main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK:M's Future. Does it even have one?

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Jairen, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    From a purely outsiders perspective, I think calling you FF a SciFi and fantasy guild is a great idea as it allows you to become more inclusive.

I would like the Northern Chapter to head this direction too. I honestly don't know what we have in mind as I've kept out of the day to day stuff when Ogli became CR and with the majority of the events we have being in the NorthEast I can't get involved.

I hope to again soon when things happen in Manchester.

Branching out is great and expanding your appeal to cover a wider audience/membership base is great as well.

I support you albeit from a distance

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    [image=http://www.timbolton.freeserve.co.uk/forum_pics/maul_vision.jpg]

Terry, why don't you post the suggestion on the North boards then? It was already something that had been thought of tbh, though I think people will keep the FF-UK: North name and identity for now. In fact, it would be wrong of us to do the same as the Midlands since they are leading the way here, we should back them not take their thunder. As I understand it, a North member can also be part of what the Midlands are doing (the sci-fi club that is, not FF-UK:Midlands) and be North still too, is that correct Wiz? Since they will have membership packs and a non-SW identity. I will be happy to support them in that and be a member of that side of the Midlands venture, and also be FF-UK: North.

And there have been two NW meets so far - Manchester and Liverpool. Manchester was kinda big ;) I am NW based too, but it doesn't stop me from joining in, and opening my mouth, and I'd like to believe that the NE people who are more active don't mind that. And NW will only be more active when the older members actually get involved with non-convention meets and push the group forward. Jase is pushing for charity work with the Rebel Legion, charity work was always at the center of the New York Fan Force (MEPA) who I was part of way before Phill got the FF-UK off the floor. Its something non-exclusive to any club, but I think extremely important to ALL clubs. The costuming groups (Rebel Legion, UKG and KOTOR) all get involved, and it'd be nice to see the non-costuming groups do the same.

Sorry for hijacking this thread lads and ladies, just wanted to make those points :)
    When will this be ready for applications? Let me know :cool: :D

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I was unable to get to collectormania due to having discovered my partner was pregnant and other issues became more paramount.

I was gutted that I missed it.

It's difficult for me to justify day trips away as well these days with money being short so I am pretty much stuck with Manchester meets only ATM :(

When I got the Northern chapter up and running and all the momentum began I said in York that I would prefer us to be an all inclusive fandom covering all from Star Wars/Trek to fantasy D&D type stuff.

When the Chapter (correctly) picked Ogli for it's CR I (perhaps foolishly) took a back seat as I thought that Ogli would take the chapter forwards and diversify in his own ideals (which I thought followed my own)

Ogli took a slightly different course to what I expected but what he did was fantastic, in cementing the core group that we have, we have a very stable group of FFUKer's which is a great beginning and a solid foundation to build on.

TBH my approach over Ogli's would probably have overstretched our small user group and we would have imploded as we didn't initially have a solid structure to build from. this is something that Ogli has built and with the support of the North, other CR's and whoever the new RSA is our chapter and all the other chapters should flourish.

We should be taking on the great ideas of other chapters and adding them to the mixing pot of our own. So while the Midlands have got this in place there is no reason the North shouldn't look to do similar.

Remember there's a hundred miles between Manchester and Birmingham and even more up to Newcastle, I think a bit of idea borrowing would be acceptable as in the end it would be to the benefit of FFUK as a whole.

The midlands have started well and IMO this is the next rung on the ladder for all regions.

Good luck with it guys I hope to see other regions following soon.

4. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    actually Tim as in understand it we have only changed our name not the way we do things!! which means that it is still a Midlands ONLY chapter!!

we have only changed what we are called not the way we are conducting ourselves in relation to the FF-UK. as Phil has said we meet here. This is our Home.

5. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    No worries RJK, I was just looking at the potential for what the newly named chapter has, and if you start advertising further than the Midlands you will get applications for membership from outside lol. Mine is in the post :p But don't worry, I fully know you are the FF-UK: Midlands too!

6. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Aren't you part of the furniture around here anyway Tim ?? and MFB is always welcome around these parts as are most people.

7. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

as rjk88 posted, all we have done is change our name. we are still based here on these boards and will still be doing the same things just under a different banner so to speak. however, having folks from all over join the SFFG as full members could be something that as a group we could discuss at a future date. it is not something currently being discussed, but imho it shouldn't be dismissed entirely but filed away for future consideration, whether that be 2 months time or 2 years time.

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    :cool: Like I said, I'll be backing Midlands in whatever you do in terms of the chapter and other stuff, I just want one of those swanky membership packs :p

Part of the funiture lol Tay? Of course :) Question is, what part? :p I think it's the Scorpio in me, like to help out where-ever, so if I am being too helpfull make sure to tell me to buzz off ;)

9. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Although we are a MIdlands BASED group and our priority will be midlands members, I like having links to other regions. I certainly wouldnt want to exclude any one from coming to our shin digs, just as I would like to get to other areas meet ups.. some time in the next few years...

But hey C4 then, I'm bouncing off the walls !

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    North will always welcome you V ;) York twice this year :)

11. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    agreed 100% :D

12. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Ditto. I can't add anything that hasn't been mentioned already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.