
    "Usit" really has good prices and i already used this company more than once.
    They have special prices for students and "younger than 25" ppl. :)
    (OMG I'm getting old! i'm 24! :_| )

I could not check prices in the Britain and Germany sites version because they where down. But there are Usit agencys there also.

2. AlmaMavisTaraza

AlmaMavisTaraza Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2002
    and if youth hostels ain't your thing, there is always the ritz ;)

my exam season starts on the 9th of june...i hope the exam calendar this semester won't be as suicide-inducing as the last one, where i had four exams in as many consecutive days. it wasn't pretty :eek:

anyway, nice pic you found WhiteHorse! :)
    next to the oceanário, a bit to the right and above, you can see a shiny silvery thing...that's a huge pavillion/concert hall called...atlantic pavillion! :D
    it's actually a darker grey, and it looks a LOT like the Senate on Coruscant :eek:
    it was built for the 98 world fair too...i wonder who copied who ;) :D :p
    you be the judge:
    [image=http://www.starwarsonline.net/files/senate.jpg]

[image=http://www.portugaloffer.com/mesquita_filhos/mesquita_a.jpg]

and one from the air:
    [image=http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~jpnunes/AMIII/whyam3/pavilhaoatlantico.jpg]

3. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Whoa! :eek:
    I was 3 days off and this place is, too, filled. I don't have a life to rethink.
    Some kind of meeting in P-gal? Hmm.. It's only across half the continent. And a few hundred ? ticket. Argh, why is my beach frozen? Maybe I'll go to sauna and jump in snow naked for a while, that's always fun [face_laugh]

Someone mentioned german & Rammstein: Das ist ganz komisch musik. "You have asked me, but I haven't answered." [face_laugh]. I just talked german with my co-worker yesterday. For 2 hours. Strange.

4. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Skiara: I know that syndrom very well. [face_plain] ;)

Its nice to know some syndromes are international. ;) [face_laugh]

WhiteHorse: OMG I'm getting old! i'm 24!

You're not old. 8-} Not until you turn thirty will you be old. ;)

My final exams are actually in May, but I think it may be different for other universities. :)

AlmaMavisTaraza: [face_shocked] Whoa. There's a definate resemblance there. :)

ISD_Devastator: I don't have a life to rethink.

Well maybe you should go home and think about why you don't have a life to rethink about. 8-} :)

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    OMG I'm getting old! i'm 24! and This price is for a non-student, adult (more than 25 years old).
    What should I say? ?[face_plain] I turned to 25 some days ago. ;) :p

I don't know what will on the 11th - 14th of June 2004. Perhaps I will have finished my university, perhaps I will studying, perhaps I will be working, perhaps I will be unemployed.
    I really do not know!

The only think I know is, that I want to go to the olympic games at Athen 2004 to work there. But I do not know if it will be possible for me.
    And the games will be in august. ;)

6. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Whoa!
    I was 3 days off and this place is, too, filled. I don't have a life to rethink.

Yeah, you should come here once a day. :)
    Half a continent, it's just 3 or 4 hours by airplane. And yes, air tickets aren't free. But neither are they to anywhere, no matter if it is Paris, Lisbon, or other city. No way to work around that, either one can pay a air ticket, or he can't. [face_plain] But searching well (for prices), and saving some money over the months one can go to Paris, Lisbon, etc... :)

Well maybe you should go home and think about why you don't have a life to rethink about.
    LOL [face_laugh]

You're not old. Not until you turn thirty will you be old.
    Yeah, i want to see you say that when you are 25 years old :p ;)
    But tks for the support :D

My final exams are actually in May, but I think it may be different for other universities
    ISD_Devastator,
    What about you? When are your Exams?

I turned to 25 some days ago.
    Congrats!!! :D
    [image=http://www.thecharliehorse.com/promo/images/birthday_cake.gif]
    Happy B-day! :)

Best of luck for 2004 :)

7. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    Uh, I had my (latest) exams 3 years ago... I applied to school last year, but I was too dumb. Maybe this year.
    Why this 3 year gap? Mandatory military training <shrudders>.
    And what was I going to study? Information Technology - Engineer. Not sure about the more specific information, but IT it is. I'm not a university-type.

I'd visit tFn every day, but I had migraine, and it makes funny things to my eyes. Can't stare at this frillin' machine.

8. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    hello, i'm alma. i'm almost 22 years old and i looooove tremoços [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]
    *cue weird looking but tasty portuguese food*
    [image=http://primeirasedicoes.expresso.pt/ed1397/fot/f1-v161-hdt.jpg]
    [image=http://primeirasedicoes.expresso.pt/ed1397/fot/f2-v161-het.jpg]

according to google, it has some medicinal value. but beware, it's more potent *ahem* than beans [face_laugh] [face_blush]
    it is usually consumed with beer. but i don't like beer...so i eat more tremoços! :D

well...time for class :_|
    *runs off*

9. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Tremoços! :_|

I love them! Not with beer, but... with fresh Guaraná... *sigh* bliss... [face_blush]

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Does anybody know the german word for Tremoços? ?[face_plain]

11. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    hm... nope... :(

I don't know the english one either, now that I think of it. o_O;

12. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    hmmm the really old portuguese-english dictionary i have says that tremoço translates as "lupine seeds". so the tremoceiro (plant that gives us that solid nectar of the Gods, the tremoço :D) is a lupine :p
    dunno about german though :_|
    the species of the plant is Lupinus albus L., of the Leguminosae family :)
    so i guess it's a kind of bean.... ?[face_plain]
    the pics in my post above show it already prepared though. i suppose it looks different "raw". the tremoços are soaked in water (with salt, i think ?[face_plain]) for several days (the water should be changed about once a day...i think :p)... they're slightly crunchy when you eat them, so i think that's about it :p
    you're supposed to keep them in shallow salted water, or they'll go dry and won't be as good :p

13. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Once again, good post and description Alma. :)

So, the rest of you... do you think you are enjoying or getting to know a, for you, new culture?

14. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    Beer is bad. Don't drink beer.

15. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    Beer is bad. Don't drink beer.

Absolutely! I really don't like anything that has alcohol in it... it just tastes *so* bad... o_O;

16. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    I second that, ISD and Mara. Alchoolic beverages plainly suck. :p

But tremoços... Hmm... Now there is somehting yummy!

Whenever my parents went to a Cervejaria to eat sea-food, like prawns or big crabs, I'd always take all the tremoços for myself, as I dind't like the sea-food... :D

We Portuguese have a crazy traditional diet, to anyone who hasn't realized it yet. It's very varied, but it tends to extremes...

17. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Latino food :p

P.S.- I also don't have drinking habits. (neither smoke habits) :)

18. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    anya...you don't like sea food?? :eek:
    then i'm not the only one!!! i'm so happy :_| :_| :_|

i asked my grandmother how tremoços are prepared...it's much more complicated than i thought :eek:
    first you harvest the things when they're dry. aparently they are exactly like beans: they're inside this cocoon like thing which i don't know the name for in english :p
    we call it a vagem, and i found a pic of soy's vagem for example:
    [image=http://www.fundacaomeridional.com.br/vagem1.jpg]
    anyway. after you harvest the vargems you have to put them somewhere sunny for a couple of days in order for them to be completely dehidrated. then you grab a big stick and you beat the hell out of them! the idea is to seperate the tremoços from the vagem :p
    after the poor fruits of that noble plant have endured a severe beating, it's time to separate the good stuff (the tremoços) from the bad stuff (the vagem). to do this, you pick up the mix and thrown it in the air. the vagem is really dry and light, and the wind blows it away (this step must be done outside, of course :p). so, now we have yummy tremoços, right? wrong! :_|
    now we have to soak them in water for 2-3 days! :p
    the soaking makes the tremoços swollen, and therefore bigger and with that cute round shape [face_love] . the water should be changed if it becomes dirty or stale. after that, the poor tremoços are thoroughly washed and then boiled in water containing a little cloth bag full of ash (yes, that thing wood becomes when burned :eek:..it's supposed to give the tremoços a nice color :)) for about 3 hours.
    then the tremoços are thoroughly washed again and soaked in water again for around 8 days. my grandmother used a well, but running water (a creek, for example) is better.
    after that time, they're washed yet again and then usually soaken in salt water for awhile (the time in the salt water depends on how salty you want them ;) )
    and that's it! it's a lot of work :D
    now, it is time to honour the tremoço and the pains it suffered to reach our tables! [face_laugh]
    *grabs a big bowl of tremoços and plays simcity 4*

19. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    I also am not a fan of sea food.
    I NEVER eat crabs or anything like it.

I did not know that tremoços had so much work to get done.
    How the hell did they reach that "formula"? That's a milestone on my book. :p

Simcity 4? = Evilllll.
    Get away! :p

20. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    Fish is not food.

btw, I said only, that BEER is bad, nothing about other alcoholic beverages... It's just beer, the finnish national liquid, that I hate.

No comment on SC4, but you all should play Fallout2! <puts some activated C4 in a little kid's pockets, runs away.... KaBoom!>
    :D

21. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    i would play fallout2, if i could find it :D

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Good morning, everyone! :)

I am at my university and that's why I haven't much time. ;)

But my 2 Cents... ;)

If I had some time I would like to play Neverwinter Nights. ;)
    Till now I only started the game a few times and not for long. [face_plain] ;)

Cya later! :)

23. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    Oh, good morning.
    University? Wow.
    I'm at home, having my winter vacation. A paid vacation!

24. DarkWoman

Jan 31, 2002
    If I had some time I would like to play Neverwinter Nights.
    Till now I only started the game a few times and not for long.

NwN rocks! :D I've never finished it either. I think my most advanced save (which I hope is still arround here somewhere :p) was from the 3rd chapter. I haven't played in months... Someday I'll finish it.... I hope. [face_blush]

ISD: you're on vacations? I've started classes last week. :_|

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    NwN is really cool! :) But I don't know if I will finished it sometime, because I only finished only one game yet and I have started a lot games! ;)

Yes, I was at my university because of my diploma thesis. ;) But next week this part of the thesis will be over and I have some "freetime" of the university. [face_plain] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.