main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK: North @ Collectormania Manchester G-Mex - Sat 18th & Sun 19th Nov '06

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    ### Planning thread ###

Event: Collectormania Manchester G-Mex
    Date: Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th Nov 2006
    Venue: G-Mex Central Hall, Manchester, M2 3GX

Some related threads -

Collectormania Manchester report and open discussion about future meets

FF-UK:North Convention table planning - "Memories" book - help needed

My FF-UK: North T-shirt design - I can adapt for other people ;)

Table handout items (I posted this in the London thread here -
    **** FF-UK: London @ London Film and Comic Con News ****
    You may have noticed me mention something I am getting hold of for the table, Matt of course knew what I had planned, but it was a "wait and see" if it would arrive in time for LFCC. Well, it has. A big box.

I'd like to thank the generosity of a great company who I have had the pleasure of meeting several of their people at conventions, and spent many an hour chatting to via their website. And they have been generous. I asked Randy Stradley of Dark Horse Comics a while back if there was anything promotional-wise I could use for FF-UK convention tables. I am happy to promote Star Wars comics in the UK. Randy kindly got back to me, and said he'd send something. Well he sent more than just something. There have been three comics recently that were printed to get new comic readers into the DHC fold - they were "SW KOTOR/Rebellion #0", "SW Legacy #0" and a comic produced for Free Comic Book Day (http://www.freecomicbookday.com/) which I'll call "SW FCBD 2006". I won't go into amounts on here (I don't want Randy pestered by lurkers who try the same, but he sent quite a few) but I decided that we should split these over the two tables we have so far for the FF-UK - the LFFC in July, and the Manchester Collectormania G-Mex in November (it was from the last event there that I contacted Randy). And let's not forget the generosity of another company - Showmasters - for letting us have table space in the first place.

I chatted to Matt and also the people organising the Manchester event - there will be sets (of the three comics) for the general public, and hopefully a set each (or one to each couple) to the people who actually help behind the table (I need to know who is doing that, a list may be useful). It's Randy's gift, so these should go to the public first. We'll give them out to people who show interest in the FF-UK, not have them out on the table themselves since we only have so many per show.

And the comics are done by some big names of the SW comics scene - Doug Wheatley (Ep III adaption and many issues of SW Republic), Jan Duursema and John Ostrander (Quinlan Vos ring a bell?), and Brian Ching (KOTOR and Obsession).

So I'd like to give a =D= to Randy Stradley for being so kind to the fans. I'd appreciate if anyone working the tables are DHC posters to post on the DHC boards and thank DHC, if not post here and I'll let him know ;) :cool: :D

Gonna be fun! :)

That's a start, there is no accurate guest list yet of course. But I believe we have the chance of a table again.

2. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ...just so it doesnt get lost in the planning...I will make a reminder here that this is also Tim and Jase's birthday weekender too...lol.

Not that we are expecting any huge presents or anything...or even reasonably big presents....but if we take you round the stalls - can we pick our presents out then?

For the night time maybe we could find a decent place to eat this time, minus the chavs?

3. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    Blimey Tim - well done you :D

I will be in attendance and might actually stay for the evening this time. And yes, I will lead you to a place free of chavs (once I've found one in Manchester that is). Barracuda is rather nice ;) Small eating area though.

Will be able to help behind the table. Alas, still no costume - one day Gadget, one day ;)

4. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Haha! Sorry Jase, I keep forgetting that! And you forgot something too hehe :p

Not only is it Jase's (16th) and my own birthday (20th) around the event, we will also be celebrating the 1st Birthday for the FF-UK: North :D All three Scorpios!!!

I just noticed Verity and Darkinhere are also birthday people on 11th Nov. Anyone else while we are at it lol?

I was gobsmacked when I learned what we were getting from DHC Caroline, I just expected a poster or two to stick up and maybe a few little things to hand out. I will never hear a bad word about Randy from anyone on the Lit forums again, he does give a **** about fans, and he shows it. And don't worry about costume, I won't be. I support costumers, but it'll take a very strong-willed person to convince me into a cossie. But we'll have T-shirts :D

I just did a mock/finished version (dependant on say-so) for an insert to stick in the London gift bag, we'll have one similar for the Manchester con -

[image=http://www.timbolton.freeserve.co.uk/ffuk_regional/web_show.jpg]

Let me know what you think :)

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    If you like all like tapas I'll recommend El Rincon. (Book a week or so in advance though)

I don't think I'll make it to this again :( as I'll more than likely just have become a father again.

But being a Manc I'll help in what way I can.

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Congrats Terry! :cool:

7. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005

Don't worry Jase, I'll buy you the same as I got you last year [face_whistling]

Tim - I really like the flyer, top notch work (as always)

and congrats on the potential increase to the clan Terry

I'm getting excited already by the prospect of Collectormania [face_dancing]

8. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Congratulations Master-Fatburt :D

Nice insert Tim. Blimey, you've got talent.

9. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Thats great Tim. Lets hope we have as good a responce as last time.

I spoke to Leigh a while ago about us using her laptop as Jairen did in Feb and she said thats ok. I'll put together a little presentation that we can loop on there with little clips and info on the FFUK. (Jase I still got that video of you playin air guitar with your lightsaber :p)

So that, flyers I presume again. hopefully our memory book on the tabe. On the flyer front will you have time to make up a new one Tim? If not I'm sure I can put something together (though not as good as yours *Face_shameless_asskissing*) I'll happily chip in to get em printed etc.

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    We'll have a new flyer and the memories book will be done on time. I have till November ;)

11. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    glad your diary is now working Tim :p

have you retired the post it note principal now?

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    [image=http://imageserver0.textamerica.com/user.images.x/27/IMG_389027/_1119/T40411190701411.jpg]

Not quite yet :)

13. jedidonkey

jedidonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2006
  14. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    As of now, i think Im able to attend this. so at the moment Im IN!

15. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Most excellent Orn :cool: :D

16. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Indeed. The more the merrier.

So who plans to costume at this event? As well as some people on the table crew I'd like some people to be visible outside too. Hand out leaflets etc when people are stuck in cues and can't run away. [face_mischief]

17. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Ogli - costumes are already there dude and hope you can join us in the *uh-hum* - 'correct' costume! :eek:

Same succesfull plan as last time, although there will be more Rebel Legion members there this time, supporting the table by costuming out front. We have already been given permission to collect for Starlight at this event by Showmasters.

Its a little way off yet, but I will be able to tell you what characters will be coming nearer the time. Could we get FF:L's Darth Konicus and Kiz-Joa_Janall up? :confused: They would make a mean pair of a Vader and a Biker Scout and I cant wait to see them at LFCC!

18. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Matt & Koren are mine, all mine I tell's ya, you can't have them :p ;)

I hope to make it too, but I'm very sketchy with plans at the moment.
    I also hope we get the backingboard this time round.

I'll keep checking this thread, I may need to put myself down for a hotel room share.

19. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Ok, with this being FFUK:N's first birthday too how many ppl will be able/willing to make a long weekend out of it?

I propose some sort of activity on the Fri night. Something that doesn't require us to be out too late or get bladdered as we have to be up early on sat morning. I think Bowling is a good Idea, Did this for the first time on wed and it was good fun, If we get a few Midlands and southerners up too we could maybe even have an inter chapter comp.

Anyway, opinions and ideas are most welcome.

20. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    costumes? birthdays? collecting?:eek: [face_dancing]

the thing is, i don't really have any costumes or anything. but it still sounds fun. :D

21. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Imho, this is a must. The last one was great fun and there's so much to buy - all that shopping :p

And of course the autographs if you like that kind of thing ;)

22. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    don't worry, the costumes are optional.

out of the regulars on this board there are only really me (though I haven't got a lightsaber yet :_|), edgejed88, jedi_master_booth & Lord_Ogli (have I missed anyone out :confused:) with Jedi Robes etc.

L->R Darkinhere, JediPadawanLeigh (currently in USA), Spike_Thmid, Spike2002, Lord Ogli, JediMasterBooth, Edgejedi88
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/RL%20NSPCC%20Boro%20200506/201_0150.jpg]

Collectormania will be my 1st convention [face_dancing] ([face_shhh] Don't mention Bristol Tim :p)

23. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    oh, i LOVE autographs, getting them from people i don't know and getting all flustered and also not being able to ask a single intelligent question... tis all fun :D

and i also love people dressing up. if someone could make one of padme's dresses work for me, that'd be a hoot. i can do a good cousin it impersonation, if that is required, though :p

24. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, I will never get a costume, but I manage to survive ;)

As for a Cousin It impression, u must have really long hair.

Either that, or you're just very hairy ;)

25. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    you'll find out, trust me :p

(if my mobile and my comp would cooperate in a manner, i could post my cousin it pic.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.