main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK North (and Regional) Strategy for the Collectormania G-Mex

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    FF-UK North (and Regional) Strategy for the Collectormania G-Mex

Levels of attendance
    This will be the first time we structure how members of Fan Force attend a convention ? purely because we have a table there and we need some form of workable structure. Each member has a right to opt into (or out of) the attendance structure. If members just want to attend as they feel, there will be no pressure on members to take part in the tabling or costume support.

The structure is very basic and a trial for future convention attendance. If it works well, we?ll use it again ? we can change/adapt as we see fit. There is no hierarchy in this structure as such, so it should be noted all members are an equal part of the whole FF-UK representation. Chapter Representatives will obviously take a leadership role at such events, and if the Regional Support Adminstrator is present they will work with the Chapter Representatives to provide support for the organisational effort. Any help from members at these convention meets will be appreciated.

FF-UK Costumer
    A front line public relations role.
    You will be the face of the FF-UK, one that the public will definitely want to interact with, so you need to be prepared and happy to work with that level of contact. Costumers can be stationed near the table (that would be helpful) but are also free to wander around the convention complex. Please note there will be other costuming groups at the Manchester convention, some of the professional level.

FF-UK Costuming Support
    A vital assist role to the costumers, especially those costumers with restrictive costumes (visual, movement, temperature). You will carry water for the costumers with you, help with costume adjustments, and basically make sure the costumers are happy ? interaction with the public in this role is essential, since you will be making sure the costumer is not made uncomfortable by members of the public.

FF-UK Table Support
    The FF-UK table will be the focal point of our efforts. Costumers, Costuming Support, Table Support and attendees can use it as a base of operations and meeting place. Table Support staff are part of the front line public relations. You will have members of the public enquiring about what we are about, what we do, etc. So you will have to be polite, responsible and as informative as you can. You may also get some asking if they can buy the items on our table ? we aren?t allowed to sell from our table since it isn?t a ?dealers table?. The atmosphere on the table on previous occasions has been quite relaxed, it?s about having fun and just letting the public know about our organisation.

FF-UK Attendee
    You don?t have to take part in the other roles if you just want to attend the convention as part of the general public. It?s really up to each member how much they are happy to give when it comes to this. You are more than welcome to use the table as your meeting point and a place where you can hang out with other members of the Fan Force UK. It?s your choice and Fan Force is about what you want from it, not what we want from you.

The three levels (FF-UK Costumers, Costuming Support, and Table Support) active in our publicity drive will be provided with badges indicating their role. We still need the lanyards (necklaces) for the badges, so if these can?t be found cheaply soon we?ll have to go with a basic cord in a knot solution. We may need 30+, so price range we are looking for is below £1 each, preferably below £0.50 each.

Colour code for the backs of the badges - FF-UK Costumers (Red), Costuming Support (Green), and Table Support (Blue).

A guidelines document for FF-UK costuming is undergoing approval currently, it will be passed onto all the FF-UK Chapter Representatives once the two costuming members involved discussing it have got a final document ready. I plan to have it in place for Collectormania G-Mex for trial and assessment.

Age limit on Table Support
    At previous conventions, we have kept an

2. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    hi tim
    right on the money as usual, just to add something jase took a lend of my podracer curtain for the table. did get my pm?
    if there is anything else you want me to do just let me know i'll be in costume on the morning taking an hour or so to get my posters signed and some dinner and then back in costume for the rest of the event

3. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Jase let me know about the alternate tablecloth you have, let me see how I go with the version I am doing - it'll have FF-UK logos and other related stuff on it - so hopefully will be the version we use. Thanks Nige. And any help is great dude ;)

Can people post what capacity they can attend this convention in, so Sie (Spike2002) and I have an idea of the level of help we have. I know this is a second list to what we have in the other thread, so apologies.

1. timbolton (FF-UK Costuming Support and Table Support)

4. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    2. Whim (Table Support)

5. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    i think jase was thinking about using the podracer curtain as a 'back drop' for the table (incase its against a wall or to partition from tablebehind)
    2. nlindenj(ff-uk costume)sorry can't do more

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Dude, costuming is more than enough ;)

And ah, no I didn't know about the podracer idea. I'll chat with him.

2. Whim (FF-UK Table Support)
    3. nlindenj (FF-UK Costumer)

7. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    iam i still meeting you at your hotel (no filthy comments please:rolleyes: ) to get changed and going to the event to help out?
    it looks like dave isn't coming so it'll just be me

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    No problems on still meeting you ;)
    Does that make me Palps consort? :p

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    I guess I could help out on the table, though this is my first convo so I'll need time to look around and get a feel.

By the way, whats a good time to meet in Manchester so I can drop any stuff off?

10. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006

4. suzijedi (FF-UK Costumer) - this depends on if I checken out at the last minute! [face_chicken] If I don't wear my costume, I'll do anything else that's needed, I don't mind.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Coz, no worries, you attend as you feel. I hope you'll see how much fun we have at the con ;) Suzi - You'll have a lot of support there with you if you do, so no panicing. :cool:

4. suzijedi (FF-UK Costumer)
    5. ForceGhostOfCozmic (FF-UK Attendee)

12. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    4. suzijedi (FF-UK Costumer) - you will have 'Rebel Fleet Trooper support' from me - you'll do great! We always look after Royalty.
    6. edgejedi (Costuming and table support - whenever,wherever!)

ps. the podracing thing Nige has loaned me is a backdrop - for the exhibition stand I am hoping to bring....)

13. Voren

Voren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    Keep the strategy simple;

1) Meet at hotel bar
    2) Drink lots
    3) Beat up trekkies with lightsabres. ("We come in peace, my &%£@{}!")
    4) Drink more
    5) Eat junk/convention food

Well, maybe as a backup plan.

;)

Seriously though, I will not be able to help, but I hope to pop in over the weekend (work allowing).

Paul

14. Voren

Voren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    Had a thought...

Make sure you have pins or stiff velcro incase you have a backing board. Of the two I recomend the stiff type velcro, it sticks really well to the boards, and is easy to put up and remove/reposition.

Paul

15. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i think i'll definitely stop by and see what you guys are up to but since this is my first time ever at any such event (i think) i'd rather go and have a look around, if you don't mind.[face_blush]

i'm normally a good helpful direction-giving and gently-shooing-people-off person, mind you, i'd just really like to spend some time with exploring the place.

16. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ah shucks - and we were looking forward to seeing you again! Yoda still hasnt recovered from the ordeal when you looked up his robes you know DF.....[face_blush]

Come and say hi at least! Its my birthday after all and I deserve a present! :_|

17. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    darth_frared - :D You just enjoy yourself madame ;)

6. edgejedi (Costuming and table support)
    7. darth_frared (FF-UK Attendee)
    8. DewbackRider88 (FF-UK Table Support - Sunday)

Not sure Sie, but we seem to be a few (especially North) short here. Want to see what's keeping 'em from posting what they can do? I know we have two Londoners planning on FF-UK costuming.

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    spike and Ogli haven't put their names down in this thread, but both have said they're going, as best as I can recall. Tried texting spike yesterday to talk to him 'bout what he wanted to do for GMEX, but no reply. And I don't think Dave is coming anymore; money troubles or something.

Oh, and...

9. Spike2002 (FFUK Table Support, possible Costumer, if not will just sit there and look good ;))

19. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    Well, I'll just be an attendee. I might not be there on my own, so I can't abandon people.

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    That's no problem, mate. As long as you come over and say hello and meet the crew :)

21. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    9. Spike2002 (FFUK Table Support, possible Costumer, if not will just sit there and look good)
    10. Jedi_padawan_leigh (FF-UK Costumer and Table support)

22. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    I spoke to Lord O and Spike Thmid yesterday - both confirmed they are definately coming, so Ive added their lazy non posting butts to the list.

9. Spike2002 (FFUK Table Support, possible Costumer, if not will just sit there and look good)
    11. Lord Ogli (Costumer and Man In Suspenders)
    12. Spike_Thmid (Costumer and Kenobi Lookylikey - see below)
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/FFUK%20Leeds%20211006/101_0879.jpg]

23. AHP-233

AHP-233 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2006
    11. Lord Ogli (Costumer and Man In Suspenders)
    12. Spike_Thmid (Costumer and Kenobi Lookylikey - see below)
    13. Abstractharmony (Table Support (Saturday or Sunday)/Costume Support and bucket rattler).

24. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Hey there AHP! Will be great to see you there again - hopefully this time we wont be rushing around at the event so we can have a good natter!

25. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    oh, birthdays are my speciality! :D

i will definitely definitely come and see you and [:D] y'all! i was going to anyway, but now i feel extra invited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.