main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK Midlands Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Happy Ninja, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    surely though if people live close to someone a lift could be arranged through pm`s? providing they are over 16 and a meet isnt arranged at a drinking establishment, as per Halibuts thread?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    If you're over 16, there's no probs in getting into a pub :D

3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, yes. I can't see any reason why that would be a problem. The only thing is, you will have to find out who is going where, and how.

As for what Hal was mentioning about the alcohol issue, I think what he said was valid.

What I might do is contact other City Rep's and see how they deal with situations such as this. Might give me some more insight on what is required.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just a heads-up. The first meet-up I organise will involve karaoke :D

5. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    DUDE ! I am like, so there! I wonder if we can get it for jairens B'day bash?......

6. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    "DUDE ! I am like, so there!"

DUDE! You are like, so on your own! :p

7. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I understand the problems regarding members under 16, let's be honest how many of us are qualified to offer supervision or would be willing to put themselves in that position ? I also think that Jangofett9's idea about using public events as meets is a good one however, I'm not sure how the organisers of these events will feel with us kind of taking over their show.
    Talking of events, I understand that Memorabillia is on at the N.E.C. again in August, how would you guys feel about making that one of our meet-up's for this year? I know it's a little pricey to get there and get in but I'm sure it's an event most of us would like to attend, even without a FFMids meet up, post your thoughts -

8. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    memorabilia sounds good. i would be up for that depending on work etc, but i cant see that being too much of a problem. i was at the last one and it was brilliant!

9. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    "If you're over 16, there's no probs in getting into a pub"

Yeah, like that's a concern around this area!o_O

You have a pulse? Yep? Okay, in you go! [face_plain]

Okay, "Memorabilia" is a possibility, and of course, August is still a decent amount of time to get ready. That's cool. Anyone got any more information on prices, etc...Is there a website we can check?

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If you're over 16, there's no probs in getting into a pub
    There is if you're under 18 :p

11. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    there is a website for memorabilia but i have no idea how to post the link (such a noob!)
    its www.memorabilia.co.uk (unbeleivable really)
    its still early doors for the show so there arent many details other than its in august. just have to keep watching for more details.

12. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, just checked it out. I think this is one I'll have to keep an eye on.

13. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    A meet-up sounds great, though I know that I am very busy throughout July/August/September filming. I have 2 short films, and 2 music videos to do in that period, so weekends are kinda out of it.

I have to admit that I really like the idea of a midlands get together.

14. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Anakin: "It's working...IT'S WORKING!!!" :D

Oh, I've got to stop that!

15. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    yes you must. It will distract me from my Karaoke solo. ;)

16. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    And what will you be singing? ;)

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Some Duran Duran song no doubt :p

18. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Oh, undoubtedly! :p

19. Squire

Squire Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    Hi, just stumbled upon this site (and this thread in particular) and registered. If you guys are planning some Star Wars events in the Midlands, I'd be interested in hearing details.

I belong to a sci-fi club in the West Midlands, and I know there are a few SW fans there who might be interested if something got off the ground. As for your venue discussion, we just hire a room at a working club. We find it very reasonable, family friendly and of course there's a bar!!

Sorry for being clueless, but what sort of things happen at FF events? Are they purely social meets or is it about SW costuming/gaming/cinema visits etc?

20. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    "Sorry for being clueless, but what sort of things happen at FF events? Are they purely social meets or is it about SW costuming/gaming/cinema visits etc?"

Hey, Squire. Welcome aboard!

Well, since we are only just starting out, at the moment we are just putting out feelers as to what we can do, or what we are willing to do. As for what you have mentioned above, they all sound like good ideas, and I'm sure we will all take that on board.

Now, you being a member of a sci-fi group, that's good because it sounds like you have some sort of knowledge about gatherings and the like. Any ideas/sugguestions will be greatly appreciated. Any experiences you may have had, good and bad, might also be worth mentioning too, as it will give us some idea of what we can expect.

All in all, we're happy to have you here! :)

21. Squire

Squire Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome!

As for the sci-fi club, I'm a just member not an organiser (it's the USS Victoria which is mainly Trek based), but they do a really good job in getting venues. Everyone basically chips in a quid or two at each meeting, and the cost of the venue is covered. Working clubs will offer good discounts as they can make more money from the bar! You have the added advantage that you would probably be in your own room, making it easier to hold your own events/presentations/screenings or whatever you end up wanting to do!

22. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    Echoing Happy Ninja's welcome Squire, it's good to have new members. I've met some of your comrades, please don't ask me about names I'm useless with 'em, it was at one of the memorabillia shows if I remember rightly a very organised buch of folks as I recall.

As for venues it really depends on two things, how many people you expect to attend and what kind of organised activites you have planned, as we're just starting out I don't think we need to look at booking a venue just yet, not that I don't think that we'll get to that stage but at the moment I think we need to start off with something informal, I know it's a cleche but a quiet corner in a local tavern or other such public building would be a good place to get to know our fellow members without any of the awkward bits.

Although these forums are an excellent place to discuss issues I think it's about time we all sat around a table and threw idea's at Happy Ninja, or even drinks if that takes your fancy, I suggest we meet up somewhere like Star City and work out some of the details, also it would be a great oppertunity to meet each other, at least then we'll have a better idea if this going to work or not.

P.S. I only mention Star City because it's not that hard to find and most of us have been there, if you would like to suggest an alternative please feel free.

23. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    somebody mention drinks? ;) anywhere would be good. i think we need to strike while the iron`s hot so to speak. if not star city what about birmingham town centre?

24. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    I could manage either, at a push but where is there a quiet tavern in the CITY centre ?

Ok to make this easier we need to know where people are comming from - I'm in Walsall and have transport, so anywhere around the area is do-able for me.

25. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Star City, or the City Centre - either is good for me.

And I'd rather people hand me drinks instead of throwing them...Tends to be a little messy, and it's a form of abuse...to the drink, not me. You don't want Ray Liotta turning up because you spilt a Heiniken!...Well, actually, that would be pretty funny.

Hey, you're in Walsall? Damn, not far from me...I only live around the corner from Curry's on Junction 9!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.