main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF Portugal Tourists & Visitors - Welcome to our Board.

Discussion in 'Archive: Portugal' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    ISD, can you describe "Karelian Pastry" and show some pics? :)

LJC, congrats in your A! :D

Native American art work incorporated into various things (such as on the walls next to the freeway in some places).

you mean Grafitti?? ?[face_plain]

Skiara... 5 seasons??? ?[face_plain]
    That's new to me.. I heard of places with 2 seasons instead of 4, but 5..! that's really new to me. :)

We also have carnival here in Portugal, we also are going to have a FF meetting on carnival's day (i'm going to be a "modern vampire"), but Carnival isn't a season for us, just an holiday. Like Easter.

And can you talk more about that "halve hahn" ? and perhaps a picture or 2? :D

Your description reminded me a little our "Açorda" wich is made of bread, flavoured along with salad oil, garlic and sweet herbs. One can also had: eggs and other ingredients, as a codfish, shellfish, etc.. May look weird... but it's yummy. :p

[image=http://www.cm-constancia.pt/fotos/gastronomia/acorda_ovas.jpg]

2. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Kar.Pstry: strange rye-stuff with some rice porridge in it. Small bread-like, hand-sized 'things'. Looks like a church-boat. Can't find pics, don't have a digicam / scanner to make any, and I really don't have anyplace to put them, if I got 'em.

Then there's something called 'kalakukko' (also EU protected) in northern Finland. It's again, rye-stuff and it's filled with fish. The name suggests that it contains also some chicken, but because I haven't ever seen (or eaten) any, I can't be sure.

I could try to find some proof of these things, but don't hold your breath.

In the midsummer, we have a holiday called Juhannus (mid summer eve?), when the sun doesn't go down at all. Bonfires in the night all around the country. People getting drunk everywhere all the time.
    One of the finnish traditions is, that any reason is good enough to get drunk. Badly.
    Strange, isn't it?

3. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    WhiteHorse: you mean Grafitti??

[face_laugh] Well, there's that too, but there's also art that's been purposely created by the city based on Native American designs on freeway walls as part of a "beautification" effort (and to discourage people from tagging the walls). :)

The closest thing that Arizona has to a carnival is the Arizona State Fair which is usually in the fall. We also have a Renassiance Festival that runs through February and March where you drive out to the middle of nowhere to see people dressed up in Renaissance costumes, and see the different shows that they put on (comedy acts, knights jousting, etc). I believe the Renassiance Festival travels from state to state, though I have no idea how many places it actually goes in te US. :)

Hey, there's actually a forum annoucenment now! :D I have no clue what it says, though. [face_blush] [face_laugh]

4. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    "In the midsummer, we have a holiday called Juhannus (mid summer eve?), when the sun doesn't go down at all. Bonfires in the night all around the country."

ISD_Devastator, that seems a nice event.. Except for the drunk part. :p :)
    Would love to see a day were the sun goes down, but not totally.. and then back up. :)
    Must be cool to watch. :) It would be something diferent for majority of us. :)

"art that's been purposely created by the city based on Native American designs on freeway walls as part of a "beautification" effort (and to discourage people from tagging the walls)."

Lady Jedi Carenix, i guess i now understand what you mean. :) My city tried something similar in a road that passes bellow a bridge. The bridge walls normally was full of panflets of publicity, some of them reall old, and falling out, etc. It wasn't at all pretty. So the city made a primary school project, and all the kids made drawings in mosaic, and the all the mosaic work was putted on those walls, filling them. :) I think it was a nice idea, no one has the guts to put publicity on top of the kids mosaics. :)

"We also have a Renassiance Festival that runs through February and March where you drive out to the middle of nowhere to see people dressed up in Renaissance costumes, and see the different shows that they put on (comedy acts, knights jousting, etc). I believe the Renassiance Festival travels from state to state, though I have no idea how many places it actually goes in te US."

I think i saw that on the TV. :) But i still don't know why ppl choose to drive to the middle of nowhere. :p

"Hey, there's actually a forum annoucenment now! I have no clue what it says, though."

Well, i tried babelfish and it kinda of translated it.. :p
    --> Meeting FanForce Portugal in the day of Carnival (click to make the registration)

A more correct translation will be:
    FanForce Portugal meeting on Carnival's day (click here to sign up)

5. AlmaMavisTaraza

AlmaMavisTaraza Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2002
    hmmm.... i think there's a bit of confusion here :p
    if i remember my english correctly, ( :p) a carnival is like a fair, with merry-go-rounds, sweets, games, rides, and maybe even a circus! :D
    (white: think feira popular ;) )
    while we do have a permanent carnival (if only open about half the year :p and in VERY expensive land - lots of people want it outta there :eek:) we also have what we call carnaval, or mardi-gras in french ;)
    people dress up in costumes and play pranks, throw confettis and just have fun :D
    i think it's celebrated all around europe ?[face_plain]
    and in brazil! they have this huuuuuge parade and people dance...with very little clothes on! :D
    (yeah...well...it's hot there... [face_blush] )
    in venice they wear these really elegant masks and outfits :)
    about renaissance fairs...i don't know if we ever had any. but we do have medieval fairs sometimes! :p
    they're usually designed to give the kids some fun history lessons...where it all happened! :D
    never been to one though :_|

EDIT: i just noticed...i'm addicted to smileys!! :eek: [face_blush] :D

6. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    The sun-un-set is supposedly a great thing to see, in may 2001 I was in Lapland, and in the last day (or night) the sun went only behind the treeline, it didn't disappear completely and then it went back up again. It was strange. And Juhannus is about 2 months after that time,
    so the sun really stays in the sky. All night long.
    Of course the opposite is in the winter. I was (last 2 weeks of october 2001) in Lapland, and the sun shined only about 2 hours in the day.
    Rest of the time was dark.
    Because those 5 weeks (3 in spring, 2 in winter) in Lapland were a part of my so-called military training, I hated them.
    The only good memory is that almost nightless night. It was almost beautyful: no clouds, clear vision for about 30 km, great landscape,
    snowy hills in the horizon (in May!?!). Aaah. :)

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    people dress up in costumes and play pranks, throw confettis and just have fun
    And throwing candies at the many parades of carnival! :D
    Today it just started "again"... ;) The fifth season starts "officially" at the 11th November at 11:11 am! And the most popular time here in Germany starts today and lasts till next wednesday! ;)

I am sorry, but there is not good picture of halve Hahn. [face_plain]

I've heard about that nightless nights in Lapland, but I haven't seen it yet. But I wish I could, I think it would be very intersting! :)

8. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    AlmaMavisTaraza: Ah, there was a little carnival confusion. Thanks for clearing it up. :) And there's nothing wrong with being addicted to smileys! ;) :D [face_laugh] :) :) :) :D :D

WhiteHorse: But i still don't know why ppl choose to drive to the middle of nowhere.

To go party in the desert! 8-} Seriously, though, I would guess that the land the Renaissance Festival is held on is the cheapest land the organizers could get their hands on, and its where they've built buildings for the festival; so at least in Arizona, if you want to go to the Reniassance Festival, you pretty much have to drive out to the middle of no where.

Thanks for the translation. ;)

Skiara: The fifth season starts "officially" at the 11th November at 11:11 am!

So are people going to be really excited in 2011? (11/11/11 at 11:11 am) :confused: ;)

ISD_Devastator: Nightless nights in Lapland sounds very interesting... [face_shocked]

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I think you are right, LJC! :)
    Everyone (almost everyone) will be celebrate that date and the beginning of the 5th season much more than normal. ;)

10. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Also a curious date is aproaching...
    03d/03m/03y 03h:03m:03s.03cs

:p

I got a bit confussed about these festings and seasons, but i am quite enjoying talking about it, great cultural exchange :)
    Skiara, what are you celebrating in more detail? What happens on those celebrations? What kind of things you do?

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh, that is very much to tell...
    Ok, not really, most people drink to much and act like that, everyone wear a costum and trying to be happy all the time. Sometimes it is really funny, but I believe everyone of you know how it looks like. ;)

I do not know the true cultural background.
    Only that on thursday it is allowed (because of the tradition) to cut all wearing ties! ;) :D
    And on wednesday at midnight a big puppy of straw will be burned. That is a symbol for the end of carnival.
    And in the meantime there will be lots of parades and you can gather much sweets! :D

White: Btw 03.03.03 isn't the same as 11.11.11 because there are two different numbers! ;) :p

12. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    If you don't require a 100% nightless night, you don't need to go as far as Lapland.
    Here in Helsinki Sector is almost as nightless as in Lapland. Almost.
    But it's an experience. I enjoyed it.

13. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    White: Btw 03.03.03 isn't the same as 11.11.11 because there are two different numbers!

[face_laugh]

If you don't require a 100% nightless night, you don't need to go as far as Lapland.
    Here in Helsinki Sector is almost as nightless as in Lapland. Almost.
    But it's an experience. I enjoyed it.

I'd definitly like to experience a without-darkness night. :) Finland is already on my 'places to go' list. :)

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I already visited Finland for three times, but always in the summer and far away of the time of the nightless nights! [face_plain] ;)
    But Finland was really nice! :D

15. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes Finland seems a interesting place to visit also :)

Skiara that there are 2 diferente numbers. but still is a interesting date... and 3 is a "mitological" number.
    03/03/03, 3 times 3. :p

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok, ok, you have the price! ;)
    Uhm... what price? ?[face_plain]

Doesn't matter! It's a cool and interesting date, too! ;) :D

17. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    uuhh...a night...with light! :D
    that must be really cool...like the aurora borealis! :)
    i don't know if i could stand the cold though...i freeze easily [face_blush]

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I freeze easily
    All you need are the perfect clothes! [face_mischief] :p
    Ok, I am freezing easily, too! No matter what clothes I wear! ;) :p

19. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    HAPPY CARNAVAL!!!!!!

I'm watching on TV, as i post this, the Brazilian Carnaval of São Paulo, live :)
    Click here to hear the Samba of Carnaval :)
    As you can feel, it's full of life!
    And if to hear is like this, imagine to see it! :)
    [image=http://car.i.uol.com.br/2003/album/aguiadeouro_f_007.jpg] [image=http://car.i.uol.com.br/2003/album/aguiadeouro_f_006.jpg] [image=http://car.i.uol.com.br/2003/album/aguiadeouro_f_042.jpg]
    (these pictures are from about 2 hours ago)

I realize that this is Brazilian and i am Portuguese.. buuttt... :)
    Portuguese and Brazilians are brothers in culture, in language, and in feeling :)
    The Joy of one, is the Joy of the other one. ;)
    For example, on soccer, Portuguese tend to support Brazil after they no longer can support their own team. :)

This Carnaval is 3 full nights of party! Being this one the first night (Friday night till Saturday morning). :cool:
    All night longgggg Dancing and parting!
    YEY!

* does some samba moves *
    :D

20. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    Alma, have you witnessed the Aurora Borealis? I have. Twice.
    Looks odd.

I want a Carnival!

21. AlmaMavisTaraza

Aug 29, 2002
    Alma, have you witnessed the Aurora Borealis?
    no, i've never left this hole! :_|
    *ducks rain of lightsabers*
    i mean, this wonderful country :D
    well...i've seen pictures of it...and documentaries....but watching it live must be waaaay better :D

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Today my family is out to carneval and I have to learn! :_| ;) :p

Perhaps I will watch tomorrow a bit of the big parade in cologne and maybe I will find some pics like White to show you a bit of colognes carnival. ;) :)

Do you have a call for carnival? We (in cologne) cry "Kölle Alaaf!". ;)
    Kölle is a slang word for Cologne! ;)

Have to go... see you later! ;)

23. ISD_Devastator

Oct 11, 2002
    AB's are neat. In the darkness of night: wobbling strange lights. Odd, and yet, somehow beautyful.

24. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    In Portugal and Brazil we call it Carnaval.

About the "Aurora Borealis", i would also like to lie down, look at the sky with someone and see them (the Aurora Borealis)... Would be a nice momment to keep and remember. :)

Our world, has some pretty things.. :)

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I think you are not the only one, White! That would be really nice! :) *dreams*

Good morning everyone! :)

Sorry, I have learnt the whole day yesterday so I missed the big parade in Cologne!

And now I have to put some books into my book list and then I have to go offline! ;)

Have a nice day everyone! :)

See you later! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.