main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK: North @ Collectormania Manchester G-Mex - Sat 18th & Sun 19th Nov '06

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    Okay - I've thought, discussed with a person or two and here are the conclusions :) Not in question format tbh - more complexity required, but not much.

A great effort was put in by ALL at the event from what I heard so congrats to everyone.

Things have been said and I need to clarify things because credit has been taken where credit is not due and things have happen that should not have happened and tbh, if the boundaries and explanation for the table had been given previously then perhaps these things would not have happened.

Table: the free table was as a FFUK table. This has been clarified. However, we are not guaranteed one for March. Any tables required by other groups have to be negotiated with the Showmaster's contact. Our sharing of the table has confused them somewhat so next time, if a free table comes up aimed at FFUK, it will be an FFUK table. Costuming groups can negotiate their own arrangements, I'm not sure if they are given things free or not - that's for them to negotiate, etc. Tim is a major factor in our continued support from Showmasters - he has impressed the Big Guy - respect the man please!

Support: whilst we have our own table, that does not preclude us from supporting and working together with other groups, without favour to any particular one. I don't see why we cannot crew for the 99th, UKG, KOTE, RL or costume, etc., but it will have to be organised as part of the costuming group plans and then organisation of table staffing, etc. can be planned around what plans people have.

Due to what has been going on and upsets and what nots, things will have to be different in March and they will be, trust me, they will be ;)

I hope that cuts the politics short and maybe gives clarity as to why that table came our way.

Caroline

2. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    TBH the only think I find disturbing about all this is the attempt to include club politics when there is just no need. Some of you are talking like we need to re-invend the wheel when the only issue is a bluring of the lines as to which group is which.

The table had a FFUK table cloth and FFUK leaflets, maybe the FFUK banner shoulda been there with/instead of the RL one (I know you don't like it Tim but til we get a new one its all we have), but other than that all we need to stop confusion in the future is to engage the public better.

As for the table situation itself I still say that the simplest way to resolve our issues there are to talk to our showmasters contact an arrainge a discounted table rather than a free one and in return have them provide us with the support and recognition that they give to their paying customers.

3. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    The Showmaster's contact has spoken to me this morning. I am enlightened. Wish he'd let me know about certain confusion earlier but then I suffer from depression in the winter and wasn't exactly rational so he let me be and I he.

Tis a shame people have looked to Tim as the origin of the costuming question - was mine, and one he did not wish to raise, but I asked him to.

We may not get a free table in March as that arrangement ran out with November's but will see. The table is FFUK general btw, not North - maybe we could get something from other chapters for the next one if they want to donate anything :)

4. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Please remember these words - fun, fandom, friendship and Fan Force. If you cant comprehend them or feel upset by them, then please do not read further.

We had fun at GMEX.
    We did fandom at GMEX.
    We made friends and hung out with friends at GMEX (right across clubs).
    FanForce was at GMEX.
    We collected over £100 for charity at GMEX.

I cant believe that such a good fun event has been turned into 'an issue' and that people have got 'upset' by it. Dont get upset. This is an internet message board. There are much worse issues out there in life. Chill out people! Celebrate the success of the event - dont pick at it.

The people who went know how much it rocked. Thats all that counts and dont knock it. The minor issues are minor issues to be discussed by CRs, Tim and amongst other groups who FF work with.

5. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    Well said Jase =D=

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Seconded, Jase. =D=

7. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    Okay, you don't like my posts - sorry :p

I did say I'd post once I knew what to say. You were warned!

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    We may not get a free table in March as that arrangement ran out with November's but will see. The table is FFUK general btw, not North - maybe we could get something from other chapters for the next one if they want to donate anything

I hate to say this, but the table this time round might as well have been North. Everyone who worked at the table was North, the two Midlands members that came to GMEX were either there to get autographs and hang around with their friends, or were costuming for KOTE and didn't approach the table, and the only other person from another chapter was DewbackRider, who did hang out with us, but wasn't there to man the table. It might be an FFUK table to Showmasters, but it takes place in our territory, North members are the ones who take care of the table, and since Manchester is in the North, our customer base is Northern.

Imagine going to the Midlands or London and telling them that since their tables are "FFUK tables" there should be a pile of stuff from North, South, London, Wales and Scotland cluttering up their table. I don't think they'd be too happy.

9. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
  10. Maffew

Maffew Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2006
    If it mean anything, I think it was quite clear that the FF group was purely for Star Wars fans with costuming chucked in if you want as opposed to a fully-fledged dressing up group like the group positioned strategically next to yours. The guy who was at the table made that clear. In a a nice way, I should point out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.